Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#85611 - 10/28/09 10:50 PM Greece: WHERE to go, WHAT to see?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
This is a very broad topic, I know. It will be our first trip to Greece (May, 2010). With only two weeks I want to be darn sure that I hit the highlights. Now I realize that this depends on my interests but you have to admit that there are simply SOME places that are on the "A" list. I'm tempted to stay away from Santorini and Mykonos simply because so many tourists go there. On the other hand, friends say, "you simply MUST visit Santorini." So, as I research Greece and the islands, I would appreciate advice from anyone who has ever been there. It certainly would be easier if we returned to Spain!!

#85620 - 10/29/09 12:20 PM Re: Greece: WHERE to go, WHAT to see? [Re: Carole Chiaro]
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
you problem is that Greece (including islands) is absolutely massive and doing things in say Athens you could not posibly do the islands as well due to the distances also going in may is probably the best time to go due to the lack of tourist, my mother used to go twice a year and said may was the best month to go due to it being just nice temperatures and not very busy, if you could narrow it down to certain places or things you wish to see in the short space of time you are there maybe i can help

#85631 - 10/30/09 06:17 PM Re: Greece: WHERE to go, WHAT to see? [Re: billy the man]
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Okay. I am looking at Athens, of course, and the Peloponnese. (Forgive me, these are simply words I can't spell!) So maybe Napflio, Mystra, Monemvasia...Some ruins (please, not a lot), Byzantine churches, fortresses, medieval cities, vibrant city (I'm assuming Athens) then maybe an island or two. I'm looking at Paros and Naxos--I figure I will rule one of them out--and, you guessed it, Santorini? I want a variety of sights. Really, this is a HUGE problem. I'm reading and reading and I'm lost!

#85633 - 10/31/09 04:37 AM Re: Greece: WHERE to go, WHAT to see? [Re: Carole Chiaro]
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

right no problem i shall speak to my mum and get back to you probably monday now

#85644 - 11/01/09 06:55 PM Re: Greece: WHERE to go, WHAT to see? [Re: billy the man]
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

I will be awaiting your reply!! Thanks!

#85647 - 11/03/09 10:28 PM Re: Greece: WHERE to go, WHAT to see? [Re: Carole Chiaro]
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Nada? Don't tell me I have to try TripAdvisor again. Some of those responses are so rude!

#85648 - 11/04/09 03:01 AM Re: Greece: WHERE to go, WHAT to see? [Re: Carole Chiaro]
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

sorry for the delay only saw mum last night, and i apologize in adavance for the spelling,the nearest ive been to Greece is after ive cooked chips.
Anyway its very very hot in june july and august the most comfortable time is april,may, september or october, Athens is a very big and very busy city, with 6 lanes of traffic in the city centre and always choc a bloc(busy i mean) the sightseeing area in Athens is quite compact and easily done by foot,however taxis are quite cheap, Most tourist only stay in Athens a few days and combine it with a stay on one of the Greek islands.
In Athens a must see is the Acropollis the Parthenon, the National Archeological Museum and of course the Kasbar (the hustle and bustle of the markets).
All the hotels in Athens can arrange tours and all speak English but beware of some tours if the Greeks see a pile of stones they claim it was the sight of one of the temples of the gods,claiming it to be the Temple of the Athos or something.
A drive along the Pelopennes which is approx 3hrs brings you to the corinth canal which is beautiful you pass Delphi which has an open arena where the slaves fought also taking in beautiful sceanary,Go to the Port Piraeus to pick up all the boats, hydrofoils and flying dolphins to take you to all the islands the nearest island is Agina, Hydra is a beautiful islands but mums favourite is Rhodes with its old and new city and beautiful harbour she also loves Thassos, and Naifion a beautiful walled fortres town. The whole of Greece is beautiful and so many places to see and do.
Enjoy and if you have any questions on certain places she will be glad to try and answer for you.
this is a disclaimer the writer takes no responsibility on the content written BLAME MY MOTHER!
(By the way she loves wine, chocolate and flowers)
regards billy

Edited by billy the man (11/04/09 03:05 AM)

#85690 - 11/11/09 09:41 PM Re: Greece: WHERE to go, WHAT to see? [Re: billy the man]
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

I like your mom already!!! Wine and chocolate especially. Yes, we are going to spend a couple of nights in Athens but a week seeing the Peloponesse. Nafplion (who can spell these names?) Monemvasia, Koroni, AND we're looking for some place to stop as we head back to Athens. Argos maybe?? Then we need to select our island(s). It will be May so it shouldn't be too crazy. We simply can't make a decision. Do we see (like everyone else) Santorini or Mykonos? Do we go to Sifnos, or Naxos, or Paros? Ask mom, please!

#85691 - 11/12/09 05:17 AM Re: Greece: WHERE to go, WHAT to see? [Re: Carole Chiaro]
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Mum doesnt know about argos, but Santorini is a beautiful island but very hilly, theres a temple at the top of the hills which is blue and blends into the sky above and is a must see on the island the island is littered with real greek villages,Mykonas is where they filmed shirley valentine,Naxos is a small island good for a nice rest but not very historical,Paros is a big island,Spetzi and Hydra have a beautiful harbour and again are nice but mum keeps coming back to Rhodes which is her favourite from there you can catch a catermaran and sail (for the day) to Turkey or Simi which are fabulous days out and as you come back into Rhodes harbour you see the famous Mandraks? ( the gazelles welcoming you back to port,she says you can sit on the harbour wall and people watch all day in the most beautiful surroundings.
At the airport or in Athens you can book all your island trips through Louis lines or at the Harbour of Peraus,they do island cruises taking you from Athens to Tinos,Rhodes,Crete,Egypt,Jerusalam and back to Athens this is a quite cheap cruise if you fancy, some of the islands have airports which if you fancy going to Sickalas group of islands Andreas,mykalos dija will cut you traveling time down,
Mum has a book on Greece which is 1000 pages and is very imformative i can borrow the book and try to answer certain places in more detail if you wish

Edited by billy the man (11/12/09 05:18 AM)

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments