Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >
Topic Options
#86058 - 12/15/09 01:02 PM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: steve robinson]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
Steve is right , the bull is weakend but it never stops being dangerous . For proof you just have to look at Yiyo , he had placed the sword which the bull would die from , but the bull still had enough strength to put his horn through his shoulder blade and through his heart , you can see it on youtube if you want too .
A novierllo I know says " nothing is easy in front of a 500 kilo animal "

#86075 - 12/18/09 04:27 AM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: sallyanne]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Originally Posted By sallyanne
Well, while I respect that it is a very old Spanish tradition, I hate bullfighting and think that it is barbaric.

I think the barbarism issue is what makes it appealing to a certain segment of society. Probably the same would happen if there were men out there, real Gladiators fighting to the death. You'd probably have the stands full of screaming fans and protesters outside.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#86081 - 12/19/09 03:02 PM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
I have been reading but not commenting, its a debate every day and now in some parts like Catalunya is going to the chamber for a decision to continue or not. Its a shame, it is a Spanish tradition, and you feel Spanish ,you will keep it. As I will.
Once a young rajonero myself at Ventas, and love it. NIce to read so many knowledgable folks about corridas and toreros here, always a pleasure.

#86083 - 12/19/09 05:14 PM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: eskimo joe]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
I agree with Steve Robinson - I, too, love the bullfights. That said, the art, philosophy & appreciation of bullfighting is a part of Spain's culture & history.

Like all things when viewed in economic reality - if there is no paying audience over a period of time, it will die out (sadly - in my estimation). That economic reality needs no help from groups wanting to ban bullfighting ...

#86089 - 12/20/09 11:47 AM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: Puna]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Well following on from MM´s comment¨: though it´s not to the death ... this " cage fighting " phenomenon that started in the States where they really beat the Hell out of each other is an example of the , como se dice , basic bloodlust of many people that´s existed for centuries and especially going back to the gladiator contests in the Roman Empire . I´m not supporting the gladiator contests , just making the point that there´s always been an interest fom the beginning of time to see or experience these sort of contests and that , I´m sure , is where the bullfight derives from .

Though , quickly , I would also add that witch hunts , burning at the stake , etc have also been supported by society in the past and i´d certainly not want to see those reinstated .

Edited by MadridMan (12/21/09 02:50 AM)
Edit Reason: combining two consecutive posts.

#86121 - 12/26/09 07:41 AM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: steve robinson]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

By the way . Anybody who has access to the "Times" ( UK ) magazine today , it has a Fantastic 10 page article about an English torero . Really great piece . I`m taking it back to Madrid . His name is Alexander Fiske-Harrison .

#86123 - 12/26/09 10:47 AM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: steve robinson]
eskimo joe Offline

Cheers Steve .Alexander has his own blog .
You can read the times article here.

#86127 - 12/26/09 05:33 PM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: eskimo joe]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Do you know him Joe ( personally ) ? It might be a nice idea to get in contact with this guy and in a gospel sense " spread the word " ! I´d be interested in doing that .. MM ... what do you think ? It´s contraversial but relevant ,

#86128 - 12/27/09 02:49 AM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: steve robinson]
eskimo joe Offline

No Steve I dont know him , just found his blog through one site or another .

#86137 - 12/28/09 10:10 AM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: eskimo joe]
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
I enjoyed reading that Steve - interesting find .. thanks! And I'm a closet Giles Coren fan too :-)

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments