MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#25413 - 09/13/08 12:48 PM Re: Favourite spots - Madrid
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
What a tough question as there are so many places! I had to ponder this one for a couple of days.
I love La Latina barrio! It is one of the traditional castizo neighborhoods in Madrid and is filled with bars, restaurants and sites. The buildings are old and the streets are quaint! I especially love walking down Cava Baja to Plaza San Andres, stopping along the way for a drink and a tapa (or a few), then heading in through Plaza de la Paja, just meandering through the many streets. There are beautiful little churches ( I discovered a few this summer) and little quiet plazas. It doesn't feel overly touristy at all. It is just a wonderful central neighborhood that hasn't changed much. Oh, and the Fiesta de la Paloma (La Latina's festival) in mid=-August is a great Madrileno tradition!

#83521 - 01/03/09 09:50 PM Re: Favourite spots - Madrid [Re: MadridMan]
puppyfeat Offline

Loc: London
I love the Reina Sofia gallery/museum. The building itself is lovely - looks great from the outside with the lifts at the front (from which you get a great view from the inside) and the modern extension at the back, and the inside is such a nice place to wander around. Obviously the main attraction is Picasso's Guernica, which is awesome whether you're seeing it for the first or the hundredth time (not that I have - but I'm getting close!), but there's plenty of other great art in there too. They have some good temporary exhibitions occasionally too.

I also love the Berbabeau stadium, although I liked it better when the (east?) side was open at the top. It was so great watching a match from up there in September under a clear sky in 80 degrees wearing just a tee shirt and shorts! Of course, you can still do that, but the roof somehow makes it feel less special.

And then after a match I like to get the tube back to Tribunal and hit a few of the bars before turning in for the night.

That's kinda my perfect Madrid day really - Reina Sofia, Bernabeau, Tribunal!

#83528 - 01/04/09 04:44 PM Re: Favourite spots - Madrid [Re: puppyfeat]
Silver Traveler Offline

Loc: LaGrange (Near Atlanta) Georgi...
First Choice - The Prado - I can stay in there for hours and want to stay even more.

Second Choice - The area between the Prado and the Puerta del Sol. So interesting to walk through.

Third - The train station at Atocha - Who would ever anticipate a tropical garden there!!!

Fourth - Sabatini Gardens adjacent to the Royal Place. Small, but so nice.

#83576 - 01/11/09 07:48 AM Re: Favourite spots - Madrid [Re: MadridMan]
leonardo17 Offline

Loc: Dortmund/Germany
Billy - i fully agree with u, the Bernabeu is one of the greatest places in Madrid. I will visit it this year again.
MadridMan - Have u ever visited Rosaleda Park, i was there three or four times (May/June) - great gorgeous roses.

Sunday afternoon in Retiro is great.

Taking a beer at Plaza Santa Ana is great, too.

Saludos, WB

#83577 - 01/11/09 08:13 AM Re: Favourite spots - Madrid [Re: MadridMan]
David_H Offline

Loc: UK
At night,I really like La Latina,and the bars and restaurants of the Cava Baja.Lunch At the Circulo de Bellas Artes,and walking around the Templo de Debod and the park.But if it is very hot,the pool at the Hotel Emperador takes some beating.

#83579 - 01/11/09 04:28 PM Re: Favourite spots - Madrid [Re: leonardo17]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
WBOEVING, HI AGAIN!!! wavey Long time no see! You're one of our founding members and you only have 5 posts. That's not a bad yearly average. wink hehehe... Just teasing you.

But yes, I have been to the Rosaleda Park many times. It's very pretty!! I love it. thumbsup

Hope you make it back to Madrid again someday soon.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#83580 - 01/11/09 08:51 PM Re: Favourite spots - Madrid [Re: David_H]
Jim Costello Offline

Loc: New York City
Hola David, please tell me how I could get to
Circulo de Bellas Artes from the Atocha train station. I may want to go to Circulo de
Bellas Artes for lunch. I will be in Madrid in April. My wife and I are looking for new places to eat when in Madrid.

Thank you,
Jim from New York City

#83594 - 01/13/09 12:22 PM Re: Favourite spots - Madrid [Re: Jim Costello]
David_H Offline

Loc: UK
Jim,the easiest way would just be to walk from Atocha down the Paseo del Prado to Cibeles.Circuloo de Bellas Artes is just off Alcala( you can short cut if you take some of the back streets).Maybe 15-20 minutes walk or so.The nearest Metro is Banco de Espana,but it is easier to walk(or cab)

#83625 - 01/15/09 04:31 PM Re: Favourite spots - Madrid [Re: David_H]
ABP Offline

Loc: MADRID
I love "La Plaza de Toros de las Ventas" , "Plaza Puerta de Moros" and "Campo del Moro" garden.

#83637 - 01/16/09 07:34 PM Re: Favourite spots - Madrid [Re: ABP]
Jim Costello Offline

Loc: New York City
David thank you for the information on the Circuloo de Bellas Artes. Please tell me if Circuloo is near a Vips and the James Joyce Pub on Alcala. Do you know the name of the street that it is off Alcala.

Thank you for your assistance.
Jim (New York City)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments