OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California

Edited by OsoMajor (11/26/09 09:46 PM)

#85847 - 11/28/09 08:15 PM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: OsoMajor]
vanbags Offline

Loc: madrid, spain
this is a great topic =]

christmas was my family's most celebrated holiday. on christmas eve we would celebrate with my moms side of the family with food, fun & games. my maternal grandma would always spend the night at our house & on christmas morning my dad would cook us breakfast. christmas day was spent with my dads side of the family & we always had a big italian feast.

in 2007 i got married & moved to an army base in kentucky USA, where i am now. right before christmas, my husband deployed to iraq. that year my cousin flew out from california USA to be with me.

this is the first christmas i'll be spending with my husband so we hope to create some of our own traditions.

#85851 - 11/29/09 04:53 AM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: vanbags]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .

#85855 - 11/29/09 08:55 PM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: steve robinson]
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Hey Guys, here are some pics of my Thanksgiving turkey...

Pic #1 Ready to feast!
#2 A bottle from the Jaramillo estate. wink
#3 Yours truly
#4 My younger son, Isaac.

#85856 - 11/29/09 09:25 PM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: OsoMajor]
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Steve, really enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for sharing your family's traditions. Vanbags, I'm glad that you will be spending the holidays with your husband. Enjoy the holidays.

#85857 - 11/30/09 01:17 AM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: OsoMajor]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Great topic, OsoMajor! Love the turkey photos! I had the great pleasure of viewing the Rose Parade floats 2 years ago, what a sight!!
Our holiday has always been Christmas. Christmas eve we usually spent with family in New Mexico. Now that we are in California, I took it upon myself to make my grandmother's food. So, for Christmas eve, we have posole and tamales and open presents.
Now that I have a daughter, we've started new traditions: opening presents from Santa on Christmas morning (something I never did as a kid), and we decorate our tree on December 12th, Santa Lucia Day-my daughter's saint's day. We also get a visit from the kings on Los Reyes (Jan. 6th) because of our Spanish traditions. We get a roscon from the Mexican bakery and invite friends over to celebrate.
Can't wait for the festivities to begin!

#85858 - 11/30/09 03:51 AM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: laduque]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

#85860 - 11/30/09 07:58 AM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: steve robinson]
Kipper Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Great Photos, beautful Turkey...and a Texas fan....

#85861 - 11/30/09 04:52 PM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: Kipper]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Wow OsoMajor! Those are great pictures. The turkey looks ready to be in a magazine.

I have a funny story about Christmas traditions and I hope you won't kick me out of the forum for sharing this. I mean no disrespect.

A few years ago at church, the pastor asked several people to share about their Christmas traditions. When she approached me, the only thing I could think of was that we set up a wooden nativity set every year that my husband made. After our sons got airsoft guns, they were doing "target" practice on the Nativity set. I quickly put a stop to it, but I decided that I couldn't share that "tradition" in church.

I tend to stress about the gifts, when in fact, they really aren't that important. I love the music, walking through the neighborhood looking at lights, seeing family again, having a break from school, receiving cards, and baking cookies.

Edited by teachertraveler8 (11/30/09 04:54 PM)
Edit Reason: misspelling

#85864 - 12/01/09 02:12 AM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: teachertraveler8]
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

I told my son, "the pics have to look good, I'm posting them on Madrid Man!". Guess he did a good job! smile

Teachertraveler8, boys will be boys. It's not so bad. BTW, how big was the nativity scene?

Kipper, I'm a native Texan. Gotta be true to my home state. Since I've lived half of my life here in California (which I love), I think of myself as having Texas roots and California stock!

#85866 - 12/01/09 07:14 AM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: OsoMajor]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
nice pictures, next year I'll eat a turkey, I'll learn how to cook

#85923 - 12/04/09 04:36 PM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: OsoMajor]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

OsoMajor,

The nativity scene is small, just Mary, Joseph, and Jesus. No shepherds, angels or wise men. A few animals.

Have you ever had NY wine? (I'm sure you are a California wine fan and with good reason, but I'm from upstate NY and they make some nice wine, too.) Am I allowed to ask that question on a Spain forum? smile

#85927 - 12/04/09 08:39 PM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: teachertraveler8]
Donna Cuervo Offline

Loc: New York, NY
When we were kids, my Spanish grandmother would send us several boxes of Spanish turron around the holidays. My brother and I would jump on it like we never saw candy before.

The boxes she sent had a really nice painting of Columbus landing in the new world. I never see that same box, and I look for it on the shelves of all the supermarkets in Spain. There are so many, but I never see that one.

We liked the turron duro - the white hard one with all the nuts. She also used to bring another kind that was soft and oily that we didn't like. Just to be polite, we used to hide it and pretend that it was finished. Usually around June it would be found hidden behind the sofa or under a bed.

I noticed a lot of suger free turron being sold recently. Is that any good?

Edited by Donna Cuervo (12/04/09 08:40 PM)

#85928 - 12/04/09 08:41 PM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: Donna Cuervo]
Donna Cuervo Offline

I had New York wine once, but it was some kind of Jewish wine. Is that what you're talking about?

Edited by Donna Cuervo (12/04/09 08:42 PM)

#85937 - 12/05/09 07:53 AM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: Donna Cuervo]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

My hometown of Canandaigua does make a Jewish wine, but there is so much more than that. Have you been upstate? (Finger Lakes, specifically) It is sooooo beautiful and there are tons of wineries, including the new New York State Wine and Culinary Center.

I enjoyed your holiday stories. (and I've enjoyed your other posts. I have learned a lot from you)

Candy, in my opinion, should not be sugar free. (unless it is for diabetics who can't enjoy sugar).

When I was in NYC recently, I noticed that some restaurants sold NYS wine, so if you get a chance, check it out.

#85939 - 12/05/09 09:37 AM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: teachertraveler8]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

#85941 - 12/05/09 10:30 AM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: steve robinson]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Steve,

When you're from New York State and you tell people that you are from New York, they automatically assume it is New York City. I call New York City "NYC", but when I refer to the state, I say, "NYS" I am from the Finger Lakes area of New York State, but people often have no idea where that is.

I live in Michigan now where you can buy wine in the grocery store or the drug store, but in New York you can only buy wine in wine stores with liquor licenses. Beer is available in the grocery store. I think it has something to do with the alcohol content, but I'm not positive. It is inconvenient for the buyers and possibly the sellers. Last summer we were in a liquor store buying NYS wine (and also some Argentine and Spanish wine) and the proprietor told us that he can't sell anything but wine and wine related items. He'd like to be able to sell some foods, but he can't. weird.

Maybe Donna can shed more light on the New York wine laws.

I didn't like too much of the candy I tried in Spain except for Valor Chocolate. I don't know if it is because it isn't as sweet or what. Generally I like sweets. But you all have made me curious to try turron now.

#85946 - 12/06/09 12:46 AM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: teachertraveler8]
Donna Cuervo Offline

Turron is wonderful, but make sure you have strong teeth.

As for buying wine in New York City, I don't know what you are talking about. It is not sold in supermarkets, but liquor stores usually sell wine from many countries. Maybe the one you went to specialized in American wine and sold only that. I never heard of a city law that prohibited the sale of some wines in the downtown area. Those guys were just joking with you.

I've been through NYS on a train to Montreal. There was some amazing scenery from that train.

#85947 - 12/06/09 01:05 AM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: teachertraveler8]
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Teachertraveler8,

I haven't tried any NYS wines, would like to try some. It seems that more states are getting into the wine industry. Out here in the West Coast we have California, Oregon and Washington. Texas has gotten into the wine business as well as Virginia and even Missouri. Don't know of other states with wineries, but I'm sure there's more.

Steve, I love bagels & lox! It was one of my wife's favorite things to nosh! Onion bagels or "everything" bagels are my favorite. We're also fortunate to have a large Jewish community in Los Angeles. Lot's of great food!

I hate to say this but I've never had turron.

#85952 - 12/06/09 09:06 AM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: OsoMajor]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

#85978 - 12/08/09 01:01 AM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: steve robinson]
Donna Cuervo Offline

That article sounds realistic. You can't buy wine in supermarkets. You had 2,700 stores in NYC where you could have bought all the wine you wanted.

A lot of people also buy wine through the mail.

#85979 - 12/08/09 10:47 AM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: Donna Cuervo]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

#85980 - 12/08/09 11:43 PM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: steve robinson]
Donna Cuervo Offline

Which manzanilla did he recommend?

#85981 - 12/09/09 04:51 AM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: Donna Cuervo]
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Originally Posted By: Donna Cuervo
Which manzanilla did he recommend?
It's easy: Manzanilla comes from Sanlucar de barrameda, so you want to find one with that D.O.. The Manzanilla is a fortified wine (as are all Sherries) & I'm not sure if such wines have a D.O.
Just buy one from Sanlucar and drink it very cold (w/mejillones or boquerones or a similar tapa). In Madrid, VillaRosa on Plaza Santa Ana used to have it from the Baril, the best Manzanilla I have tried.

#85982 - 12/09/09 05:33 AM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: Eddie]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

#85983 - 12/09/09 05:49 AM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: steve robinson]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
Iv'e been told by people who know better than me that La Venencia on calle Echegaray is the best place for sherry in Madrid .

#85985 - 12/09/09 07:04 AM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: eskimo joe]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

I like that street ( echegaray ) .. Very narrow and shabby , but interesting . I think the best sherry ( Jerez ) I ever had was with MM at a Suma Flamenca event . We were surrounded by some very famous flamenco stars at an " event party " . They had a guy in his typically smart Andalucian suit pouring a "fino" from the barrel then from a ladle way up high above the sherry glass . I have a great photo of that .Really expert stuff . Delicious ... and the food was wonderful ( tapas ) .

#85997 - 12/11/09 03:36 AM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: steve robinson]
Donna Cuervo Offline

I was just wondering which manzanilla the little old man recommended. I've tried all the best known ones.

I had a bottle of La Guita in my apartment when I was recently in Sevilla. When it was time to leave to get my plane to Madrid, I had about a big glass worth left in the bottle. Not wanting to waste it, I poured it into one of those small individual plastic orange juice bottles that was empty. I figured I could drink it on the plane.

Wouldn't you know that my bag was opened in security, and they zeroed right in on that little bottle all the way down at the bottom of the bag. The inspector said I had to drink it right there. As I started to sip it slowly, a police officer who was there figured out what it was. He said I could sit down and drink it. He stood there with a big smile on his face watching me drink La Guita from an orange juice bottle.

#86001 - 12/11/09 06:24 AM Re: Holiday Family Traditions [Re: Donna Cuervo]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Edited by steve robinson (12/11/09 06:25 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
secessionman
Who's Online
0 registered (), 562 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments