Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#86105 - 12/23/09 07:42 AM Income from home but living in Spain
JeanSP Offline

Loc: Joburg and Malaga
Hi guys,

I was just wondering about something. I receive most of my income from home (where I am currently) from my internet endeavours. What happens when I make the move to Spain, what do I register as?

The money is coming from a source outside of Spain so what will the TAX implications be.
Thanks!

#86108 - 12/23/09 02:19 PM Re: Income from home but living in Spain [Re: JeanSP]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I don't think anyone here can give you a definitive answer, JeanSP, but merely educated guesses. But let's see....

What happens when you move to Spain? Are you CERTAIN you'll be moving to Spain? So you don't already have a visa. Do you have or will you be getting Spanish residency? Marrying a Spaniard? Studying? Retiring in Spain? You cannot simply "move to Spain" and then register. You have to have a visa inhand upon entering.

Visas are complicated and hard to get - no matter which kind you want. Of course, if you're "rich" there's little worry but you'd still have to go through the process. One Spanish visa offered allows those with something like 120,000 Euros deposited in a Spanish bank and can prove outside income. I'm not at all sure (I doubt) this gives you any residency rights to public health care, for example, but you could always get private health care like "Sanitas".

Regarding the income, is the money made at home (South Africa) being transferred to a Spanish bank to which you'll have access or will you simply receive money transfer or be using only ATM machines? That's an important question.

The two country's tax departments don't have communication between them so one wouldn't know what's happening at the other. So again, while I don't know for sure, I don't think you'd likely be taxed in Spain from money coming from outside of Spain.

By the way, your website states:
Quote:
My name is "*" and I have been an expat in Spain for just over a year now, I am originally from sunny South Africa

So.... You're already IN Spain?? huh

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#86114 - 12/24/09 04:01 AM Re: Income from home but living in Spain [Re: MadridMan]
JeanSP Offline

Loc: Joburg and Malaga
Hi MadridMan,

hanks for the thorough explanation. Regarding your questions, yes I am positive on moving to Spain for good. I have applied for my Visa and like you said it is no easy task. I will of course be wanting a Spanish residency after being there for a while.

As far as health care goes I already have a private health scheme which I currently use, it is accepted in foreign countries as my previous job entailed traveling often, I checked and it is accepted in Spain for health care, not sure which districts though.

The money is made at home South Africa, at least majority of it is, now I would of course prefer it to be transferred to a Spanish bank account but I suppose the bank fees for this could be pretty high. I am only planning my move in the next 3 months as I have a few creases to iron out over here.

Regarding the website, no I am not in Spain, I went to a South African expat forum and found a guy living in Barcelona who is willing to write for me.

It is a pretty tedious process, ecspecially coming from an 'African' country but I am optimistic it will be for the best.

#86177 - 12/31/09 07:41 PM Re: Income from home but living in Spain [Re: JeanSP]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Jean ..... Happy new year ... Feliz Año Nuevo .. Bonne Nouvelle année . gelukkige nuwejaar .... Definitely get in touch when you´re on Spanish soil and we´ll get some lunch with some vino .

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments