Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#86413 - 01/26/10 03:31 PM El Bulli to close 2012 and 2013
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
A Twitter buddy, Janelle Norman, just mentioned El Bulli's closing for the years 2012 and 2013. Man, those people who were lucky enough to get reservations for 2012 are going to be VERY UPSET!

According to the El País article, El Bulli's famed chef Ferran Adrià made the announcement today at Madrid's feria gastronómica Madrid Fusión, citing "professional and personal" reasons for the closing. Kinda makes you wonder, don'it? I wonder why his wonderfully trained chefs couldn't just take over during those two years of Adrià's sabbatical(?).

Has anyone reading this ever been?

Personally, I'm not much for high-priced, high-style restaurants where you have an exquisite eating experience of microscopic portions from a world famous chef - and then you go home and order a pizza because you're still hungry.

CAN I GET AN AMEN?!! (don't leave me hangin'!)

Saludos, MadridMan

Below: 2007, 10-minute video from the United States' The Food Network channel

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#86414 - 01/26/10 04:15 PM Re: El Bulli to close 2012 and 2013 [Re: MadridMan]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I think it´s a shame .... I read it today , and I´ve never tried it . However I have to say that my huge experiences with haute cuisine ( Mainly in London , but also Bilbao , Moscow etc.. ) have been good .BUT , I totally agree withh MM that you sometimes go home feeling hungry .
There´s a restaurant in London called "Le Gavroche " .. in Mayfair .. I should say from the outset that the food is exquisite . I´ve been many times . It´s run by the Roux brothers and is , rightly , considered one of London´s best restaurants .
But i remember we had a dinner for about 10 .. a few of us chose the same entrée and they came under huge silver bells .. with a waiter for each of us ... "Attention messieurs .. un , deux , trois !! " And the beautiful , but very small starters were unveiled . My manager ( from Newcastle ) was saying " What the f**k is that ! That day was amazing as we were ordering bottles of wine at more than 500 pounds a shot ( paid by my brokers ) .. The bill was about 10,000 pounds !

#86416 - 01/27/10 06:23 AM Re: El Bulli to close 2012 and 2013 [Re: steve robinson]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
I dont think people would have had reservations for the 2 years it will be closed . I think the reservation policy is only opened at the begining of the year , and you have more chance of getting a reservation if you are flexible with the dates .
Id love to go but having a family it isnt possible , hopefully get to the fat duck someday .

#86418 - 01/27/10 07:50 AM Re: El Bulli to close 2012 and 2013 [Re: steve robinson]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Joe , The Fat Duck in Bray , Oxfordshire ? I have to say the menu does not appeal !! Snail porridge ... yukkkkkk ! And I heard Gordon Ramsey lost one of his Michelin stars ! The air must have turned blue when he found out !

#86419 - 01/27/10 09:24 AM Re: El Bulli to close 2012 and 2013 [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Time Magazine just posted their article, "World's Best Restaurant: Reservations Get Tougher". (in English, of course)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#86420 - 01/27/10 10:37 AM Re: El Bulli to close 2012 and 2013 [Re: steve robinson]
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
Originally Posted By steve robinson
Joe , The Fat Duck in Bray , Oxfordshire ? I have to say the menu does not appeal !! Snail porridge ... yukkkkkk !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berkshire/7927715.stm

never been one of my favourite chefs on t.v. has old Heston and with what he cooks and calls fine dining adds to my theory

Edited by MadridMan (01/27/10 11:12 AM)
Edit Reason: to correct quote syntax error.

#86424 - 01/27/10 01:08 PM Re: El Bulli to close 2012 and 2013 [Re: billy the man]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
I like Heston , I think he is one of the better tv chefs and he is more like a working chef in his own restaurant unlike most other tv chefs .
The no1 restaurant usually changes between the Fat duck and El Bulli , and I think to eat there once to experience either once would be enough .

Edited by eskimo joe (01/27/10 01:08 PM)

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 805 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments