Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#81485 - 12/06/05 03:23 PM México
Pia Offline

Loc: Finland
I am now leaving in 3 weeks and as there are some Mexicans on this board I would like to ask you for any kind of advice. I will be living in Cuernavaca, about 1,5 hours South by car from Mexico City. I would be thankful for anything: recommendations on where to travel (mostly within the country but I'll try to make one trip to another country in the area, too), what too see, what to look out for and if you're familiar with differences between Mexican/Latin American and Spanish Spanish I'd love to get some of the most common examples (I already know I shouldn't "coger" stuff there like in Spain laugh ).

#81486 - 12/06/05 05:33 PM Re: México
Silvita Offline

Loc: Chicago
You can "coger" in Mexico. I don't know where that came from and although some people do use it for that meaning, the more common is "chingar," which means that and only that. "Coger" un taxi, "coger el metro" y said by everyone. No one will snicker.

You should definitely visit some coastal towns if you can. But Guadalajara, Guanajuato, Veracruz (very colonial though the beach leaves much to be desired), are some of the great sites.

And you cannot miss Mexico City, of course. You can spend days in el D.F. and not see all the sights. I recommend el Zocalo, the Diego Rivera murals at the Palacio Municipal, the Frida Kahlo house, Xochimilco (flower-decorated boats on the river), Plaza Garibaldi (for dinner with lots of roaming mariachis), the ruins at Teotihuacan, and don't be afraid of the street food. Just look for a clean stall and the food will be safe. Just stay away from iced drinks. Have a zucchini flower tlacoyo and you're all set. Also, make sure to stop in for strawberry atole at the Cafe La Blanca. And the Sanborn's branch up the street from el Zocalo, I think it's Calle Isabel La Catolica, is a lovely restaurant. Cafe Tacuba is also good and probably in every guidebook thanks to a ghost legend.

On the coast, I would opt for Huatulco or Puerto Vallarta. The Mexican Riviera is still grappling with hurricane issues.

As for precautions, Mexico City does have a bad rep, but if you take the same measures you would in New York City and you'll be fine.

#81487 - 12/07/05 02:00 AM Re: México
The_Keeper Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Hello Pia,

Where you most definitely shouldn't try to 'coger un autobus' or ask someone to "coger" something for you!!! eek :o is in Argentina!

Saludos,

PIM

Like Books? Check out www.bookcrossing.com

#81488 - 12/07/05 12:24 PM Re: México
fulano Offline

Loc: califas
Have a great time in Mexico Pia! In Mexico as in many places in the world if one shows respect for all no matter how humble and if you have a good sense of humor and irony, backed up with a hearty laugh, the world there will open up completely.
Also just a tip that might save you some time, when street vendors or others hawking goods approach you, and you don't wish to bargain or spend time, just look straight ahead and waggle your index finger in front of your face. You will be astonished how fast the sale's pitch will stop
and there is almost never any animosity from the vendor.
Also just my opinion, when you get tired of the bustle in "La Capital" get to "Zihuatenejo" which is a old seaport on the Pacific. It's neighbor is "Ixtapa" which is a touristy disco haven that you'll probably want to miss. "Zihua" is more funky but still a tourist spot. Go down to the old port when the sun is coming up over the jungles and mountains and rent a boat with captain to take you fishing for lunch and have him cook your catch on a secluded beach on one of the many beautiful islands which are close by.
Also while there get to "Barra de Potosi" which is about 30 to 50 kilometers down the coast and is a paradise on earth. You'll travel thru a jungle road alongside two massive lagoons which are formed by a river running out of the mountains, a veritable bird sancuary, to an incredible beach at the mouth of the last lagoon. There will be palapas with hammocks and lots of places where they serve seafood and beer, along with singing Mariachis (all very funky last time I was there a couple of years ago) The ocean and sandy beach is very beautiful there and there is a German Woman who runs a small BB or hotel in a coconut plantation on the beach.
Wow I may go myself after that recollection!
Buen Viaje!

#81489 - 12/07/05 01:11 PM Re: México
jabch Offline

Hi Pia:

As to the language there are many, many terms used in Spain that are not used in Mexico, mostly informal terms. Formal Spanish is pretty similar. There’s a long list of everyday terms from Spain not used in Mexico, but you will figure that out easily when people say “Que?”. So I better give you a list of slang from Mexico that you will hear a lot during your time in Mexico:

Onda: Also used in Mexico, but a little different. It is used a lot in phrases like "Que buena onda" meaning "that's great" or "que mala onda" that means "how bad" or just "que onda" that means "what's up".

Wey or Güey (pronounced like the English "way"): means "dude". It used to be a bad word, but now is heard everywhere and is used even by young women when talking to other young women. So you will hear a lot among young people the phrase "que onda wey" meaning "what's up dude". Safe to use it in almost every informal conversation with friends, not professors or formal scenarios.

Chido: means "cool". "eso esta chido" means "that's cool". Safe to use it almost in every informal situation.

Chingar: it is still a really bad word that is used a lot like "jo*er". So you have "deja de estar chingando" meaning "stop bothering". BTW in Mexico jo*er is not used a lot, but its variations like "ah! como jodes" or "deja de estar jodiendo" are used a lot. I recommend you don't use this word "chingar".

Pendejo: It means something like "stupid". You will hear "Estas bien pendejo" or "oye no seas pendejo" meaning "don't be such an idiot”. However in Mexico, unlike in South-America “pendejo” is still kind of a bad word, don't use it unless you believe someone to be a real stupid or jerk. Be careful when using this word as someone can be really offended if you call him/her a pendejo/a

Cabron: it means and is used the same way that in Spain, however, in Mexico we don't say it in such colloquial way. I mean we say it a lot, but I still feel that in Spain is more “accepted” in informal conversations. Only use it with friends, not at school or your friend’s parents’ house.

De-puta-madre: don't use it in Mexico. It doesn't sound as “good” as in Spain. We say a lot puta-madre when we are upset or overhelmeld by something or scared, but only in those situations. Better don’t use it.

Padre: In addition to its formal meaning of father, it is also used in “que padre!” to express excitement or to say something is really cool.. “Que padre que vas Mexico” meaning “how exciting or nice that you are going to Mexico” or in “esta padrisimo” meaning “that’s really cool or nice”. Use it everywhere anytime, but not on your school papers!

Gacho: means something like not being nice or being bad. So it is used in “eres bien gacho”. Also when you say “algo esta bien gacho” means that something is messed up. Use it as needed.

Neta or Neto: means truth… “la neta es que no me gusta” means “the thruth is I don’t like it. Very informal, but is not a bad word.

Bueno: When we answer the phone we say “bueno”, but you can also say “diga”.

Pedo: In addition to mean gas, it is also used like “que pedo” meaning “que pasa”. So you hear “que pedo con Juan porque esta enojado?” meaning “what’s up with Juan why is he upset?”. This term is very very informal. It is not a bad word but is not proper for more formal situations.

Naco: This terms is used a lot and is hard to define. It refers to someone or soothing that is tacky. Someone that is “naco” does not have to be poor or rich just has bad taste or conducts himself in a very distasteful way. For example someone that owns a purple BMW and dresses in purple suits and belives he is really cool is probably a naco. But you don’t have to be a naco to do naco things “nacadas” So when you are not behaving properly your young friends might tell you “no seas naco wey, don’t do that.” This term is now used widely it is very informal, but is not a bad word.

Güero(a) Means blond or light hair. But it is very informal, say rubio in more formal settings.

As to food:

Torta is not cake but a type of French bread stuffed with ham, cheese or whatever you want.

Tacos: you will love them. There are many types. My favorites “Al pastor” or “tropo” (they are the same). They are like the greek gyros but made of pork instead of lamb.

Mole: Can be really spicy so ask how “picante” it is.

Chiles en Nogada: you have to try them. Most foreigners don’t know them. Don’t eat the seeds or vein of the pepper. Don’t ask for chiles rellenos and “chiles en Nogada” are different, at least for me!

Tamales: There are many types, both in general you have those from central and northern Mexico wraped in corn leaves and those from southern Mexico wrapped in banana tree leave. Those from the south are my favorite.

Enchiladas: Try enchiladas suizas. I love them

Sopa Azteca or de tortilla: mmmm!

You know there’s almost a traditional dish per state and we have 32 states so there’s plenty of food to try. Unfurtunatelly, street stands sell pretty much the same, tortas and tacos. So once in a while you should adventure into a form dinner in a Mexican restaurant it can be a little expensive, but worth it.

As to places I really like central Mexico, but I also like the south. The north is fine but not my favorite. If you can go to Guanajuato, Taxco, Oaxaca, Queretaro, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico City, Puebla, Guadalajara...you won’t regret it. Cancun is really pretty, but Americanized. Acapulco is where Mexico City people go to have fun over the weekends and Puerto Vallarta is more of or used to be more of a real Mexican town next to the beach. The beach is not really pretty there, but the town is got some charm.

Everyday stuff:

Sanborns and Vip’s are very similar restaurants they actually compete and are everywhere. They are not the cheapest, but not expensive at all.

Since I think you are a woman, be ready for unclean bathrooms everywhere. I hate it. It is almost imposible to find a clean public bathroom. Don’t worry your school bathrooms will be fine. I am talking about places like gas or bus stations.

BTW the interstate bus system in Mexico is good so travel by bus

Taxis - if it is already dark better call a taxi from home (a radio-taxi) or wherever you are at. They are a little more expensive, but the company that sends the taxi knows the driver and has a record on him.

The local bus system in my town is pretty good, but I don’t know about Cuernavaca it is different in every city as it is managed by the municipality. So in some cities riding the bus is nice and comfortable, but I suspect that in most cities buses are always packed and are not in the best shape. Local buses in Mexico, as bad as it sounds, are mostly for the poor. So you go figure. Howevever, they are not as bad as you might think.

People stare a lot at foreigners and if you are a skinny blond guys will be very attracted to you. Just enjoy people interst interst in you. If you want to be alone just say so and guys won't insist on talkint to you. I thought Mexican guys where very forward, but I've heard there's much worse places in that regard, like Italy. So just say "dejame sola porfavor" if that doesn't word tell the waiter and I am sure the will kick the guy out.

Oh I almost forget to mention that now there is a small bust station at the Mexico City international airport. So you don't need to take a taxi to the bust station to go to cuernavaca. Just as for the "estacion de autobuses del aeropuerto" and then take a bus from there. The buses are really good...brand new volvos, tv, snacks, bathroom, coffe, great leg-room, etc., etc.

Ok. I think this is enough info for now. If you have any questions just let me know. And if one day you have any trouble in Mexico or need something just send me an email. If you like to visit Queretaro and the sorrounding areas, like Sn Miguel de Allende and Tequisquiapan I am sure any of my relatives my let you stay in their house. I also have family in Veracruz.

Take care.

#81490 - 12/07/05 01:34 PM Re: México
Pia Offline

Wow, thank you so much all of you. I'll write everything down, I'm planning on taking just a few courses in order to be able to travel and do some more volunteering, so I'm sure I'll be able to visit at least most places during my 6 months. It's not that I'd be really sad to miss Finnish winter either, now it's "only" -4c and windy but when we start getting near -20 I'm off! cool

I'm sure I'll have more questions during the next few weeks and if you come to think of anything, please let me know!

#81491 - 01/17/06 08:17 PM Re: México
Pia Offline

This is my third week and I really love it. I´m learning a lot and as I am studying with really rich people and volunteering with poor kids I get to see a little of both worlds, both of which are pretty far from what I come from so I am kind of experiencing two different foreign cultures at once.

I have already visited Acapulco, which I didn´t like; Pie de la Cuesta near Acapulco which was heaven on earth; Mexico City and the lovely town of Taxco. We are planning trips to Oaxaca, Puerto Escondido and Puebla and a big one through Yucatán for spring break and another through Chiapas to Guatemala after our final exams, and when my boyfriend comes, we´ll be going to Zihuatanejo as recommended by fulano and definitely visiting Barra de Potosí. I also would like to go to Queretaro. Ok, I´d like to go everywhere smile

I absolutely love the food and people are really nice and although I do get some annoying extra attention, I find it was worse in Spain. I guess they´re used to their "gringas" here.

What I don´t like is that universities have really strict mandatory attendance, the obvious division between social classes and then the bathrooms, especially as some people throw the toilet paper in the garbage smile

Now I have to finish my tareas and tomorrow I´ll be going back to Mexico City to vote in our presidential elections so I´m going home but I´ll write once in a while and tell you how I´m doing - I´m keeping my thumbs up that I´ll like it this much until the end and that I´m not just experiencing some honeymoon phase smile

#81492 - 01/18/06 12:46 PM Re: México
jabch Offline

Hi Pia: I am glad you are enjoying your time in Mexico. And yes there's too many places to go in Mexico. Acapulco is nice, but is mostly a Disco's town for people from Mexico City. I have great memories of Acapulco, mostly having fun with my highschool friends.

I am not sure about Zihuatanejo. I was there long time ago and didn't really like it. If you and your boyfriend are looking for a time to relax you may also consider Huatulco (nice beach) or Puerto Vallarta (nice town). Or you may even adventure to the north and go see the Coper Canyon (Creel) by train, it leaves from Chihuhua City.

If you go to Queretaro, make sure you visit San Miguel de Allende, small but very bohemian and full of art shops. San Miguel is just 30 minutes from Queretaro. A weekend is more than enough to see both. http://www.venaqueretaro.com/

The Aqueduct in the City of Querétaro.

Featuring 74 cantera stone arches reaching a maximum height of 23 meters (75 feet). It is 1,280 meters (0.8 miles) long. Its construction began arounf 1727. It was built by "El Marques de la Villa y del Villar." The unofficial story is that the Marquis (born in the Basque Country in 1860) was in love with a young nun and he ordered the aqueduct to be built so the nuns could have clean water at their convent... I don't really belive this story, but it's very romantic.

Also, a friend just came back from a town called "Catemaco" in the State of Veracruz, he highly recommends it.

Don't miss the southern part of Mexico, but if you think social classes are very apart in central Mexico, wait until you see the south. No long ago the south was just, the "hacendados" (Mostly descendants of Spaniards that owned big fancy houses next to their immense agricultural lands) and the native people that worked for them. It has changed a lot. You will love Oaxaca, that's the town with the strongest native influence on a colonial-times city.

#81493 - 01/30/06 07:44 PM Re: México
Pia Offline

Thanks again jabch, I will definitely go to Queretaro, maybe during my boyfriend's first days here - I will try to be here as little as possible as people here don't really appreaciate him coming over as we're not married smile

For Semana santa we have planned a trip to Campeche - Mérida - Tulúm - Isla Mujeres and we might add Palenque if we have time, otherwise we're leaving it for the summer. Any suggestions there? I'm really looking forward to the Yucatán and Chiapas, as long as I don't have to go to Cancún and places like that.

#81494 - 01/30/06 09:00 PM Re: México
fulano Offline

Loc: califas
Hey Pia, glad to hear your having a ball, if I may make a couple of suggestions. Merida is a beautiful and surprising city that I'm sure you will enjoy. The old Cathedral next to the central plaza is very old and very interesting, don't miss it.
On the road from Merida to the port of Progresso (35 kilometers) there is a fantasic area of Mayan ruins (can't remember the name but is very popular) that you should take the time to see. Don't get hustled by the "guides" at the entry, just get the brochures and do a self guided tour no matter how these guides try to insult you!
If it was me I would skip "Isla Mujeres" and opt for the island of "Cozumel". When you get there rent a car or open air "thing" and get the hell out of the main city as it's just a repeat of every tourist area in Mexico with the tired old "Carlos O'briens," Senor Frogs", drunk and obnoxious loud Americans etc;, etc;, etc;.

Drive away from town and go to the Palancar Reef Gov't operated beach (I forget the name but you can't miss it (something like "Chankanar"). It has incredible "snorkeling" and you won't want to get out of the water, I promise! You can rent all the scuba or snorkeling equipt there and they also sell beer,food, and have chairs under the palms in the shade, beautiful!
Then drive about 20-25 kilometers further on until you come to the point where there is a place that's called "Bob Marleys".(open air, grass roof) It's almost deserted here and they sell beer and great food and the ocean is incredible here (waves and great beachcombing) I have known the owner for many years since he was a child and everyone is friendly and fun. Kick it here for a few hours listening to Regaae music, drinking a few beers and sleeping in one of the many "hammocks" on the beach.
Travel on down this windward side of the island and there are a number of small places to eat or have a beer (very funky!) Many lonely deserted beautiful beaches here. Veeery Romantic! de tu gusto!
Have a ball!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments