MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#82133 - 03/18/04 05:43 AM Re: My letter to the people of Spain
kate burnham Offline

Loc: madrid
TERRORISM HAS TO BE STOPPED.

DO U THINK IT WOULD BE BETTER IF AMERICA AND HER ALLIES PULLED OUT OF EVERY COUNTRY SUFFERING AT THE HANDS OF DICTATORS, TERRORISTS AND THE EXCUSES FOR GOVERNMENTS SEEN AROUND THE WORLD TODAY AND SIMPLY LEFT THEM TO THEIR OWN DEVICES? DO U THINK THE KILLING WOULD STOP THERE?
OR DO YOU BELIEVE IN THE "I'M ALRIGHT JACK" PHILOSOPHY AND SO SOD EVERY ONE ELSE?

I LIVE HERE IN MADRID AND ABHORE THE VIOLENCE THAT THE U.S, SPAIN AND EVERY OTHER COUNTRY
HAS SUFFERED AT THE HANDS OF THESE TERRORISTS, AND MY OWN COUNTRY, BRITAIN IS SOON TO BE NEXT,
WE ALL KNOW IT. I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT THIS ALOT, I ASKED MYSELF: IF I HAD THE CHOICE TO STOP THE WAR NOW, AND THEREFORE PREVENT AN ATTACK ON ENGLAND WOULD I DO IT? THE IMMEDIATE RESPONSE IS "YES" BUT BY DOING THIS I WOULD BE ALLOWING THE DALILY LIVES OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE IN COUNTRIES RAVAGED BY WAR AND POVERTY TO BE FURTHER OPPRESSED AND SUBJECTED TO HORRIFIC BREACHES OF THE HUMAN RIGHTS THAT WE SO FREELY ENJOY.

WE HAVE TO ACT, IT IS UNFORTUNATE THAT THE PEOPLE WE ARE FIGHTING DO NOT ADHERE TO THE "RULES OF WAR" IF INDEED THERE ARE SUCH THINGS, BUT THIS IS THE 21ST CENTURY AND THINGS HAVE CHANGED. I SAY FIGHT BACK HARDER, STEP UP SECURITY AND PROTECT OURSELVES TO THE BEST OF OUR ABILITY. OUR GOVERNMENTS HAVE A HARD JOB TO DO, AND WHICHEVER ROUTE THEY CHOOSE LEADS INEVITABLY TO HEARTACHE AND SUFFERING, ASK YOURSELF; COULD YOU DO A BETTER JOB? WILL YOU LET THE LIVES OF THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN MURDERED BE IN VAIN? IF I DIED AT THE HANDS OF THESE TERRORISTS I WOULD WANT MY DEATH AVENGED. HOW DARE A HANDFUL OF PEOPLE THROW SLANDER ON AN ENITRE RELIGION AND MAKE GOOD LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS FEAR PUBLIC PLACES AND TRANSPORTATION.

ALL THIS "IN FIGHTING" BETWEEN THE PEOPLE THAT USE THIS SITE ONLY CONTINUE TO WEAKEN OUR DEFENCES, AL QUAIDA HAVE SUCCEEDED IN CHANGING THE ENTIRE POLITICAL SYSTEM IN SPAIN, DO NOT LET THEM DIVIDE THE PEOPLE AND PROCURE HATRED AMONG THEM AS WELL.

LIVE AND LET LIVE, EACH TO THIER OWN OPINION, SURE, BUT TAKE CARE WITH YOUR THOUGHTS, WARS HAVE BEEN STARTED OVER LESS.

#82134 - 03/18/04 10:28 AM Re: My letter to the people of Spain
Kevin Offline

Loc: Augusta, Georgia
"Neither the United States of America nor the world community of nations can tolerate deliberate deception and offensive threats on the part of any nation, large or small. We no longer live in a world where only the actual firing of weapons represents a sufficient challenge to a nation's security"
-- President John F. Kennedy during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."
-- President John F. Kennedy

Democrats, why the change?

#82135 - 03/18/04 12:30 PM Re: My letter to the people of Spain
Wally Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA

#82136 - 03/18/04 12:38 PM Re: My letter to the people of Spain
CynicalWisdom Offline

Wow, blame Bush for 3-11? Well, you may disagree with Bush's manner of handling terrorism or not, but to blame him is ludicrous. If I decided to follow a person who is leading people off a cliff, it is not his fault, it is mine. If Spain suffers repurcussions because their govt chose to follow a particular path, thats not anyone elses fault, it is theirs.
Personally I thought the Spanish people intelligent enough to know what they were getting into, what risks were involved. You may say that "I did not support the govts decision to back Bush" but that is irrelevant, it still does not make it BUSH'S fault that your govt decided to follow his plan. To blame Bush is not only wrongheaded in itself, but it is also an insult to spanish people because it implies they do not have any ability to determine for themselves what path they choose.. it implies they are mindless sheep... a position I do not hold to. You may not make claim to any intelligence or ability to self determination and at the same time pass blame for your choices on someone else. And though the outgoing govt may not have many supporters today, they apparently did at ONE time when they got elected. So, like it or not, Your govt is responsable for policies it takes, and ultimately the people who put that govt in office to begin with have the REAL responsability.

Ultimately, however, the blame really belongs to niether.. the blame belongs on the head of those who planted the BOMBS. Spanish reaction to it, however, is spanish responsability as well.

#82137 - 03/18/04 12:47 PM Re: My letter to the people of Spain
Wally Offline

CynicalWisdom - It is apparent to me (since I know what I wrote and why) that you are making entirely too many assumptions based on causations I never even remotely alluded to. I see from where you are coming, and I disagree with your assessment of my opinion.

Still, thank you for taking the time to lend more perspective to the picture.

#82138 - 03/18/04 12:56 PM Re: My letter to the people of Spain
CynicalWisdom Offline

"President Bush does not speak for me, and I tell you that it is on the innocent spilled blood of the slain Spanish that Bush will slip and fall. It is my fervent hope that his fall shakes this world, and the people of the United States into waking up to the lies and crimes of the Bush administration. There is no reason Spain should pay such a price, and I am humbled by her resolve."

Well it appears to me that you think Bush is responsable for the deaths and should justly pay the price for it.... or you are saying that he is not responsable, yet should pay the price for it anyway. Which?

#82139 - 03/18/04 01:09 PM Re: My letter to the people of Spain
Wally Offline

Quote:
" Well it appears to me that you think Bush is responsable for the deaths and should justly pay the price for it.... or you are saying that he is not responsable, yet should pay the price for it anyway. Which? " ~ CynicalWisdom
You are completely misreading it. I'm not saying that Bush is responsible, and I'm not saying that he should pay the price for _whatever_. We are seeing the trickle-down effects of a foreign policy that went bad well before Afghanistan, and Bush is going to have to deal with the consequences (as will the rest of the world).

The U.S. does not live in a vacuum -- what the Bush administration does, has consequences. People seem to want to gloss over those things. Every decision has its own set of consequences that get set into motion, and this is a big, big world in which we live. That is it.

#82140 - 03/18/04 02:00 PM Re: My letter to the people of Spain
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Jennita Quote: You can't post anything in these forums without getting attacked, having your words turned upside down and inside out. We all have opinions and to call another person an "idiot" is simply uncalled for.

I feel very much the same as you Jennita. It seems to happen more often lately. Frankly, anyone is entitled to his/her opinion. If someone else is opposed to that opinion then either respond intelligently and respectfully or have a slugfest on a different forum. Yes, I think a Political forum catagory would help, but I too feel that it may escalate to a boiling point rather quickly. So then, if that's the case then the only solution to the matter is quite simple...LEAVE! ADIOS! Find or establish your own Spain vs USA Forum where you can argue, debate, insult, harrass each other. Believe me, your presence here won't be missed! I don't mind a healthy debate or exchange of opinions, but you guys are taking it to a different level and its effecting the whole board.

#82141 - 03/18/04 02:37 PM Re: My letter to the people of Spain
Wally Offline

All that I wanted to do was accomplished in my first post.

I believe that I am finished discussing any politics regarding the subject -- I am more concerned for the Spanish people who must now cope with this disaster.

Others are free to say what they will about the politics of my post; I will no longer reply to them.

Live, and let live.

-=-=-

Added later:

I apologize for my part in this discussion turned political. If anyone has felt offended by my posts, I apologize for that, as well -- it was not my intention.

I hope that I have treated everyone respectfully, and I hope that no one will leave due to my posts. I am very, very sorry for all of this.

#82142 - 03/18/04 03:20 PM Re: My letter to the people of Spain
Silvita Offline

Loc: Chicago
Wally, you are an inspiration. I agree with you and thank you for your service in the Coast Guard. I'm sorry that you felt attacked, but usually, it's those to the right of the aisle that can't justify their arguments without getting personal, mean and venomous. I pray every night Bush loses the election.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments