Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#85730 - 11/17/09 03:36 PM Renewing US Passport in Madrid?
colenot Offline

This not a work topic, but I it seemed like the best forum to put this in since it deals with official documents.

So, my US passport expires in Feb 2010 and I wanted to know how I can renew it.

Anyone know exactly how to do it? Are there several options?

One thing I've learned about Spain is that they have such an outdated way of doing legal things that they make you run around forever to get additional documents from many different places. Non stop back and forth...

I guess I'd be looking for the easiest SUREFIRE way to get it renewed, even if it cost a little more.

Thanks!

#85731 - 11/18/09 04:09 AM Re: Renewing US Passport in Madrid? [Re: colenot]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Wouldn´t you just be able to go the consular division of the US embassy on Serrano ? They would surely have a passport renewal department . Or maybe i´m being to optimistic !

#85732 - 11/18/09 01:31 PM Re: Renewing US Passport in Madrid? [Re: steve robinson]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Colenot and Steve,

One thing for sure, Spain does not issue U.S. passports. Here in the U.S., we go to the county court building or post office and get the form. Then fill out the form and get the required photos. Send in a ridiculously high renewal fee, $67 in 2007. Mail the form, photos and fee in and wait.

Gazpacho

#85733 - 11/18/09 02:52 PM Re: Renewing US Passport in Madrid? [Re: gazpacho]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I´ve heard the fee is even higher for a British passport . Isn´t that disgraceful .. that you have to pay so much to prove you´re a citizen of your own country !!

#85734 - 11/18/09 02:56 PM Re: Renewing US Passport in Madrid? [Re: gazpacho]
colenot Offline

Originally Posted By gazpacho
Colenot and Steve,

One thing for sure, Spain does not issue U.S. passports. Here in the U.S., we go to the county court building or post office and get the form. Then fill out the form and get the required photos. Send in a ridiculously high renewal fee, $67 in 2007. Mail the form, photos and fee in and wait.

Gazpacho

I originally got my passport by walking into a post office in Los Angeles, but now that I am in Madrid and my 10yr renewal is coming up, I need to do it from here.

I found the answer here- http://www.embusa.es/cons/acsdocumenting.html

Thanks!

#85735 - 11/18/09 03:08 PM Re: Renewing US Passport in Madrid? [Re: colenot]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Colenot,

I see the price has increased to $75.

Gazpacho

#85736 - 11/18/09 05:45 PM Re: Renewing US Passport in Madrid? [Re: gazpacho]
Jim Costello Offline

Loc: New York City
Colenot, Steve is right. Go or call the US embassy in Madrid and they will tell you what forms & photos are needed. I believe the fee is $75 US or about 55 euros. I would suggest you get it done ASAP. My daughter who lives in Madrid recently did her passport at the US embassy.

#85737 - 11/18/09 08:22 PM Re: Renewing US Passport in Madrid? [Re: Jim Costello]
colenot Offline

Thanks everyone!

#85759 - 11/21/09 12:17 PM Re: Renewing US Passport in Madrid? [Re: colenot]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
US embassy will renew it with showing the old one;you can pay in USD or Euros and credit cards are accepted. All Americans abroad can do so at their Embassy of the country they are transiting or living.
cheers!

#86994 - 04/05/10 09:07 PM Re: Renewing US Passport in Madrid? [Re: pedmar]
colenot Offline

Thanks for everyones help on his. It turned out to be pretty easy.

The process-

I printed out the brief forms online, showed up at the embassy (made an appt online, first), they had a photo booth in the waiting area, walked up to the window when my number was called, ave my old passport/forms/new pics, paid about 56€, then about 10 days later (normal time it takes), the messenger came to my door (20 minutes outside the city center) and paid 6€ to receive my new passport hand delivered to my doorstep.

When you pay for your passport renewal (56€), they will ask you how you want them to return it to you. You either ive them a self addressed stamped envelope (with about 4€ postage on it), or request a messenger to hand deliver it (what I chose). You pay the messenger fee upon delivery and not in advanced.

All in all, pretty quick and painless process.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments