MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#81797 - 03/10/08 04:53 PM Paris ideas
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
well, we are off to Paris next week to visit friends and to see the American University of Paris with my daughter. We will take a tour of the school and see how it is. So, just wondering if there are any special, out of the ordinary places to go, or things to do that anyone would like to recommend. It has been 8 years since our last visit to Paris and we are really looking forward to strolling and sipping coffee in the cafes, while we people watch. Any thoughts?

I wish we could also hop over to Madrid, but it can't be this time frown I feel terrible that we won't get to Spain this summer either. We are planning another trip to ARGENTINA! Spain will have to wait until next year, I guess. That weak dollar is killing us. eek

#81798 - 03/11/08 08:33 AM Re: Paris ideas
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

While not in Paris, if you never been to Versailles or have been but never saw the fountains in the huge garden actually working, I think it is something special to see.

I thought the gardens were nice when the fountains were not working, but spectacular when I saw the billowing water from them. I understand they do it on certain days of the month and I was lucky to be talk into coming back the next day by one of guides at Versailles to see this. cloud9

Have a great time. laugh

Bill

#81799 - 03/11/08 09:32 AM Re: Paris ideas
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

I think that they will begin working right after Easter, so I was thinking of Versailles too. I have never seen the fountains working either.

#81800 - 03/11/08 09:33 PM Re: Paris ideas
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Ah, I love Paris! That's great that you will be going, although I'm sure it will be tough to be so close to Madrid but not able to visit. I don't know if you read this thread already, but there were a few posts last fall about Paris that might give you some ideas. I love just walking around, window shopping, enjoying the fabulous cuisine and people watching, too.

One suggestion before you go would be to watch the movie " Paris Je T\'Aime ." I saw it not too long ago, and I really enjoyed it! It's 18 short films (each 5 minutes long) about love in Paris, and they are all directed by different famous international directors with famous international film stars.

Bon voyage! wave

#81801 - 03/12/08 04:33 AM Re: Paris ideas
The_Keeper Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Don't for get the Rodin Museum. See all the works of the worlds greatest ever sculptor.

If the weather is good, I can definitely recommend putting together a picnic from the fantastic Paris markets, buy a nice bottle of wine and sit in museum's gardens and enjoy a wonderfully relaxed lunch.

Like Books? Check out www.bookcrossing.com

#81802 - 03/12/08 04:35 AM Re: Paris ideas
The_Keeper Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland

Like Books? Check out www.bookcrossing.com

#81803 - 03/12/08 02:49 PM Re: Paris ideas
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Ooh, I will second The_Keeper's suggestion on the Rodin Museum. I saw it many years ago, but I really liked it! And, you will be very close to Musee de l\'Armee which is where Napoleon is buried. The museum is full of art and military items, and I seem to remember it was rather interesting. In any case, it's worth taking a walk over by the building as it's very imposing and impressive.

#81804 - 03/30/08 01:41 PM Re: Paris ideas
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

back from 7 days in (rainy and cold) Paris! We took advantage of the little bit of sunshine each day and did a lot of walking! It was funny that each time we went to a cafe it started raining or even hailing.

We got to a few museums and we took a trip to Versailles, but the best part of the trip was just people watching at the cafes and going to the markets. Unfortunately the prices were "out of control" expensive!! The weak dollar made it so hard not to feel like everything was an extravagance. A simple cafe creme was often 5 euros. frown yikes! What is a cafe con leche going for in Madrid these days? Is it just as expensive?

#81805 - 04/01/08 11:25 AM Re: Paris ideas
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

"A simple cafe creme was often 5 euros."

The hurts just reading that! To visit Paris again I have to win the lottery.

Bill

#81806 - 04/01/08 11:31 AM Re: Paris ideas
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

that is why ARGENTINA is in our futures!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments