Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#83758 - 02/08/09 08:11 AM Renfe
Denise 2009 Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada (ex Toledo, Ohi...
The RENFE site is aggravating (for one whose Spanish is almost NIL!). I'm wondering what the luggage rules and restrictions are, how long before the train leaves are you required to get to the station to check in, what is the security like, etc. All of those travel questions that one deals with these days. I can find schedules okay in English, but details like I'm after don't seem to be around in English. Am I missing a little British flag that I have to click? Suggestions?

#83759 - 02/08/09 09:54 AM Re: Renfe [Re: Denise 2009]
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Your AVE Ticket will have a Carriage # & seat assignment listed.
At Madrid's Puerta de Atocha there was a Security screening on the Platform before boarding, so you should probably plan to be there 15-30 min before departure. Curiously, I don't remember going thru anything of the like at Sevilla Santa Justa station.
Each Carriage has luggage racks near the vestibule at the end of the Carriage. I think you're allowed 2-pieces. Sometimes all available space on the luggage racks is taken up by someone who has a couple of 'footlocker-size' bags; that's the exception. I usually travel with one 'stowable' and a small carry-on. The overhead racks are very small.
Hope this helps ...

#83760 - 02/08/09 12:07 PM Re: Renfe [Re: Eddie]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
You bring up an interesting point Eddie . Yes , your luggage will be security screened in Madrid .. But nothing in Sevilla or Málaga . Doesn´t really make sense . I´ll be interested to see what happens when the new Madrid - Bilbao AVE line opens !! ETA already murdered 1 AVE executive last year and have threatened to bomb the new line .. so I expect huge security !
Steve

#83762 - 02/08/09 04:03 PM Re: Renfe [Re: Eddie]
Denise 2009 Offline

Soooo...like a plane, I can have 2 pcs of luggage per person, but it's NOT checked in a luggage car. Correct? But, unlike planes, I only need to be at the train station 1/2 hr. 45 min. before departure? Do I have those 2 right?

#83765 - 02/08/09 04:44 PM Re: Renfe [Re: Denise 2009]
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
There's no strict control over how many bags you can take on the train and no checked bags. Most routes are full trains, so I wouldn't overdo it. Big bags can fit at the end of the cars or overhead (provided you can hoist them up onto the rack). If you are traveling from Madrid or the end of the line, it's worth getting down on the platform at least 20 minutes early--when there is still plenty of room for bags. If you are hopping on a train in the middle of the route, then there could less space for luggage. If you don't have your tickets ahead of time, 1/2 is not enough time... It can sometimes take up to an hour to get your tickets at the big stations. Your best bet is to have your tickets in hand when you get there.

#83766 - 02/08/09 04:56 PM Re: Renfe [Re: madridmadridmadrid]
Denise 2009 Offline

Thanks! We travelled from Germany to Denmark many years ago and we didn't know that we had to put our luggage on the train BEFORE the train we were taking to Denmark. The luggage followed in the train AFTER ours. Luckily, some local friends stopped the train and retrieved our luggage, otherwise we would not have seen it until the following day. *L*

#83770 - 02/09/09 02:51 PM Re: Renfe [Re: Denise 2009]
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

I just want to confirm what everyone else is saying. I traveled on the AVE from Madrid to Sevilla this past July, and there really isn't any strict baggage control. However, my friend and I were very late (as in we almost missed our train!) and once we got to the car, we had to do quite a bit of arranging in order to fit our suitcases at the end of the car. Luckily we only had one large suitcase each.

Security at Atocha didn't take very long, thankfully, as we literally ran through the entire station. I don't know if this is common as it was very early in the morning, so you should make sure you give yourself enough time to go through the baggage screening.

And, as an aside, we did have to go through security in Sevilla at Santa Justa before returning to Madrid. It was very quick, but we did have to put our bags through a machine. We almost thought we didn't have to do so, but there was a small security check on the platform.

Lastly, my friend and I printed our tickets at home in the States from the computer and brought them with us. Again, it was very helpful to have them since we nearly missed the train.

#83775 - 02/10/09 12:29 PM Re: Renfe [Re: la historiadora]
Denise 2009 Offline

Thanks everyone. I do plan on printing my tickets from home (if I don't encounter any system glitches), however, I could change my mind if I don't want to restrict our itinerary. We will have 2 large cases (the ones we bring from Canada with us) as well as our other carry on paraphernalia.

#84003 - 03/12/09 12:45 PM Re: Renfe [Re: Denise 2009]
andy Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
We are thinking about buying tickets on the Renfe website prior to our trip to Spain in June 2009. We have traveled several times from Gijon on the express in Preferente (First) Class and because the train originates there, always were able to store two large/heavy suitcases on the floor or rack at the front of the car. As the train made several stops in route and there was soon no more space in the designated rack, passengers were allowed to place bulky/heavy bags on the large floor area designated for wheel chairs (no wheelchair passengers were traveling those days).
Since we would now be traveling from Madrid (Chamartin) we have some additional questions concerning Renfe :
1.) Can seats be selected when purchasing via the internet like on airplanes?
2.) What kind of large luggage inspection is done at the Madrid train station?
3.) If the train is coming thru Madrid (not originating there), how is the luggage stored on board if the designated rack is full? Are you likely to get hasseled by the train conductor?
4.) Does the station lounge for Preferente passengers offer any pre-boarding advantage? Is it before or after security?

#84032 - 03/16/09 04:33 AM Re: Renfe [Re: andy]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
1) As far as I recall, you cannot select seats on the trains. But if you buy tickets all at the time time for, say, 4 people you're likely to get all 4 together - or at least near each other.

2) They have a X-Ray rolling belt for all luggage.

3) There are large-luggage "racks" and spaces at both ends of any given train car. So if one is full you have to go looking for others on your own. Best advice is to get there early when possible. And you won't see the train conductor until AFTER you're on the move. (sometimes after a long time!)

4) Hmmm.. I've never heard of a/the lounge for Preferente passengers but have only traveled as Preferente once and didn't use the lounge. Anyone else?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments