Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#86798 - 03/14/10 01:50 PM Re: Former US Air Base in Torrejon de Ardoz [Re: pedmar]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
When I was a kid I remember going to the airbase a few times , we had a few American friends who worked there . The store had all the American brands but they meant nothing to me .The biggest surprise was the school asosciated with the base had a grass soccer pitch , there wasn't many of them about .
We also used to listen to radio Torrejon all the time in the car .
The ribs place is still there (well rebuilt after ETA blew it up. They have resturants all over Madrid now. They are decked out like an American style place , but the ribs are still good .

#86800 - 03/14/10 09:13 PM Re: Former US Air Base in Torrejon de Ardoz [Re: eskimo joe]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Pedmar,

I get the feeling that if I'd initiated my side of the debate, I'd be shut down right away on this website, yet your side seems always to get a free pass. Let's just say that I, and my wife who lived there longer than I, disagree with your opinion/observation. I've been back to Spain a few times recently, and just don't find it as special as it used to be.

gazpacho

#86802 - 03/15/10 05:25 AM Re: Former US Air Base in Torrejon de Ardoz [Re: pedmar]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
That's right. Let's try to keep politics out of it and discuss the US Air Base for what it was, an air base in Madrid. Thanks.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#86804 - 03/15/10 06:57 AM Re: Former US Air Base in Torrejon de Ardoz [Re: MadridMan]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
Is Spain better now rather than then , for me yes, you can now get torta de casar outside of Extremadura .
I dont think it has anything to do with politics, I think you can liken it to music . Most people prefer the music of their youth compared to the music nowadays. It might not nessacarily be better , but it was what they liked at an important time in your life , and associate it with being better.

#86806 - 03/15/10 08:58 AM Re: Former US Air Base in Torrejon de Ardoz [Re: eskimo joe]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I like your comparison, eskimo joe. I live with teenagers now and have to listen to their music a lot. I find that much of it, I actually enjoy (plus it helps me to understand where they're coming from) So, I would add that being open minded to music and other things can be a very enriching experience. My first visit to Spain was in 1991 and from then till 2009, Spain has gotten much better. (although I loved my first visit very much) It just seemed cleaner to me this past year.

#86807 - 03/15/10 09:05 AM Re: Former US Air Base in Torrejon de Ardoz [Re: teachertraveler8]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Very well put, eskimo joe. Thank you.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#86808 - 03/15/10 10:12 AM Re: Former US Air Base in Torrejon de Ardoz [Re: MadridMan]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Fine.

teachertraveler8, let's not try to keep our minds so open that all our brains fall out.

Gazpacho

#86809 - 03/15/10 12:12 PM Re: Former US Air Base in Torrejon de Ardoz [Re: gazpacho]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
I have very fond memories of the base as I stayed there for a week or so back in the Summer of 82'. An American family member was stationed at the base, so one year our family spent 3 weeks with with him and his. I clearly remember being woken-up every morning at 5:00 by the jets roaring over head.

It was my first visit to Spain. Over the course of our 3 week stay, we visited: Valencia, Cordoba, Sevilla, Alicante and La Roda de Albecete.

By the way, the family member that was stationed there met and married his wife in Madrid. They had two kids and they are still living in Madrid, now, working for the US Embassy. It's wonderful to have family in Madrid! When we visit we feel like we have a home away from home.

I'm amazed to hear so many have had some experience with the old base.

Edited by Rodolfo (03/15/10 01:04 PM)

#86810 - 03/15/10 01:11 PM Re: Former US Air Base in Torrejon de Ardoz [Re: Rodolfo]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
I forgot to mention that when we were in Madrid last October, my uncle wanted to take us to his favorite restaurant in town. I thought for sure he would be taking us to a traditional place in town. No, we went to La Casa de las Castillas!

Very good food but not local fare.

#86811 - 03/15/10 09:24 PM Re: Former US Air Base in Torrejon de Ardoz [Re: Rodolfo]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

There are a couple of other regular, or were regular posters that served, like yours truly, at Torrejon. I just don't remember who they were. I suppose I could do a search. Maybe MedicineMan?

Ah yes, I thought so Desert Dweller and TJGuy.

Gazpacho

Edited by gazpacho (03/15/10 09:29 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07, Anne Marie
7771 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
1 registered (robbieroy), 650 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments