Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#8249 - 06/01/05 07:47 AM Hotel Mora-Madrid; Hostal Opera-Barcelona
rstomber Offline

My wife and I stayed at these locations during our week vacation in Spain.

Here are some comments:

Hotel Mora , Madrid: perfect location for us, right across the street from the Prado and a short walk to Parque del Retiro; close to Atocha station and metro stop; very clean and the front desk was quite helpful confirming flights and other arrangements; priced right for us -- about 75E; even though it's on a busy roadway, the windows are double sealed and we could not hear much traffic or noise from outside, if any - our room was an outside room overlooking Pl. del Prado; would definitely recommend Hotel Mora and would stay here again.

Hostal Opera , Barcelona: perfect location for us, just a few minutes from Liceu metro stop; quite inexpensive, 58E; this was our first stay in a hostal; Hostal Opera located on a pretty busy alley way type street; our room was quite noisy during the night but I believe there are quieter rooms if you can get them; front desk not very helpful with confirming reservations, etc. but again this is a hostal and not a hotel with a concierge; a 1 minute walk to the Ramblas was great; very easy to get around the city using the metro from Liceu; also liked being close to La Boqueria, the Gothic area, and the Mediterranean; would probably stay here again if we go back to Barcelona.

Hope this is helpful.

#8250 - 07/08/05 12:21 PM Re: Hotel Mora-Madrid; Hostal Opera-Barcelona
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Yes it was. smile

Thank You

Bill

#8251 - 07/14/05 08:44 AM Re: Hotel Mora-Madrid; Hostal Opera-Barcelona
epaulino4 Offline

Loc: USA
This is my second posting about Hostal Opera.

Just back from Barcelona among other places. I did not stay there this time but my niece did for two nights and therefore I visited with her frequently.

On the positive side: Can't beat location, Ramblas is meters away, Liceu train stop and Plaza Cataluna is walking distance as well as the Gothic Barrio, Plaza Real and many other places of interest and it has elevators. The street is safe, has a call center and internet@.50/hr. Front desk people are cordial.

The minuses:

The room rate confirmed in writing "went up" at check in time. A good part of their business seems to be groups and they can be very noisy, No TV. She was lectured on the rules because she requested fresh towels the next day (towels are changed every two days, bed every four days). She was leaving at check out time next day, however the pressure to pay the bill began mounting early the afternoon before departure.
I challenged that rule on her behalf and she paid at departure time.

You can love this place for the conveniences, however it is costly, very plain and noisy.

Barcelona does not seem to have many great choices of hostals according to what I have seen, read and heard. If you have a great recommendation, please let me know.

Thanks

#8252 - 07/14/05 10:35 AM Re: Hotel Mora-Madrid; Hostal Opera-Barcelona
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

epaulino4

Thanks for the information. I am in the process of finding a place to stay in Barcelona in October and have crossed off Hostal Opera from my list. This is definitely a place I do not want to stay for eight days. I been using Timeout's Barcelona hotel guide http://www.timeout.com/barcelona/hotels/ for a list of places in Barcelona. It might help you. I still researching the places they recommend and I am interested in with other websites.

There is a very good chance not going to stay in the La Rambla area, it seems touristy. But that's my impression from what I read. confused

Bill

#8253 - 07/14/05 10:40 AM Re: Hotel Mora-Madrid; Hostal Opera-Barcelona
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Bill from NYC, et. al.: Don't forget the complete listing of all of Barcelona's Hostels/Pensions/Youth-Hostels, Hotels, & Apartments which have websites on the MadridMan\'s Barcelona Lodging page .

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#8254 - 07/14/05 11:10 AM Re: Hotel Mora-Madrid; Hostal Opera-Barcelona
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Madridman

I have use it but the Timeout website has reviews. Reading so many messages over the days in this forum there not much feedback on Barcelona. Plenty of opinions about places to stay in Madrid.

You should know I will be staying at Hostal Alfonsa while I am visiting Santiago de Compostela, based on solely on the two recommendations I found on this website. I should let them know why I picked their hostal, because of this website.

Does the Spanish Tourist Office know about you? wink

Bill

#8255 - 07/14/05 11:36 AM Re: Hotel Mora-Madrid; Hostal Opera-Barcelona
gregorio Offline

Loc: seattle
Santiago has plenty of options in regards of places to stay. Was there in Feb and stayed at Costa Vella, it was great double room for around 73E if memory stands correct, 4 min walk to the catherdral and close to many bars and restaruants.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments