Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#8265 - 06/05/05 09:33 PM Near Picos: country hotel
AnnK Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA
We stayed at the Posada del Valles . This is an English-style country hotel near the north-west corner of the Picos de Europa, just outside of Arriondas.

The place was great. At 54E for a double, we got a room with an excellent view, great bed, and spacious bathroom. But much more important in the country hotel line, was the terrace looking out over the gardens, the reading room with English paperbacks, the socializing room with guidebooks, the hotellier-done notebook of walks (copies made on request), the pre-dinner socializing and so on.

The two standout elements were the knowledgeable explanations of various walks--what was best that day and the next--and the food. Sumptuous Spanish dinners, with items such as artichokes and favas from the garden, and a choice of Asturian cheeses or something with lots of chocolate (and some other choices) for dessert, and other yummy things. The breakfast yogurt (local, of course) was incredible!

Admittedly, not everyone goes to Spain for the English Country House experience, but we loved it--and the food was not English! The smoked cod appetizer ...and the olive oil at breakfast, no, this was modern Spanish, and excellent.

If you are planning on being in that area, I strongly recommend the place.

#8266 - 06/06/05 05:47 AM Re: Near Picos: country hotel
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
AnnK writes:
Quote:
We stayed at ... an English-style country hotel near the north-west corner of the Picos de Europa, just outside of Arriondas.

... If you are planning on being in that area, I strongly recommend the place.
When was your stay there?? I ask this question because of the price you quoted: During 'High' season (mid-July to mid-September) you can't rent a stable in that area for 54 Euro.

From your description it sounds like the place caters to 'Brits' or other English-speaking tourists. I prefer total immersion in the local ambiance.

Was any of your pre-dinner socializing with people who didn't speak English?

Our last visit to that area we stayed at Hostal Picos de Europa in Potes (the Fuente De Parador was undergoing renovations). It's really a full service Hotel: it just doesn't meet some of the requirements for a 3-star rating (which is the category I would put it in). The Hostal owners are more into outdoorsy stuff: trail biking, whitewater rafting or 4-wheeling (he has a couple of 4X4's for rent).

As for dining: I hope you enjoyed a Favada Asturiana followed by a nice nap.

#8267 - 06/06/05 04:25 PM Re: Near Picos: country hotel
AnnK Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA
The 54 Euros is "mid-season": our stay in May counted as mid-season. High season is Easter plus July, August, and the first half of September. Their web page explains their rates.

By the way, in mid-May, there were fields of daffodils in places, along with wild columbine, foxglove, hyacinth, ranunculus, and other flowers that I didn't have names for. We were lucky as far as the weather.

And yes, the place is designed for Brits wanting walks in a better climate than the Lake district, I think, rather than people visiting Spain. That does mean it is not the right place for a lot of people. But different people travel for different reasons, and it will suit some people, including me. Besides, for me, the Brits count as interesting foreigners too.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments