Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#84380 - 05/05/09 10:51 AM Granada: Hostales Viena/Austria?
karenr Offline

Loc: ohio
Does anyone have experience with either Hostal Viena or Hostal Austria in Granada? I like the location. We're a family with 3 kids...Thanks!

Edited by MadridMan (05/07/09 02:47 AM)
Edit Reason: include hostel link

#84387 - 05/07/09 03:04 AM Re: Granada: Hostales Viena/Austria? [Re: karenr]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I spent 2 nights in Hostal Austria a couple years ago - and I think I had their best room. Their sister-hostel, the Hostal Viena, is located about 20 yards away on a side-street - which frankly looks dark and has only rare foot-traffic. When I walked by the hostel almost looked to be closed.

The Hostal Austria is well-located on the Cuesta de Gómerez, the road which leads up to the Alhambra but very near the Plaza Nueva. I'm pretty sure there's no elevator, either. The street itself, rather steep, is lined with gift-shops and other hostels. According to the Hostal Austria website, they have "5 beds room From 75 Euros" - but they don't say if that's in the Hostal Austria or in the Hostal Viena.

Read my Granada blog entry from 2008 about my visit to Granada. During this stay, I had a single room at the modern (recently renovated), 1-star Hotel Carlos V for 49 Euros per night - and they had Wi-Fi, an elevator, key-card doors, and great views of the city.

If interested, I've also stayed at the Hostal Costa Azul and Pension Veracruz.

Saludos, GranadaMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#84418 - 05/13/09 05:14 PM Re: Granada: Hostales Viena/Austria? [Re: MadridMan]
karenr Offline

I made reservations at Carlos V in Granada. The price was great (39 for a double, 54 for a triple). Thanks for your suggestion!
Karen

#84421 - 05/14/09 04:12 AM Re: Granada: Hostales Viena/Austria? [Re: karenr]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Wow, karenr! May I ask HOW you got such a good rate for the double (39 Euros!!!!!) when they list the rack rate for a single at 49 Euros?!?! That's incredible! When you arrive, ask them to put you in a room with views of the city. Or, maybe the interior rooms are cheaper and maybe that's why your double room was only 39 Euros. Still, ask them to put you in an exterior room if they have one available.

They also have a public/community/common terraza with lounge chairs which is very very nice to watch the sunset if you happen to find yourself back at the hotel at that time.

Enjoy! Saludos, GranadaMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#84426 - 05/14/09 09:04 PM Re: Granada: Hostales Viena/Austria? [Re: MadridMan]
karenr Offline

Perhaps we got this rate because it's during the week, not a weekend. I've noticed a number of hotels/hostals have having "ofertas." Maybe they aren't getting as many reservations as in the past so they're lowering rates to encourage travelers. Now if I could find that kind of deal in Sevilla!

#85342 - 09/26/09 01:05 PM Re: Granada: Hostales Viena/Austria? [Re: karenr]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

karenr, how did you like the Hotel Carlos V? I'd love to read your review when you have time.

Saludos, MadridMan

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments