Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86964 - 04/01/10 08:27 AM Buying Renfe Ave tickets online--HELP!!!!!
MaryB Offline

Yesterday I naively tried to buy tickets from Sevilla to Madrid for July 10. The website did show me two choices for that day, and I selected on and continued to enter all the info (name, cc, etc). When I hit "purchase" the website told me it was contacting my bank. In a moment, I got an error message. Then I got a call from my bank, asking about this tansaction (so an attempt was made to purchase them). I told the bank OK, and I tried again. Same thing. I tried two different credit cards (after first calling the bank).Another (new) error code. I read on Fodors.com that people have this problem all the time. I though it was because I was more than 64 days from the date of travel, but then why would two options show up on that date? Other earlier dates have many more tains that show available. HELP?????

#86965 - 04/01/10 09:24 AM Re: Buying Renfe Ave tickets online--HELP!!!!! [Re: MaryB]
Jan D Offline

Loc: Isle of Wight UK
I've purchased tickets from the Renfe site using a UK Debit Card.

Are you in the USA? I've read on other forums of people having trouble making Airline reservations using American issued Credit Cards.
() / ()

#86967 - 04/01/10 09:37 AM Re: Buying Renfe Ave tickets online--HELP!!!!! [Re: Jan D]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
Renfe site is ups and downs, but you should be able to purchase it, just patient will do, keep trying.

#86968 - 04/01/10 07:12 PM Re: Buying Renfe Ave tickets online--HELP!!!!! [Re: pedmar]
MaryB Offline

Yes, I'm in the USA. I wondered if that might be an issue. I'll keep trying. I know that the Renfe site has problems. Thanks for the feedback!

#86969 - 04/01/10 08:03 PM Re: Buying Renfe Ave tickets online--HELP!!!!! [Re: MaryB]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
The Renfe site does have itīs problems .. Normally you can only buy tickets 60 days ahead of your journey . That may have been the problem .
But I had problems about a year ago trying to book tickets for a pop concert ... on the telephone . It was a high profile concert and I was using the Caixa banksīs reservation system ( A huge bank here ) . They would NOT accept my British credit card ( mastercard ) and I eventually had to use my Spanish bank card . Itīs very bizarre !
Banking in Spain can be a little difficult ( to say the least ) . I regurlarly have to withdraw 500 >Euros from my account , via an ATM , to pay for my rent . The bank wil charge me something like 8 Euros for the transaction ! .. In the UK ATM transactions are free . It drives me crazy .

#86970 - 04/02/10 12:28 PM Re: Buying Renfe Ave tickets online--HELP!!!!! [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

really Steve? I have never ATM charges in Spain when using my US VIsa card or French for that matter....In Spain I withdraw from Barclays, the one by plaza de Colon corner with Castellana.

#86971 - 04/02/10 12:50 PM Re: Buying Renfe Ave tickets online--HELP!!!!! [Re: MaryB]
Jan D Offline

Loc: Isle of Wight UK
Originally Posted By MaryB
Yes, I'm in the USA. I wondered if that might be an issue. I'll keep trying. I know that the Renfe site has problems. Thanks for the feedback!

Let us know when/how you resolve this
() / ()

#86972 - 04/02/10 02:09 PM Re: Buying Renfe Ave tickets online--HELP!!!!! [Re: Jan D]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Pedmar . I have a Barclays near my place ... Iīm going to try that . Thanks for the info !

#87005 - 04/06/10 10:08 AM Re: Buying Renfe Ave tickets online--HELP!!!!! [Re: steve robinson]
patrick_f Offline

Mary - I'm in the US and I just went through the same thing with Citibank. It took about 5 tries for each train ticket i booked, plus 3 calls with the fraud department. Plus both of the Spanair plane tickets i bought triggered a fraud alert. My suggestion is to get on the phone with someone in your credit cards fraud department and vent some of your frustration on them. That is what i eventually had to do.

On a slightly different note, the train was worth the extra effort and cost over flying. The high speed train was super nice and comfortable, one of the better travel experiences i have had in many years. Spanair was pretty bad - late and the least leg room I have ever seen.

#87023 - 04/08/10 11:57 AM Re: Buying Renfe Ave tickets online--HELP!!!!! [Re: patrick_f]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

I have a Barclays near my place

Steve check if your bank where you have the card is a correspondant bank with Barclays, this is the deal
its call Global ATM Alliance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_ATM_Alliance

good luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments