Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#81707 - 04/25/07 10:55 AM Visiting USA for first time
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
Hi!
I am planning a 2 weeks holiday in the USA.
Any suggestions for a first visit. What cities should I choose?

#81708 - 04/25/07 12:10 PM Re: Visiting USA for first time
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Valenciano,

What kind of things do you want to see? As far as nature and the outdoors, Denver or the U.P. of Michigan are hard to beat. As far as large cities, I don't know anything about N.Y. but Chicago would fill the ticket. Or if you want to have a lot of fun, Orlando Florida.

#81709 - 04/25/07 01:07 PM Re: Visiting USA for first time
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
New York City is the captial of the world. See New York City first, then visit one of the others like Los Angeles California, Miami Florida or San Francisco California. You could a Las Vegas if you are really into that.

With only two weeks you can visit only two cities.

But if you really want to see something, you will never see or beable to compare to in Spain, visit the Grand Canyon .

Bill

#81710 - 04/25/07 01:32 PM Re: Visiting USA for first time
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Damian,

2 key questions -

What time of the year are you planning to take your holiday? That can have a huge impact on where you decide to go in the US.

What are your interests - do you like beaches or mountains - art and museums or sports events - cities or smaller towns, etc.

Give us a bit of an idea and I'm sure you will plenty of suggestions.

#81711 - 04/25/07 04:43 PM Re: Visiting USA for first time
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
I know that the USA is an enormous country with lots of different landscapes, climates and cities. Two weeks is nothing for such an interesting country, but money is the problem and I have to choose the most impresive things for a Spaniard.

My main interests are nature and culture, so here New York comes first in the list. For nature, I was thinking about Niagara Falls, the Great Lakes or the Grand Canyon.

What could I do in the USA with 2500 euros? How many days I could stay there?

#81712 - 04/25/07 05:18 PM Re: Visiting USA for first time
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Valenciano,

Well camping in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, or even staying in a cabin is relatively cheap. Camping will cost you less than 15 Euros a night, except that you'd have to rent your gear. And a cabin would be less than $80 a night. You would be close to three of the Great Lakes.
Upstate New York would also be close to one of the Great Lakes too. Maybe that would be your best bet. Stay in N.Y. city for a week then visit upstate N.Y. I think N.Y. is expensive but Bill from N.Y.C. would know more. Sorry, never been to N.Y. City and really never want to visit, despite pressure from the wife.

#81713 - 04/25/07 06:46 PM Re: Visiting USA for first time
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
gazpacho wrote:
Quote:
Well camping in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Ahhh... that takes me back. I did that half a dozen times (camping in the U.P.) with my dad as I was growing up.

My significant other - who's Spanish - has travelled throughout the USA and always says the great Midwest is the best place to see "Real America" - and I'd have to agree. laugh

Aside from that, San Francisco, Redwood National Forest, Seattle, Yosemite Park, Colorado, New Mexico, Monument Valley (Navajo Country), Miami, and Appalachia are all good suggestions but you won't be able to see all that much in 2-weeks. It's a big, big country, don'tcha know. You might focus on the west coast or east coast - OR land in Los Angeles and spend 2 weeks driving Route 66 cross-country to the east. How much more Americana can one person experience? http://www.historic66.com/ (although after a few days you might be tired of Diner food. hehehe.. wink - IF that's possible)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#81714 - 04/25/07 07:19 PM Re: Visiting USA for first time
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I agree with MM and focus on one coast....NYC and environs like New England for the east coast...
But if you are coming to the west coast...Go to San Fransisco before you go to Los Angeles....I think S.F. has more to offer culturally, architecturally, and culinarily than L.A. There is also the Grand Canyon (as someone else suggested), Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, oh, and yes...Vegas, baby!

Your euros may go further on the east coast, only because you will save a ton on airfare...

#81715 - 04/26/07 08:02 AM Re: Visiting USA for first time
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

I think it is impossible to do the entire country justice in 2 weeks, unfortunately. I think you have to remind yourself that this will be your first trip to the United States. Then you can focus on one area and not feel badly about going to all of places on your wish list.

Being a New Yorker, I, of course, will suggest that you come to NY! And as Bill from NYC said going to upstate NY would be a good place to see the small towns and the gorgeous mountains-- The Adirondack Mountains and The Catskill Mountains and The Finger Lake region (the wine district of NY State) to tour some wineries, and even get to Niagra Falls Niagra Falls! If you want to see a cute little town that is the home of Baseball Baseball Hall of Fame , I would suggest Cooperstown ! It has a very American feel to it and it is in a very picturesque area...on a lake.

As for NYC...well, what can I say? It is an amazing place...filled with things to see and do!

In two weeks you could definitely do what I suggest.

#81716 - 04/26/07 11:08 AM Re: Visiting USA for first time
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Quote:
I think N.Y. is expensive but Bill from N.Y.C. would know more.
gazpacho is correct about New York City is expensive for those that live here. Since the euro is strong and the exchange rate is favorable to European visitors, it makes it a bargin.

I cannot go home from work almost everyday without bumping into a Europeans visitors carrying three or four shopping bags.

Bill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments