Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#86240 - 01/06/10 12:49 PM Slacklining in Madrid?
Fisheh Offline

Has anybody witnessed anybody slacklining in/around Madrid? They're pretty big amongst the rock-climber crowd (which I hear is big in Madrid). The reason I ask is because I'm leaving this Saturday to Madrid for ~6 months and just threw it in my bag automatically-- but then wondered whether it would be rude (or even illegal?) to set it up in a public park.

It doesn't damage the trees that it's attached to, is quick to set up and take down, and only takes up the space between two trees. I normally just set it up at any one of the parks around my home here in the States, and love it both as a fun activity and an easy/unique way to meet adventurous people.

I'm accustomed to getting weird/curious stares from people, but I am unfamiliar with the local laws/customs regarding the parks in Madrid. What do you guys think?

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slacklining )

Edited by MadridMan (01/07/10 07:12 AM)
Edit Reason: correct spelling of "Slacklining" in body of message.

#86242 - 01/06/10 01:56 PM Re: Slacklining in Madrid? [Re: Fisheh]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I have NEVER heard about slacklining ... Looks interesting , though with my sense of balance it´d be impossible !
As to whether you´d encounter problems here in Madrid I would say that in the main park ( Retiro ) you may have problems .. the whole park is protected and is regularly patrolled by municipal police and by the park´s police . There are smaller parks that you´d find it easier to do this ... and the massive area of Casa del Campo , above the city , has huge spaces ( and trees ) and nobody around .. including the police .
It might be worth contacting the Ayuntamiento de Madrid ( City council ) and asking the general question . They have a website , of course , in Spanish .
If boardmember "Jazz" is around he maybe able to give some insight ( He´s from here ) .
In Retiro park , especially during summer , it´s amazing .. jugglers , boating lakes , guys playing bongo drums , strong smell ( at the back of the lake ) of Marijuana , very laid back ... People sitting around just chilling BUT attaching something to a tree ( even if you insist it doesn´t damage it ) may present problems . Good Luck !

#86243 - 01/06/10 03:25 PM Re: Slacklining in Madrid? [Re: steve robinson]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Very interesting. What is the main goal of slacklining? Balance? stamina? endurance? Fun? It looks like you would have to have a special skill set for that.

Will you keep us posted on how you are doing with the slacklining and also the move to Madrid?

#86246 - 01/07/10 02:09 AM Re: Slacklining in Madrid? [Re: teachertraveler8]
Fisheh Offline

Going from "I can't even put my foot on this" to "Wow, I'm actually taking a few steps" generally takes just a few hours of messing around (and after you get your legs it becomes much easier), but it definitely doesn't demand any natural "gift". In fact, I'm pretty clumsy myself... I probably stub my toe more than anyone I know, but I still do alright wink

But yeah, I'll absolutely keep you guys updated. I'll try contacting the Ayuntamiento de Madrid and see how rusty my Spanish really is!

#86247 - 01/07/10 05:52 AM Re: Slacklining in Madrid? [Re: Fisheh]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I think steve´s explanation is correct,!be careful! with the fines, for example in Malaga (spain) a woman was fined 3750€ for feding the pigeons.!!incredible!!but true

#86248 - 01/07/10 07:19 AM Re: Slacklining in Madrid? [Re: jazz]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'm with steve and jazz. I'm pretty sure they'd not allow it in the city's Retiro Park. As steve says, even if it doesn't damage/harm the trees I doubt the police would bother to consult an expert by phone/radio.

But you could probably get away with it in the Casa de Campo park - because there no one would see you, probably, so you wouldn't likely get any strange stares - except maybe from the prostitutes. hehehe...

Feel free to contact Madrid's City Hall - but don't expect an answer. Maybe better, as your first stop, going to the tourist office in the Plaza Mayor and asking them as your first stop. They may not be able to tell you directly but they may be able to get in touch with the person/department who would know.

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments