Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#86608 - 02/17/10 09:49 AM camera repair in Madrid
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Would anyone know where to go to get a Canon digital camera repaired in Madrid? My daughter who lives in Madrid just told me that her camera is broken! She is devastated because she is going on a trip to Norway this weekend. Does anyone have any ideas? thanks!!

#86610 - 02/17/10 06:51 PM Re: camera repair in Madrid [Re: esperanza]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
THIS is an excellent question. My SONY digital camera is on the blink, the fritz, it's not working properly and would love to inquire about this too.

EVEN if she did find someplace to repair it, they wouldn't do it on-the-spot, in time for her weekend trip. That's a given. In fact, MOST places, I believe, don't even fix them on-site anyway. They send it out to some center or factory where they do it there. So you're looking at several weeks turn-around.

I'D recommend she simply buy a cheap-o digital camera for around 100 Euros (or less!) just for the trip - there are MANY on the market now. She could go to FNAC or PC CITY or Media Markt. I'm guessing the digital camera repair will cost more than that.

Best of luck. Please do let us know how it turned out!

Saludos, MadridMan

P.S. Hope she has a wonderful time in Norway. Wow!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#86623 - 02/19/10 02:15 PM Re: camera repair in Madrid [Re: MadridMan]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
If I were her Esperanza , I´d ask maybe a friend in Madrid if they could lend her a camera for the trip to Norway and then think about replacing her camera at a later date . With digital cameras now and the memory chips it´s no big deal . The only problem would be if she lost it or had it stolen , in which case she´d have to replace it .

#86626 - 02/20/10 07:00 AM Re: camera repair in Madrid [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

That's a good idea, Steve! I hadn't thought about that. Nowadays, everyone has a compact digital camera. Surely one of her dozens of university friends could lend her one - although I think she already left (today? yesterday?). What did she finally do, esperanza? Do you know yet?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#86629 - 02/20/10 09:04 AM Re: camera repair in Madrid [Re: MadridMan]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Well, thanks for the suggestions. She bought an inexpensive (?) camera at FNAC before she left and we are hoping that she can still try to get the other one repaired when she comes back to NY.
Right now they are in Copenhagen for a couple of days and then back to Oslo. I cannot wait to hear about that part of the world!!

#86631 - 02/20/10 11:24 AM Re: camera repair in Madrid [Re: esperanza]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

I had to replace my compact some months ago and was surprised at how expensive they still are ! I bought a regular Sony camera and it cost me something like €150 ! I´ve never been to Scandinavia , apart from a brief ( and very pleasant ) stop in Helsinki on my way to Moscow . Helsinki airport is a dream !! The food is exceptional and they even have saunas ( cheap ) to relax in at the airport itself .
My aunt used to live in Norway and loved it ... the only downside being that it´s incredibly expensive !!!
Stockholm is very high on my wishlist right now ! I hope your daughter has a great time .. and plenty of photos of course !

#86637 - 02/21/10 05:42 AM Re: camera repair in Madrid [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Glad your daughter was able to take SOMETHING on her trip. At least she can continue to use the-cheap-one at the bars and such where she won't mind so much losing it, breaking it, or dropping it into a flaming cauldron of Queimada if that should happen. hehehe...

There's a SONY store on the south side of the Gran Vía, between Callao and Plaza España, which I believe does repairs - but last time I went by, last month, they were closed for renovations so I couldn't ask. My camera, a SONY, needs repair as well. I'm rather sure they'll tell me it'd cost less to buy a new one than to fix the 2-year old camera but we'll see.

Saludos, MadridMan

#86641 - 02/21/10 12:57 PM Re: camera repair in Madrid [Re: MadridMan]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

I´m pretty sure I´ve walked past a Sony store on Calle Barquillo ( M. Banco de España ) .. That street is pretty good for all things electrical .

#86681 - 02/25/10 01:35 PM Re: camera repair in Madrid [Re: steve robinson]
Val Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi, I also had this problem after my son dropped his digital camera. I got it fixed at Fokus Reparaciones. I was happy with my experience there. They are not cheap, but will give you an estimate for free and then you can decide. They also sell second hand cameras. They are located near Sol on Calle de Carreta, 12 (inside a kind of small shopping mall). They have a website (reparacionesfokus.com) and their phone number is 915316398. My only complaint was that their hours are rather limited (if I remember they are only open in the mornings on weekdays - so phone first). Good luck and sorry if this is too late...just saw the post!

Edited by Val (02/25/10 01:37 PM)

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 744 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments