Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#84606 - 06/13/09 10:20 AM Spanish Cheese at Costco, USA!
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Went to Costco (San Diego) and they had Torta del Casar from Extremadura, and a really stinky goat cheese from Catalonia, and Mahon, as well as the staple-Manchego.
The cheese buyer has been bringing intreresting choices into the stores lately.

I have NEVER seen Torta del Casar in the States, not even at the specialty cheese places.
It wasn't cheep, 18 dollars for a small wheel, in which you cut the top off and then spoon the runny cheese all over your bread. Yummy!
My esposo was in heaven!!!!
Any other great Spanish food finds in other parts of the States? Share here!

#84628 - 06/15/09 05:22 PM Re: Spanish Cheese at Costco, USA! [Re: laduque]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
WOWEE!!! Costco had Torta del Casar???!?!? That's GREAT! How big was "the small wheel"? I'd say $18 is dirt cheep since the average starting price for a "normal wheel" is no less than 25 Euros. (that's like $34!)

I LOVE (and I mean LOVE!!!) Torta del Casar cheese. "They say" to leave it out of the refrigerator for the first 2-3 days (not in the sun, though, and not if it's super hot, either). But after those 3-days you should refrigerate it - but still eat it as soon as possible. Problem is, after you open it, and after you put it in the refrigerator, you get that BLOW-BACK stench everytime you open the refrigerator door! PEE-EWWW!!!! Stuff generally smells terrible but tastes OH-SO-GOOOOD! It usually takes two people about 3 days to eat it - EACH OF THE 3 DAYS!!! By the end you're usually fed up with it, all cheesed out. hehehe... Goes great with a good bottle of Spanish red wine, too.

Our Kroger supermarket carried a few Spanish items as did the World Market (??) chain. The Giant Eagle supermarket chain always carried a good selection of Spanish wines, too, but no Spanish foods.

And, of course, there's always mail-order from places like www.Tienda.com , but they can be kind of pricey - but they do have everything you could ever want.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#84632 - 06/15/09 07:55 PM Re: Spanish Cheese at Costco, USA! [Re: MadridMan]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

It is a small wheel, about 1 pound. I was so surprised to see it! Can't wait to enjoy it when we have friends over this weekend.

#84634 - 06/15/09 08:19 PM Re: Spanish Cheese at Costco, USA! [Re: laduque]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I love strong cheese and have a favourite Spanish goats cheese . I too have the "blow back " but have solved it by using plastic tupperware boxes in the fridge .

#84636 - 06/16/09 03:59 AM Re: Spanish Cheese at Costco, USA! [Re: steve robinson]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
Lucky you , I was in cocsto in Aberdeen UK last week and they didnt have it there . I have looked for it here but its near impossible to get .
Ill get some from a mercado this week when I get to Madrid

#84799 - 07/08/09 12:58 PM Re: Spanish Cheese at Costco, USA! [Re: eskimo joe]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Ok,so I'm in Santa Fe, New Mexico right now, visiting family and went to The Spanish Table, it's a Spanish products store in the heart of Santa Fe. I was blown away at their food selection! I got a paellera for 20 people for my hubby's birthday, along with some yummy food.
My biggest find was La Casera! They had it on clearance for 99 cents a bottle so I bought their entire stock! 3 cases! Apparently no one was buying it so they put it on clearance. Now I can truly enjoy tinto de verano in the comfort of my own home.
I'm so happy I drove from CA to NM so I can tote all my goodies back!!!!

#84800 - 07/08/09 01:26 PM Re: Spanish Cheese at Costco, USA! [Re: laduque]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Congratulations, laduque! Did they have any other Spanish foods there like embutidos, olives, or Spanish wine?

And hey, they have a website too at http://www.spanishtable.com/ . Other locations include Seattle, Washington, Mill Valley & Berkley California!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#84802 - 07/08/09 02:09 PM Re: Spanish Cheese at Costco, USA! [Re: MadridMan]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

They had many Spanish food options...4 or 5 different brands of piquillo peppers, many, many brands of olive oil (Spanish), sweets, embutidos (from La Espanola Meats and some imports), also cheese, Kas Limon, olives, pimenton, ceramics and all types of paelleras and burners. I also love that they had a very good selection of Spanish and Mediterrean cookbooks, children's books in Spanish, and other reads in Spanish. A lot of CD's too! You name it, they had it!
Did you know there are 3 Spanish restaurants in Santa Fe? A town of only 75,000!
The website is not that user friendly and the manager is in the process of redoing it to make it better.

#85120 - 08/20/09 04:25 PM Re: Spanish Cheese at Costco, USA! [Re: laduque]
JAcosta Offline

Loc: Los Angeles Calif.
Originally Posted By laduque
They had many Spanish food options...4 or 5 different brands of piquillo peppers, many, many brands of olive oil (Spanish), sweets, embutidos (from La Espanola Meats and some imports), also cheese, Kas Limon, olives, pimenton, ceramics and all types of paelleras and burners. I also love that they had a very good selection of Spanish and Mediterrean cookbooks, children's books in Spanish, and other reads in Spanish. A lot of CD's too! You name it, they had it!
Did you know there are 3 Spanish restaurants in Santa Fe? A town of only 75,000!
The website is not that user friendly and the manager is in the process of redoing it to make it better.

The funny thing was I found out from someone in Spain (via skype) that La Espanola is about 15 minutes from my house. A very dangerous store to go to as I always spend too much there.

#85121 - 08/20/09 05:23 PM Re: Spanish Cheese at Costco, USA! [Re: JAcosta]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

JAcosta, we used to go up there just for La Espanola, now in SD, there are a couple of little Spanish markets that deal in only Spanish products from La Espanola. We need a Spanish Table store in Southern Cal!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments