Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86120 - 12/26/09 04:46 AM Warning for the adventurous appetites! tapas!
perruno Offline

There are a very few tapas like: callos, brains and sweetbreads you should not take lightly. This is tough stuff, not for the beginner. You can see what happens when naive girls go into the tough stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC7AIBOoAgI
salud!

#86122 - 12/26/09 08:50 AM Re: Warning for the adventurous appetites! tapas! [Re: perruno]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I once ate a bowl of callos ... all of it ... The taste was good but the texture was awful ! I only ate it all because I didn´t want to look like a foreigner ! That was here in Madrid .
In Girona I had Setos Fritos ( Fried brains ) and was not impressed but I was on a table with 8 people from Catalunya ...
Those are the only two things I can ever say I will never eat again ! I love being adventurous and trying different things . Sweetbreads I really like . Good video clip Perruno .. and welcome from me to the message board as I see you´ve only recently joined .

#86124 - 12/26/09 12:50 PM Re: Warning for the adventurous appetites! tapas! [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hehehe.... Yeah. I get some of the same reactions whenever newcomers go out for tapas with us. Before visiting Spain I never would have even CONSIDERED trying (let alone ENJOYING!) a lot of the Spanish foods I now love.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#86125 - 12/26/09 01:58 PM Re: Warning for the adventurous appetites! tapas! [Re: MadridMan]
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
It appears to me over the last several years that the availibility of some of the more "exotic" tapas is shrinking as the older guys retire. It's been a while since I came across coagulated blood, huevos seco or rinoñes.

I'm pretty sure the bar in the video was El Lacon on c/Manuel Fernandez Gonzalez. Great food and they do wonderful Entrecot Cebon Gallego, where you cook it yourself on a hot plate. Great fried eggplant and I like the salad with anchovies and red pimientos.

Matt

#86126 - 12/26/09 02:03 PM Re: Warning for the adventurous appetites! tapas! [Re: MadridMan]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Callos !or love or hate!..I love and the best for me in the tavern J.Blanco C/ tabernillas, 13

#86133 - 12/27/09 07:06 AM Re: Warning for the adventurous appetites! tapas! [Re: jazz]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
if they havent try all that you are not been to Spain, we eat almost everything ,nothing is wasted ::) and deliciious!

#86135 - 12/27/09 11:14 AM Re: Warning for the adventurous appetites! tapas! [Re: pedmar]
perruno Offline

This guy is going to ruin Madrid and the tapas culture!!! he is a tapas serial killer!. I caught him again! but this time trying to choke to death a poor British journalist. He gives our friend a glass of a yellow, cloudy liquid that almost kills the chap. But what really leaves me speechless is the way this tapas psyco laughs when he sees one of his victims fall. Not to be missed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGKGwuOPx28

#86141 - 12/28/09 11:59 AM Re: Warning for the adventurous appetites! tapas! [Re: perruno]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I wouldn't worry too much, perruno. He's just one drop in the bucket of tapas tour guides. People are likely to realize his are more "extreme tapas". Those elements on either end of any spectrum always gather more attention than those in the middle because they're unusual.

I have to say, perruno, you sound to have a personal interest in the guy, two postings on our message board and they're only on this topic. Hmmm... We welcome your participation on other topics as well! smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#86749 - 03/08/10 05:14 PM Re: Warning for the adventurous appetites! tapas! [Re: perruno]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I saw this guy, James Fraser, just tonight as I was walking down Calle de Arenal. He was conducting a tour of about 10 people. I thought I'd recognized him from the YouTube video posted by the OP, perruno.

According to the description of his tours on Frommers:
Quote:
If you like eating and drinking as well as walking and would like some local experts to show you where and how to combine the two, then contact Adventurous Appetites (tel. 63-XXX-XX-73; www.adventurousappetites.com). The tapa bar tour is run by resident Englishman James Fraser; his trips depart from the statue of the bear and madroño tree in Puerta del Sol at 8pm, Monday to Saturday, and cost 45€ ($72) a head. Maximum size of group is six.

There's no way there were only six people in that group. 45€ per head? I assume that includes all the food and wine. If not, well....

Saludos, MadridMan

#86751 - 03/09/10 06:45 AM Re: Warning for the adventurous appetites! tapas! [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
another one to avoid in overburden Spain, great tourist paying 45€ for a tapas tour Lol!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments