Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#81629 - 12/18/06 03:40 PM Paris
JoeSambuca Offline

Loc: New York City
Hi All:
Starting to plan my 2007 Euro Vacation and I was wondering if anyone had any good
suggestions / websites / ideas for affordable accomodation in Paris?
Hostels are great in spain is this also true in France?
Thanks in advance

#81630 - 12/19/06 09:42 PM Re: Paris
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Joe

For info on Paris try this website Slow Travel and do not forget the forum. You will find plenty from people living in Paris giving advice.

My last trip to Paris was over three years ago and it was my third trip. I could not give you a place to stay because frankly I do not know what they are like today.

My Advice is Paris is expensive, very expensive. To offset the cost I bought Paris Museum Pass. It was good for five days access to 70 museums. Best of all I did not have to wait in line, show the pass at the entrance, I am in. I could go back to the same museum as many times as I wished for the five days. I could go to the Louve and Orsay everyday I was in Paris and not wait in line or have to pay to enter.

Paris has a good subway system and you will need it to get to the sights, because they are all spread out. You will need a good Paris subway map. The one the Paris tourist office give out which was free, was way to small to read. There is a subway pass.

This is not to say not to walk in Paris and take the subway. Paris is a great walking city and has bridges that are works of art themselves. The only way to see this is to walk of the bridges and that goes for the streets too.

For a guide book pickup I recommend the Eyewitness Top 10 Paris guidebook from DK. It is small. Lists out all the important places a first time visitor to Paris should see. Has maps and even a good subway map.

Check with the Tourist Office about the Versailles if you go. They have the huge garden in the back that stretches the horizon where the sky meets the ground. The garden has these amazing looking statues. But if you go to Versailles make sure it is when the water fountains are actually working. It is mind blowing to see and the Tourist Office should tell you when or may someone on Slow Trav.

The Eiffel Tower has to be done twice. Once in the day and then again a night. Same steel tower but completely different experience. I have visited 10 times already.

Visit Montmartre on the weekend with a the street painters are working the tourists. Make sure you walk up and down the stairs, if you go you will know what I mean.

I think the best night time view has to be from Montparnasse. The building is not much to look at, but from the top it has the best night time views that is because the Eiffel Tower is in it.

Have fun. I certainly did when I was in Paris and lucky to done it three times. cloud9

Bill

#81631 - 12/20/06 10:00 PM Re: Paris
JoeSambuca Offline

Gracias Bill!
Lot of infor here, Will study in detail. I was actually in Paris before but looking back....I guess I wasn't so ..How shall I say...sober!

#81632 - 12/22/06 04:29 PM Re: Paris
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
yes I also recommend the slow travel site.
but being here will tell you
the subway is great and cheap; train take you out to nearby cities in a snap; Versailles is fantastic;but the waters are only in certain period because of water restrictions;nevertheless the castle is a must.
montmartre is fantastic and is also a must
if you like to go out be around Bastille:great happening area with many night bars with music.
I will avoid the towers too much beating; walk the streets walk and walk you will feel love is in the air. i could tell you many things but best to see the site i do recommendations with locals here
http://www.eng.cityvox.fr/guide_paris/CityHome
is in English and you can see it in Spanish too however the recomm are in French bien sur....

when in paris get yourself a city map at a tabac with street index and principals places to see. A tabac is like a media bookstore there are all over the city sometimes also call maison de la presse.
In paris we do not have hostels like in Madrid; so hotels are expensier but you can try the typical holiday inn kinds in French chains here
http://www.accorhotels.com/accorhotels/index.html

I hope it helps you. If you need specific after browsing through these sites let me know.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments