Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#81779 - 01/24/08 03:00 PM Sangría banned in Virginia (USA)
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)

#81780 - 01/24/08 08:08 PM Re: Sangría banned in Virginia (USA)
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
Wow .... what craziness!!

But on the bright side Calimocho is still legal :-)

#81781 - 01/24/08 08:34 PM Re: Sangría banned in Virginia (USA)
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Antonio,

This would be violating one of the "blue" laws. A "blue" law is an antiquated law that's been on the books a long time and never before challenged. I read the other day why they are called "blue" laws, but don't exactly remember. From what little I remember, it had something to do with the pilgrims.

Usually, when these are challenged, they are updated to modern attitudes. Laws such as these are the result of having 50 states with the power to make law concerning things such as alcohol. Some of the "blue" laws concerning alcohol are quaint and illogical.

#81782 - 01/27/08 12:03 PM Re: Sangría banned in Virginia (USA)
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
they have wet counties and dry counties even within States.wet you can have alcohol and dry you dont. puritans laws, need to move up with the modern world.
Sangria, for crying outloud this is another crazy law,where is the country going to???

#81783 - 01/27/08 01:46 PM Re: Sangría banned in Virginia (USA)
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
This isn't a question of where our country is going to. I really don't want to ponder that. It's more a matter of where it's coming from.

Artifacts from our puritanical past still haunt us. The most amazing thing here is how these old laws can remain unchallenged for so long.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, the direction that we are heading is much more insidious than our puritanical past. Ethics anyone? Not here.

#81784 - 03/22/08 07:14 PM Re: Sangría banned in Virginia (USA)
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I lived in Virginia in high school and college. My father being Spanish, we had sangria quite often. I knew there was a reason I moved away from there smile

Oddly enough, it is a state that still has a fair number of "moonshine" stills in the rural hill country. I have a friend who worked for the US Geological Survey there. They had a map of were the stills were, just so they would know where to stay away from when they were doing mapping. Wasn't worth getting shot at.

#81785 - 03/23/08 09:06 AM Re: Sangría banned in Virginia (USA)
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
You can probably still buy bottled Sangria (Yago?) at Central Liquors in the District. But IMHO, bottled Sangria is just for the uneducated (i.e., people who don't know how to mix their own).

All you need is some cheap red table wine, fruit and 'gaseosa' (7-up, or Collins-mix). The wine and fruit should 'stand' several hours; then if you like, you can 'spike' the mix with Brandy or some other hard liquor.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments