Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#85324 - 09/25/09 12:26 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia) [Re: Carole Chiaro]
indelible Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By Carole Chiaro
So it's Las Cuevas de Luis Candelas in Madrid for cochinillo asado? I am renewing this topic and am hoping to get more opinions for eating roast suckling pig in Madrid.

bump...i'm going in a week and i want to try some piglets! it seems botin is overrated, so is candelas still the place to go in madrid?

also, there will be 2 of us (big eaters), is one order of the pig and one other entree enough/too much?

Edited by indelible (09/25/09 12:29 PM)

#85325 - 09/25/09 02:20 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia) [Re: indelible]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Suckling pig ( Cochinillo ) rates as one of my all time favourite things . Of course , Segovia is THE place to go but there are good places in Madrid too ( though I can´t remember where right now )
If you order a whole suckling pig , with entrées and maybe dessert I would say you´ll have had a very big meal . The suckling pig is very very rich and fatty ... I´m getting crazy hungry even thinking about it .

#85327 - 09/25/09 02:44 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia) [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
If there's just two of you going they'll likely bring your quarter-piglet to your table already on the table. If, as Steve mentions, there would be more of you they'd bring the entire piglet and divide it up among you near your table.

Las Cuevas de Luis Candelas is good in Madrid, although very touristic, but a cool place nonetheless. There aren't many place which properly make (or CAN make) cochinillo because you need a wood-fired brick oven to do it historically correctly.

I TOO am now starving! Remember, that cochinillo is typically a LUNCHTIME meal as it's very heavy. You'll definitely NEED/WANT a nap after eating it!

And as an FYI, when cochinillo is ordered it doesn't "come" with anything. That is to say, it doesn't automatically come with fried potatoes - you'll have to order those as a side dish if you so desire.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#85328 - 09/25/09 02:54 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia) [Re: MadridMan]
indelible Offline

ok so i guess an order of cochinillo and an order of vegetables/salad will suffice

fried potatoes=papas fritas? or are those only french fries

Edited by indelible (09/25/09 02:58 PM)

#85329 - 09/25/09 03:25 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia) [Re: indelible]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Patatas fritas are fried potatoes, much like french fries, yes, but (likely to be) fried in olive oil and very tasty.

A side-order of vegetables/salad would be a good addition too.

Enjoy! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#85354 - 09/27/09 10:38 AM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia) [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
Las Cuevas de Luis Candela is a bit touristic now, but great for cochinillo, been going there since 1971::) Another is Casa LUcio in Latina.
in Segovia its the other tourist place now but long standing from the same time and before is Meson Candido at the foot of the aqueduct.

yes correct, cochinillo is eaten as one plate along, and at lunch or if visiting one meal at night is ok too.

I am hungry ::)

#85357 - 09/27/09 12:44 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia) [Re: pedmar]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Went to Segovia today to visit some cloistered nuns (really!) and wanted to have cochinillo in the downtown. The nuns told us it was Segovia's "Virgin's Day" and, because of the processions, much of the downtown was blocked off and, likely, full of people. And also, that ALL the restaurants would likely be full - unless we had a reservation - which we didn't. Instead, we went on to nearby La Granja and had cochinillo - but it wasn't the same and wasn't as good.

Saludos, MadridMan

#85443 - 10/09/09 12:42 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia) [Re: MadridMan]
indelible Offline

so how do i go about ordering the cochinillo? if there are 2 of us will they charge us 2x the price of 1 order? do i ask for "cochinillo por dos"? or just "cochinillo y XXX"? (XXX being whatever else we want)

#85444 - 10/09/09 12:55 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia) [Re: indelible]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

The menu will give you the prices . Sometimes they´ll say Cochinillo ( minimo para dos personas ) .. but in my time here in Spain .. often travelling alone , you can order per person ... Just order cochinillo for one or 4 persons ... they´ll deal with it .

#85445 - 10/09/09 01:00 PM Re: Suckling Pig (Madrid & Segovia) [Re: steve robinson]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Bear in mind that cochinillo is quite a special dish and you´ll have to get your cash ready !! IT´s something I love but don´t eat every day due to the cost . There are certain things here in España that are considered "special " . Cochinillo is on of them , Percebes ( a sort of seafood ) from Galicia , and Angulas .. baby eels from Pais Vasco . All very very expensive .

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments