Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#83774 - 02/10/09 12:14 PM Bush fires in Australia
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I wanted just to transfer Aussieflyerīs comments about whatīs going on in Australia right now ( from the shoutbox ) . The worst natural ( maybe not completely ) disaster in Australian modern history.
I have been so moved by whatīs happening over there .. I have family and friends in Australia though , thankfully , not in the worst hit areas .
Nearly 200 people have died despite the very best efforts of the Australian emergency services .. And these guys are working 24/7 to control the disaster .
I watched a brief interview with a man who lost both his kids and another who lost his grandparents ... Absolutely heartbreaking .......
The prime minister of Australia , Kevin Rudd , couldnīt even complete one interview due to his distress ... At last we see a politician with a heart ( no matter what you think of his politics ) ..
Australia has always been a strong country and magnificently beautiful . Iīm sure , despite the horror of whatīs happening , you guys will get back on your feet .. though it will undoubtably be difficult .
Some areas are being treated as a crime scene . Itīs hard to imagine what twisted minds want to start these bush fires deliberately .
Kevin Rudd was in no mood to compromise and vowed to catch these guys and charge them with mass murder . I think he probably echoes most Australianīs opinions .. If not the worldīs . Steve

Edited by steve robinson (02/10/09 12:15 PM)

#83780 - 02/11/09 04:32 AM Re: Bush fires in Australia [Re: steve robinson]
aussieflyer Offline

Loc: Australian
Thank you Steve,
These last 14 days or so, have been the worst in my living memory.
The magnitude of what has happened here in my home state, the images, the loss of life, and property is a tragedy
unimaginable and beyond belief.
The human cost is monumental. Whole communities wiped off the face of the earth. Hundreds dead, families
hopes and dreams shattered.
It will take many years and billions of dollars to assist in helping all those affected re establish their homes, businesses, farms, and more importantly their shattered lives.
As a community, we are now all coming together willingly, to do all that we can, to assist in any and every way we can.
It is just so sad, as there are still 16 fires raging around the state.Thank you again, Aussieflyer

#83781 - 02/11/09 04:52 AM Re: Bush fires in Australia [Re: aussieflyer]
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
VERY WELL PUT Steve
my sister lives in Brisbane and they have been lucky(?)they have other problems
but according to the papers the police are very close to making arrest of these bar stewards

#83831 - 02/15/09 08:49 PM Re: Bush fires in Australia [Re: aussieflyer]
Jim Costello Offline

Loc: New York City
Hello Aussieflyer:
I want to let you know of the following information.

Australian Bushfire Fundraiser in New York City.

The Australian consul general launched an appeal to help thousands of victims of his nations rampaging bushfires, with a benefit that was held on Saturday, February 14. The event was held at the The Australian Restaurant in New York City and hosted by Consul General John Olsen. The fundraiser began at 3:00 PM with a $20 cover charge going directly to the Australian Red Cross. In addition, raffles for prizes were sold and the owners of The Australian donated $2.00 for every drink purchased. Live music was performed by Sarah McLellon, MiG Ayesa, Deonne Zanotto, Kylie Edmond and Luke Dolahenty.

My wife and I attended this event. I can tell you The Australian was crowded with people donating money, buying raffles and drinks. The Australian is a very nice restaurant. The web-site is www.theaustraliannyc.com When my wife and I left at 4:00 PM due to another commitment, people were waiting in line outside in the street. In the newspaper was information for those who want to help but couldn't attend the fundraiser, a donation can be made online to the American Australian Association's Victorian Bushfire Relief Fund: www.americanaustralian.org/en/art?345

This was first time my wife and I went to The Australian restaruant. We did like the food and plan to go back soon. On a personal note we want to tell you how sorry we are for all the people in the state of Victoria, Australia.

New York City is with the people of the state of Victoria. May God Bless Australia.

Respectfully submitted,
Jim Costello
New York City

#83927 - 03/03/09 09:36 PM Re: Bush fires in Australia [Re: Jim Costello]
Jim Costello Offline

Loc: New York City
Update on the fundraiser in New York City for the bushfires victims.

The Australian restaurant in New York City held a fundraiser for the victims of the bushfires and the Australian Red Cross.

The event was held on February 14 and raised
$100,000 US to help Australia.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments