Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8579 - 11/27/05 09:58 AM Explanation of room designation
camacho Offline

Loc: US
I see that in Spain (and rest of Europe, I assume) they designate their rooms as single, double, tripple, quadruple. How does this translate to the US standards? We are a couple staying in Madrid in Feb. ad we do not want to end up in a room with one twin bed for example. Your help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

#8580 - 11/29/05 06:08 AM Re: Explanation of room designation
Jerezano Offline

Loc: Fez/Jerez
a room with a twin bed would most likely be denominated "cama de matrimonio".

If English isn't spoken at the hotel that you are enquiring about, ask for "dos camas individuales", which is particularly common especially in the hostal range.

#8581 - 11/29/05 06:55 AM Re: Explanation of room designation
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Berzabuena writes:
Quote:
... a room with a twin bed would most likely be denominated "cama de matrimonio".
NOT! eek
A cama de matrimonio is a full size (double) bed. But they tend to be smaller than in the U.S. so you might be more comfortable with a 'twin double' (una habitación con dos camas) or a 'double double' (two double beds). Queen-size beds are very rare in Spain.

Most Madrid hotels (3-star or above) will have twin-doubles and double-doubles available.

#8582 - 11/30/05 08:52 AM Re: Explanation of room designation
Jerezano Offline

Haven't lived in the states for a while, bit let's see here. A twin, in American parlance, is one down from a Queen, right? That would make it more or less equivalent to a "cama de matrimonio", which is a bed 135 cm wide and the most common. The next size up, which is the biggest you can get in Spain without going to IKEA or special ordering it, is a 150. So, where did I make the mistake?

#8583 - 11/30/05 02:44 PM Re: Explanation of room designation
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
In the US, one down from a queen is a double. One down from a double is a twin. A twin is definitely a one-person bed. A cama matrimonio in Spain is a bit bigger than a double and a bit smaller than a queen. Queen size sheets will fit a cama matrimonio loosely, but double sheets are too small. (I always bought US sheets for my Spanish beds!)

A single room will have one roughly twin-sized bed. A double usually has two of these beds, but sometimes has a matrimonio sized bed, so it's best to ask if you have a preference.

#8584 - 12/01/05 04:28 PM Re: Explanation of room designation
Jerezano Offline

I guess you're right! But "twin" being a single bed, what a misnomer!

#8585 - 12/01/05 06:50 PM Re: Explanation of room designation
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
It's true. For US United Statesens, accustomed to double, queen, or king sized beds in hotels, (and often sleeping with our mates in same) there's something quite disappointing checking into a 4-star hotel and encountering two twin-beds pushed side-by-side. Some of the "togetherness" is suddenly taken away. But that's the way it is in Spain. "Camas Matrimonios" are usually only found in a few rooms of any given establishment so they're hard to come by. When I went to Granada last month and hoping to have a "romantic weekend" with a king-size bed, they told me there was no guarantee they could accommodate me. Imagine planning such a "romantic weekend" and walking in the room to find two twin beds! eek Hmmmph! rolleyes

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#8586 - 12/02/05 02:30 AM Re: Explanation of room designation
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I'm curious about the exact size of queen / king sized beds in the US. Two "Spanish" twin beds pushed together are 1,80 meters wide. Are queen / king beds even wider than that? confused

#8587 - 12/02/05 06:37 AM Re: Explanation of room designation
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Antonio writes:
Quote:
I'm curious about the exact size of queen / king sized beds in the US. Two "Spanish" twin beds pushed together are 1,80 meters wide. Are queen / king beds even wider than that?
A King size bed is the same as 2-twins pushed together: The box-spring on which the king-size mattress rests often consists of two twin-bed box springs. The U.S. twin size are a little bigger (39" or 1.0m) so the U.S. King size is just about 2.0m. A U.S. Queen-size mattress is 61" wide (1.55m). I just measured a Queen-size mattress in a bedroom in my house. As with everything else, sizes may vary slightly depending on Manufacturer. rolleyes

#8588 - 12/02/05 10:57 AM Re: Explanation of room designation
carlos11 Offline

Loc: Florida,USA
The twin beds in Europe are much smaller in width than in the U.S.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments