Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#84500 - 05/28/09 04:20 PM Why so down on Las Ramblas?
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
Why so down on Las Ramblas?

For the last couple of years I've been reading more and more message boards proclaiming the dangers of Las Ramblas and the bordering areas such as the Gothic, Ravel and of course the lower end by the port. It almost seems the concerns have become hysterical. While I haven't been in about 4 years, I don't remember such panic about it. I've been twice. Both times I stayed on Las Ramblas at The Citadines for a total of about 10 days. I remember it as being no more dangerous than any other big city with a large concentration of tourist. I think maybe people expect their holiday to be like a visit to Disneyland.

Here is an article from The Guardian and an expat blog.

Safe travels
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/may/24/barcelona-crime-las-ramblas

http://www.expatica.com/es/lifestyle_lei...3.html?ppager=0

#84504 - 05/29/09 05:23 AM Re: Why so down on Las Ramblas? [Re: Rodolfo]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I agree , Rodolfo . I´ve been to Barcelona many times and never had a problem . The trick is not to look like a tourist . Try and fit in . Sure the pickpockets are all around Las Ramblas , but they´ll be looking for the obvious tourists . Same in London , New York , Moscow , Madrid etc...

#84507 - 05/29/09 10:34 AM Re: Why so down on Las Ramblas? [Re: steve robinson]
Kipper Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
When I was in Barcelona this past December, we didn't have any trouble, just be aware of your surroundings....I loved it....

#84509 - 05/29/09 02:38 PM Re: Why so down on Las Ramblas? [Re: steve robinson]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Originally Posted By steve robinson
The trick is not to look like a tourist .

Easy for you to not look like a tourist laugh

I think for the rest of us, trick is to stay alert. I feel bad for those who are hassled by pickpockets etc but it shouldn't keep anyone from visting.

Hope you're doing well mate.

#84510 - 05/29/09 05:51 PM Re: Why so down on Las Ramblas? [Re: Rodolfo]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I am doing well Rudy .... And you´re right .

#84522 - 05/31/09 12:11 PM Re: Why so down on Las Ramblas? [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I tend to think of Las Ramblas in Barcelona the same as I do the Puerta del Sol in Madrid. Sure, things happen at all times of the day but the odds are very low that anything will happen to you.

The logical thing to do is "sing" when things go wrong. But you rarely hear from the masses when things go right. So the "bad" things usually outweigh the good things on the internet.

Saludos, BarcelonaMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#84585 - 06/11/09 10:06 AM Re: Why so down on Las Ramblas? [Re: MadridMan]
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Before I visited Barcelona years ago, I did my research and came across a website that listed almost weekly the crime that takes place on Ramblas. I posted something MM after I came back about how safe I felt on Las Ramblas and I visited it almost daily for over a week.

I have to disagree with not looking like a tourist because I will standout in a crowd. I am busy shooting photographs, will tell people how to pose or polity ask them move if they are in my photograph. So everyone will hear my New York City accent. I give up trying not to look like a tourist because I act as one but I was "always" aware of surrounding.

But still after all these years and traveling to other destinations, I have never seen so many stupid tourists in one area like my everyday visits to the Las Ramblas. Tourists doing stupid things that leave themselves open to the possibly they will be a victim of a crime. Some tourists would still play Three Card Monty, come on everyone know it is a scam and there is no excuse to become a victim of this street hustle.

I think if I had to give a lesson to a novice tourist, I would take them to the Las Ramblas and let them watch other tourists so they would know what not to do.

Bill

#84588 - 06/11/09 01:02 PM Re: Why so down on Las Ramblas? [Re: Bill from NYC]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Quote:
from Bill from NYC

I think if I had to give a lesson to a novice tourist, I would take them to the Las Ramblas and let them watch other tourists so they would know what not to do.

Bill

That's the smartest thing I've ever heard on the subject. If only it was possible.

Edited by MadridMan (06/11/09 01:44 PM)
Edit Reason: correcting syntax error

#84836 - 07/12/09 09:59 PM Re: Why so down on Las Ramblas? [Re: Rodolfo]
Donna Cuervo Offline

Loc: New York, NY
There's a difference between crime and the perception of crime. The seedy atmosphere on many areas of the Ramblas and the streets leading off it makes people feel less safe than when walking among the designer boutiques on the wide boulevards of the Eixample...even when nothing happens.

#84837 - 07/12/09 10:34 PM Re: Why so down on Las Ramblas? [Re: Donna Cuervo]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Very good point, dmc123. For example, so many times I've been called-to by prostitutes as I'm passing by. But just having prostitutes on XYZ Street (even on Las Ramblas) doesn't make it unsafe. Seedy, yes.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments