Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 10 11 >
Topic Options
#85945 - 12/06/09 12:30 AM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: eskimo joe]
Donna Cuervo Offline

Loc: New York, NY
I never really got the impression that packed bullfight events consisted mostly of tourists. I'm referring to the kind of tourists who know nothing about it and just want to go to say they were there. Many of them don't understand it and leave early.

There are many other foreigners attending who are intensely interested and spend a lot of money to come to Spain to the ferias sometimes every year and others whenever they can afford it. It's not a cheap vacation.

Those feria tickets are very expensive and scarce. I'd hardly consider that an indication that bullfighting is facing extinction. I found the same situation when attending the feria in Nimes, France. Getting tickets was a mob scene, and you had to stand in line for hours and pay a lot of money for whatever was left. There is intense aficion in southern France, and that feria is great.

The half filled plazas outside of feria time indicate that many people believe that the best most exciting performances are to be seen at the important ferias in the first class plazas. Some matadors save their best efforts for those ferias and just go through the motions at other times. Success during the ferias insures them of lucrative bookings for the rest of the season. The corridas in the provinces are of less career importance to a matador. The public know this and tend to be most interested in attending the feria events. That's why they're expensive and sold out.

As for young people not being interested, most upcoming matadors and novilleros are young boys who are intensely interested. For every one who makes it, there are many others who must be intensely interested that don't make it.

A few years back, I happened to be staying in the same hotel in Alicante that El Juli and Jesulin were staying in. Trust me, young girls are interested in bullfighting. There were thousands of them surrounding the place waiting for a glimpse of them.

#85949 - 12/06/09 04:11 AM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: Donna Cuervo]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Front cover of the Spanish edition of Vanity Fair ( December ) is the incredibly handsome " Cayetano " and there are about 6 pages devoted to him with great photos , including him getting dressed before the bullfight . My flatmate and I Saw Cayetano in a very expensive shop near where I live in Madrid . We had to buzz to go in and pretended to look at shirts ( 400 Euros ) whilst getting a glimpse of the great man !
Cayetano was also featured in the American edition of Vogue .. an amazing photo shoot .
Donna , I´ll try and find the name of the documentary about the boys ( now famous toreros ) ... It´s called " Maletilla" ... Really excellent . p.s. Thanks Joe ... I´ve watched it quite a few times , especially because of Cesar Jíminez ... The first bullfighter I ever saw !!

#85953 - 12/06/09 10:24 AM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: steve robinson]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
No worries Steve .
Ive never been to a bullfight in France , but would love to see one there in one of the Roman arenas . Nimes bullring

#85955 - 12/06/09 11:19 PM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: eskimo joe]
Donna Cuervo Offline

Loc: New York, NY
Steve, what shop did you see Cayetano in?

Eskimo, you've got to see a bullfight at the Nimes arena. It's an experience.

#85956 - 12/07/09 03:53 AM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: Donna Cuervo]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
Donna , its one on the bucket list .
Cayetano confirmed his alternativa in Mexico yesterday .

#85958 - 12/07/09 04:28 AM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: eskimo joe]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I don´t remember te name of the shop , just that it was Calle Jorge Juan .

#85963 - 12/07/09 10:59 AM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: steve robinson]
PADM Offline

Loc: Madrid
I try to make you understand that an important (and increasing) part of the Spanish doesn't care anything about bullfighting. You can see this as something typical, but I consider it as cruelty, a shame for us. Obviously I've failed.

"If bullfighting is culture, cannibalism is gastronomy" (M. Vicent)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Si-los-tor...56333207?v=info

#85965 - 12/07/09 12:03 PM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: PADM]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
PADM

You have not failed. I think a lot of people see bullfighting as cruelty. Here in the US, I have to be careful about who I tell about my interest in bullfighting because many people here see it as animal cruelty. You have a unique perspective because you are Spanish and have grown up in Spain all your life. You can see how you and your friends have changed their opinions about the bullfight.

It does seem like there is still a strong following in Spain, though.

The argument about animal cruelty can be made for any inhumane treatment of animals, including those we eat.

This is a great topic, so I hope we can keep it up!

#85966 - 12/07/09 12:24 PM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: teachertraveler8]
vanbags Offline

Loc: madrid, spain
a great topic, indeed.

i keep trying to convince myself i will watch at least ONE bullfight while living in madrid just for the experience, but i highly doubt i will. i understand bullfighting is a long & loved [by some] tradition in the spanish & other cultures.. just not one that interests me. plus, i don't think i could handle watching. its very sad to me. but like it's been said, people can apply the argument of animal cruelty to almost anything involving animals, including our food. i love reading about people's different opinions; it gives me a more open mind.

#85967 - 12/07/09 12:35 PM Re: Bullfighting? No, Thanks [Re: vanbags]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Hey Vanbags,

You will be able to watch bullfighting on tv, I think. That way, you can see what's going on, then turn it off!

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments