Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#82763 - 05/25/05 09:37 AM Re: Plan Ibarretxe
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
I don't believe anyone indicated that the government should negotiate with ETA. What has been stated is that the government should negotiate with the Basque political parties.

On the issue of support for independence, there were essentially three major options. I do not see the way the vote went as support for the Madrid government. Only 1 in 3 people support federal control. The other 2/3 want independence or autonomy.

If the only issue was independence or remain part of Spain, we might see a completely different outcome, as the voters who would accept autonomy would split into two factions, and there's a very strong possibility that the majority of them would support independence. That's why the government refuses a referendum indicating those two options.

Yes, there are people from Basque Country who have left due to their political beliefs, or those of their family, and/or friends. I think that's a serious problem. People should have the right to voice their disapproval of government, or of those who oppose the goverment, without fear of retribution. ETA I'm afraid does not accept that premise, and terrorizes those who speak out against their actions.

But, like I've indicated before, ETA exists only because there are people who fear them, and because ETA does support some views of a lot of Basques.

The bombings over the last few days are wrong. ETA has done more to stop any negotiations from happening than they'd imagine. It was stupid on their part. At least there was the possibility of some dialogue with Basque political parties, but now that's out the window because of their actions.

I'm afraid the leadership of ETA is becoming even more militant, if that's possible. They seem to want to do nothing but create chaos, without regards to what's best for the people of Basque Country.

Wolf

#82764 - 05/25/05 10:24 AM Re: Plan Ibarretxe
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
MM's resident "Professor Emeritus" aka Wolf says

Quote:
But, like I've indicated before, ETA exists only because there are people who fear them, and because ETA does support some views of a lot of Basques.

The bombings over the last few days are wrong. ETA has done more to stop any negotiations from happening than they'd imagine. It was stupid on their part. At least there was the possibility of some dialogue with Basque political parties, but now that's out the window because of their actions.

I'm afraid the leadership of ETA is becoming even more militant, if that's possible. They seem to want to do nothing but create chaos, without regards to what's best for the people of Basque Country.
One more betrayal for those that do favor aspects of the Basque political parties agendas by ETa

#82765 - 05/25/05 02:45 PM Re: Plan Ibarretxe
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Wolf, I know that you have the best intention in mind and that you try to be as objective as possible, even if that means being the devil's advocate.

But believe me, giving ETA or its environment the benefit of the doubt is worthless.

They don't care about the future of the Basque Country but only for the future of themselves.

There is nothing to be negotiated with them. And basque nationalists are not a valid interlocutor either. You are assuming that the central government should negotiate with basque nationalists... why? are PP and PSOE voters in the Basque Country less basque?

About the referendum: as you know, our constitution states that a referendum can only be held with the support of two thirds of our parlament (or a million signatures). Our constitution states that the subject of sovereignity is the whole country. Thus, per our laws, a referendum should be voted by all spaniards. If the basque government wanted independence they have the tools (no matter it is difficult).

What you can't do in a democracy is to break the laws.

And there are also the issues you have said:

- who is basque and who isn't? Those who live in the Basque Country? what about inmigrants (from other provinces or countries)? what about basques who have been forced our of their home by menaces (6 bombs against businessmen in the last week for not paying extortion)?

- how valid it is a referendum held in this situation when there is menaced people?

- how can we be sure that the referendum would be definitive?

- what of the people who wanted to remain spanish?

- what about the infrastructures build with spanish money (like Bilbao's seaport, 12000 million euros)?

And then, if at last they get indpendendent, should Navarre join the Basque Country as basques demand? should the south of France? should Castile-Lion give territories basque nationalist demand?

They will be kicked out of the euro and the EU. We will have tariffs to commerce with them. Some big companies will move out of the Basque Country (as Iberdrola or BBVA which have much more business out than in the Basque Country) and unemployment will raise to 25% (as a basque economist stated in an essay).

One last note: the autonomies in Spain (for which a third of basques opted in the poll) have much more autonomy than Northern Ireland, german federal landers or other federal states.

Fernando

#82766 - 05/25/05 04:58 PM Re: Plan Ibarretxe
jabch Offline

What happens with most subversive groups is that if they stop violence then they run out of business. Why would they disarm, surrender and formally enter into politics if they are in politics already and have a more leverage with a gun in their hands. The Spanish government has to offer a great deal for ETA to stop its movement; however, this may amount to unethical. The other options is disarm them, freeze their assets and prosecute its members, however, this has shown to be bloody, expensive, slow and not to solve the problem for once. Can you think of a different approach to solve this issue?

#82767 - 05/26/05 08:31 AM Re: Plan Ibarretxe
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Heavy thought but has anyone ever considered what ETA is really after? I think general consensus is that 'Basque independence' is an emotional term that many can relate to in some degree so it serves the purposes of ETA.

Guess what I'm trying to discover is who really profits and how do they profit from ETA's actions?

#82768 - 05/26/05 03:01 PM Re: Plan Ibarretxe
monito Offline

Loc: madrid
Speaking as someone who was working in the building next door (Alcala 496) when the car bomb went off I can wholeheartedly say that I desire nothing more than they put a wall around Pais Vasco and throw away the key, if the majority want it of course and not just the band of cowards that call themselves ETA. You can't talk with someone who has a gun or a bomb behind there back.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2083 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments