Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#8420 - 08/28/05 04:19 PM Hotel in Madrid
VailGirl Offline

Loc: Vail, Colorado
Hi everyone! I'll be traveling through Madrid October 14, 15 and 16 and am looking to stay at a nice ($200 - $300/night) hotel in Old Madrid. I'll be by myself so I want a safe area. Any suggestions?

#8421 - 08/28/05 05:26 PM Re: Hotel in Madrid
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
There are a lot of very nice hotels in Madrid.

In terms of area, luxury, etc., I would suggest the Westin Palace or the Villa Real. They are within sight of each other, and one half block from Starbucks, the Tourist Office, the Prado, and the Thyssen-Bornemisza Art Museum. Not to mention, an easy walk to Puerta del Sol, the Atocha train station, and the Congreso de Diputados if you have a hankering to see Zapatero.

By the way, my wife went to high school with Dwight Henniger, the police chief of Vail.

Good luck !!

#8422 - 08/28/05 05:34 PM Re: Hotel in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
GoMadrid, good suggestions.

Could you recommend walking alone to these two hotels at night after an evening around Plaza Mayor/Puerta del Sol? That's an important question, I think. But you're right in that these two aren't far to Puerta del Sol. Any further east, say the Paseo del Prado, I consider being on the eastern edge of "Old Madrid" so returning there from the center (or western edge) of "Old Madrid" might be a considerable walk alone at night.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#8423 - 08/28/05 05:47 PM Re: Hotel in Madrid
VailGirl Offline

WOW! Thank you guys! OK - one more question.
Pick 3 "not-miss" activities to do during the day and 3 "not miss" at night(fri and sat). I want to make the most of my short stay.

Where did your wife go to school? I don't know the police chief personally (thank God!) but he's doing a great job. You know they all drive around in brand new Saabs!

#8424 - 08/28/05 08:56 PM Re: Hotel in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
VailGirl wrote:
Quote:
Pick 3 "not-miss" activities to do during the day and 3 "not miss" at night(fri and sat). I want to make the most of my short stay.
I think these may be better placed/asked in the "Food, Drink, & Entertainment" forum category unless you're more curious about places to visit - in which case it would be best placed in the "Favorite Places" forum category. If you choose to post in any category, please include the city name as a "locator" in your subject line. Thanks and good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#8425 - 08/29/05 01:37 AM Re: Hotel in Madrid
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
My wife went to Gunn High School in Palo Alto, CA.

To answer MadridMan's queries, I think this is an area that is safe to walk to and from most things you will want to see day or night. If you are on the street with other people, you will be fine. By with other people, I mean 4:00 AM is probably not a good time to be out.

If you can afford to stay at the Palace, you can afford to take a $10.00 taxi ride home, if you need to.

Things to do: Daytime.. MadridVision bus, Casa Mingo restaurant, Palacio Real, Prado Museum, Reina Sofía Museum..(skip Thyssen-Bornemisza). Day trip to Toledo. Puerta del Sol. Museo de Jamón restaurant, Edelweiss restaurant.

Night: Casa Patas for flamenco. La Barraca restaurant for paella. La Maceira restaurant for Galician food (7 Calle de Jesus) (near Palace and Villa Real).

Hit the tapas places around Plaza Santa Ana and Huertas. Go late at night for churros and chocolate to Choclatería de San Gines (Calle Arenal).

This should be a start. There are many Madrileños who are far more dedicated to "La Marcha", and can assist with dance places.

I am going to be in Madrid from September 28 until October 7 if you need for me to do something for you.

Good luck !

#8426 - 08/30/05 08:45 PM Re: Hotel in Madrid
villa Offline

Loc: Madrid
About Hotels... Everyone in Madrid talks about the new Urban Hotel, just in front of Congreso de los Diputados.

I want to agree that Carrera de San Jerónimo, where Palace an Urban hotels are, is a good place to walk at 4.00 am on friday and saturday, because Sevilla circus, which is very near, is full of bares.

#8427 - 09/01/05 12:57 PM Re: Hotel in Madrid
VailGirl Offline

Thank you so much everyone!! This was very helpful!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments