Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#86815 - 03/17/10 07:22 AM Re: Former US Air Base in Torrejon de Ardoz [Re: gazpacho]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
Well glad we got off the politics, its still has wounds in Spain not heal for those Spaniards who cant forget.
As to if it was better for you then than now its a matter of opinion not worth arguing it over. I still think Spain is special to be there and live like I had and keep coming back to it every year and lately every month.
So enjoy Spain and especially Madrid and surely Torrejon Air Base.

#86830 - 03/18/10 01:45 PM Re: Former US Air Base in Torrejon de Ardoz [Re: pedmar]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Well.

The breads gotten much better.

#86852 - 03/20/10 02:35 PM Re: Former US Air Base in Torrejon de Ardoz [Re: gazpacho]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Good words Pedmar , Buenas palabras !

#86884 - 03/24/10 10:45 PM Re: Former US Air Base in Torrejon de Ardoz [Re: steve robinson]
MedicalMan Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I was not stationed at Torrejon. I was at the NATO Base in Pozuelo De La Alarcon. I just left there in 2007 and it is one of the highlights of my 25 years in the Navy. There are still a few American service members stationed at Torrejon, but they work directly with the Spanish Air Force. My 3 years of living, working and playing in Madrid will always be one we will talk about for the rest of my life. We plan on returning in the years to come to see our beautiful city again.....but living in Honolulu, Hawaii right now is not bad either....:)

#87180 - 04/28/10 03:30 PM Re: Former US Air Base in Torrejon de Ardoz [Re: Jim Costello]
Jim Costello Offline

Loc: New York City
Another coincidence regarding the former United States air base in Torrejon de Ardoz. In my first message on this trend I wrote about meeting three persons who were involved with the air base. The first was a barber who cut the hair of US military personnel, the second was a member of the Air Force of Spain, and the third was the owner of the Texaco Rancho restaurant in Madrid.

On Tuesday evening, April 27, 2010 Martha, my wife, and I were at the New York University, King Juan Carlos I of Spain center (in NYC) for a symposium, "Spain 1975-2010: The Present After the Future".

While waiting for the program to begin we were talking with other guests about Spain. Martha told them that our daughter went to NYU, studied in Madrid, and now resides in Terrojon de Ardoz. A man who introduce us to his wife said that they are from Madrid and now live in New York City. He told us that when he was young he had a friend in the USAF stationed in Torrejon and he would go to the base to learn English. The man continued to tell us how the top officers of the base helped him with personnel references. The man is a retired medical doctor who appreciated the help he received from the USAF members at the air base in Torrejon.

Another man then joined our conversation and when he found out that we were talking about Torrejon, he said in a loud voice,
"I was born in Torrejon". He said his American mother came to work at the air base in 1953 and meet his father a Spaniard. They got married and continue to live in Madrid. This man is a professor at New York University, Department of Spanish and Portuguese Languages and Literature. What a small world,

#87185 - 04/29/10 03:50 PM Re: Former US Air Base in Torrejon de Ardoz [Re: Jim Costello]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
indeed a small world, and great you had those encounters there. sure was nice.thanks for sharing it.

#87644 - 06/22/10 02:22 PM Re: Former US Air Base in Torrejon de Ardoz [Re: Jim Costello]
Jim Costello Offline

Loc: New York City
On my last holiday in Madrid in June 2010, I meet ten members of the United States Air Force who were assigned to the former air base in Torrejon de Ardoz. These men were at the air base between the 1960s to the 1980s. Some of them retired from the USAF while in Torrejon and others retired from different stations but returned to the Madrid. They met Spanish women and now live in the Madrid and Torrejon area. The men belong to 2 organizations the American Legion Isabel La Catolica Post and the Association of former members and friends of Torrejon Air Base.

Jose the barber who worked at the air base comes to their place (mail room in Torrejon) and cuts their hair. I had a good time talking with them about the air base, Madrid/Torrejon and they enjoyed talking about the USA.

#87745 - 07/06/10 08:30 AM Re: Former US Air Base in Torrejon de Ardoz [Re: Jim Costello]
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Several years ago, at NavSta Rota waiting for a SpaceA hop back to CONUS, I met a lady who was a Dependent of an Officer assigned to the NATO Detachment at Torrejon AB. Torrejon may have closed as an Active Air Force Base; but it still housed (or houses) a NATO Detachment with USAF Officers assigned.
BTW
I was stationed at Torrejon AB Mar., 1960 - Dec., 1961, married a Spanish girl from Madrid: coming up on 49 years married

#87747 - 07/06/10 02:50 PM Re: Former US Air Base in Torrejon de Ardoz [Re: Eddie]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Eddie,

I bet Spain was really nice then, and really inexpensive. I also was at Rota for a day trip in 1997, right before I got out of the Reserves. While the crew was only interested in staying on the base, about four of us enlisted men decided, well, I decided actually, to catch the next train to Seville. We walked around for several hours, had some Spanish food, well, all but the crew chief who had to eat at Burger King. It was so nice to be the only one in the group that even spoke a minimal amount of Spanish.

Glad to hear your marriage worked out. I married a Philippina girl while stationed at Torrejon. We just celebrated our 30th anniversary. Great memories.

Gazpacho

#87826 - 07/12/10 09:26 AM Re: Former US Air Base in Torrejon de Ardoz [Re: gazpacho]
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Originally Posted By: gazpacho
Eddie,
I bet Spain was really nice then, and really inexpensive. I also was at Rota for a day trip in 1997, right before I got out of the Reserves. While the crew was only interested in staying on the base, about four of us enlisted men decided, well, I decided actually, to catch the next train to Seville. ...

That's similar to what I did my last visit there. We flew to Rota with VR52 (USNR); went to Huelva where (wife's) cousins have a couple of Condos in Mazagon. Unfortunally, they hadn't come down from Madrid yet; so we just did some shopping. We caught a Damas SA Bus back to Sevilla Plaza de Armas) and a Comes SA Bus (from Sevilla's Prado de San Debastian Bus Terminal) to el Puerto de Santa Maria. We stayed at Hotel Santa Maria; saw the Parade of boats from the Hotel Rooftop (it was 16 jul: la Virgen de Carmen). I say 'we.' It was me and a retired Air Force Colonel (O6 ) with whom I had SpaceA'd on an earlier trip to Ireland. But that's a whole nuther story.

About 6-or-7 years ago we had lunch with wife's brother and Family. It turns out that Wife's Sister-in-Law's brother is President of the Bank in Torrejon de Ardoz. I don't know if it's Bancco de Santander or what but Carlos (that's his name) has a beautiful wife.

Edited by Eddie (07/14/10 08:42 AM)
Edit Reason: expand on the theme

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07, Anne Marie
7771 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
1 registered (robbieroy), 650 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments