MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#81402 - 05/31/07 01:26 PM Re: Argentina
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I am a happy camper today, booked my flight for my second trip to Buenos Aires in late October of this year. cloud9

Bill

#81403 - 05/31/07 03:35 PM Re: Argentina
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

hey Bill, I am so happy for you! smile Where are you going to go in Argentina? You should try to get out of BsAs this time, so you can get to know the country a bit more. The provinces are very different. If you need some suggestions, just let me know.

I am leaving for Argentina at the end of June and I will be there for 2 months! I am thrilled to be returning. :hdspin:

#81404 - 06/07/07 01:49 PM Re: Argentina
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

esperanza

I am happy for your two months trip too! cloud9

Also there is some Argentina events taking place in our home town happening at the El Museo del Barrio .

There is one on Los Desparecidos and on June 14 is Tango at the museo too! laugh

Bill

#81405 - 06/19/07 10:22 PM Re: Argentina
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Some Reviews from my vacation in Buenos Aires during late October '06 . Just in case someone else is going, hope it helps.

Bill

The B&B I stay at in Buenos Aires was Posada Palermo .

I stayed at this lovely B&B for thirteen nights in late October – November 2006. I originally booked the single room for my stay at Posada Palermo but the owner permitted me to stay in two other rooms which happen to be double rooms. There are only four rooms at this B&B. So I can say I have slept in three of the four rooms of this B&B. I doubt very much you will find anyone that can say that.

I found the rooms and bathrooms were spotless. The beds were firm; plenty of pillows and falling asleep was not a problem for me. All the rooms had a TV, a radio, a phone to dial outside numbers and WIFI access for my laptop. One of the rooms I stayed in had a large window facing the street and at night the room was quiet. This is because the area where the B&B is located is quite at night. Each room is decorated in its own style, from the furniture to even the walls, which are full of paintings and posters. The day I arrived at Posada Palermo, my first impressions when I first entered was that I was in someone’s home. This is true, because the owner lives upstairs; this B&B is her home.

There is morning breakfast and then there is breakfast served the Posada Palermo way.

Everyone sits at one large table and usually being the first one up in the morning; I found the breakfast table richly decorated with fresh rolls, jams, cereals, fruits and homemade yogurt. But there is more. I was served a thin toast with cheese and ham which I love to have because it was very tasty and light to eat. Then there were the sweet fresh pastries. Since I was there for almost two weeks I can say the pastries were not the same ones each day. There is tea, orange juice, matte and plenty of hot coffee. The word “light breakfast” is not found at this B&B, because when breakfast is this enjoyable it is hard to stop. I just could not have one bite of something and I notice this in the other guests too!

I never had the chance to visit a café in Buenos Aires for morning coffee. There was no reason, I had Posada Palermo. One early morning I visited La Boca to shoot photos before the tourist arrived. I finished around 9:30 found a Radio Taxi to take me back to Posada Palermo for my breakfast.

Each morning I was made to feel at home from Viviana the owner of Posada Palermo and Alejandro who helps her run it. It was a pleasure each morning to sit at breakfast table with Viviana and Alejandro to talk about what I did in Buenos Aires the day before or talk with the other guests at the B&B what they did or what their plans for the day were. Some morning discussions were about our lives back home. I meet people from Utah, Madrid and even my home town New York City. Some mornings it was Alejandro and me talking about our lives and sharing some matte. Viviana and Alejandro was extremely helpful giving me advice each morning doing things in Buenos Aires.

The neighbor where Posada Palermo is located is a residential area of Palermo, were you will see plenty of Portenos everyday. There are an abundance of local stores, cafes and restaurants to visit and 10 to 15 minutes walk to the nearest train station, Bulnes on the D subway line. Also at the Bulnes station is the shopping mall Alto Palermo. Hip looking stores are found inside and it where I bought some inexpensive jewelry to give as gifts back home. On the top floor there is a Freddo where I had its famous ice cream.

One street in particular near the B&B is Charcas I really enjoyed walking and it was two blocks. On one side of Charcas street almost every block is lined with small outdoor cafes, restaurants and even an ice cream shop. There was outdoor seating at almost all the places that served food. It seemed to me walking through this street it was very popular with the Portenos.

I would stay here again, because I found it Viviana and Alejandro to be warm and friendly and a morning breakfast I did not want to miss. clap

This place I had dinner is very special and for me a most do for anyone visiting Buenos Aires, dinner at Casa Saltshaker .

Casa Saltshaker is not a restaurant or is located where the public can go to eat anytime they wish. It is unique place to have a unique dinner in Buenos Aires. I had dinner here because I was interested in that unique dinner experience and I certainly found it.

Casa Saltshaker is located in an apartment. There is a website for Casa SaltShaker, where you can find the menus and the nights, usually Friday and Saturday for dinners.

The starter I was served Salmon and Daikon Sashimi with Rosehip Liqueur. The second course was Barley and Roast Beef Risotto.

Then main course was Pork Loin in a sauce of Gin and Olives served with Capers Camembert Salad with a caramel liqueur and mustard vinaigrette.

Dessert was warm chocolate noodles with red fruits marinated in Orange and Honey Liqueurs. Just reading what I had for dessert again makes me hungry and it was delicious dessert to have.

Also, during dinner, I was served two wines- a red and white that were excellent. After dinner, I was served an orange liqueur, Tapaus, that was that exceptional. As I was slowly drinking this liqueur, I decided I was going to buy some and brought two bottles of Tapaus back home with me.

I should mention besides the excellent dinner there is another aspect that adds to the unique experience at Casa Saltshaker. I sat down to dinner with five other dinner guests who were strangers to me. We had lively discussions about Buenos Aires and our lives back home.

For me, when I have excellent food cooked with care by the chief Dan Perlman, drinking wine for the first time and finding them wonderful and sitting down to dinner with interesting people to talk to, dinner is always going to be memorable experience and it certainly was at Casa Saltshaker.

Recently Casa Saltshaker was reviewed in New York Times and the reviewer mentioned something about that Casa Saltshaker is for insiders when in Buenos Aires. I did not even know I was one before the New York Times pointed it out.

Is it a one of a kind dinner experience for anyone who is in Buenos Aires. cloud9

#81406 - 06/20/07 12:52 PM Re: Argentina
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

I loved reading your thoughts, Bill. Funny thing is that we also stayed the the Posada Palermo B& B in Bs As. We stayed as a family of 4 there taking two of their rooms. I agree totally with you, Bill; the owner and manager as well as the housekeeping staff are all lovely. Also the area is great. I would recommend it highly.

I have also stayed at the Golden Tulip Savoy Hotel which is also good if you prefer a hotel (ie. Anonymity)as we did during one weekend in BsAs.

I am happy to read about your experience at the Salt Shaker restaurant!! I have been reading his blog for the last few months and I find it intriguing. I was even thinking of seeing if we could have a private party there in August with my cousins. I would love to invite them to dinner, and this seems like a fun option.

I will try your two restaurant suggestions while we are there this time too. We are leaving next week...I cannot wait to have the steak and Malbec! :jump:

#81407 - 08/01/07 02:46 AM Re: Argentina
Pia Offline

Loc: Finland
I seem to be following Bill and esperanza: I came back from New York in June and will be going to Argentina for 3 months starting late September! I'll be living in Córdoba, anyone been there?

#81408 - 08/03/07 03:38 PM Re: Argentina
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Cordoba is a very nice place to be for a few months! You will really enjoy it. As you probably know it is a University city, so there is a lot of atmosphere. There is a good mall (commercial center) and a beautiful park. I went for a long weekend to Cordoba 2 years ago and one of the first things we did was to take a city bus tour which you can get right by the cathedral. It was a great way to get oriented. On the weekends there is a great street fair that is a lot of fun. The surrounding area of Cordoba will be great for weekend trips into the mountains (las sierras) and the town of General Belgrano is famous for its´ German fest in the October, so you will definitely have to go there. The town of Carlos Paz is also really nice. It is very quaint and there is a teleferico that goes up the mountain to get a spectacular view.

All in all, I think you will have a fabulous time in Cordoba. Argentina is a special place, so I know you will have fun!

#81409 - 10/24/07 11:14 AM Re: Argentina
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

To keep this two year old Argentina thread going and it has to be second most popular country on this message board, I posting this message.

Tommorow I fly out of New York City to visit Buenos Aires for two weeks again. cloud9

Until the exchange rate dollar/eur improves it going to be a while until I visit Spain/Portugal.

I do miss visitng these two countries. frown

Bill

#81410 - 10/24/07 12:24 PM Re: Argentina
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Bill, I AM SO JEALOUS! I wish I were going too! Are you just going to BsAs or are you going to travel around at all? I hope you are able to get out to the provinces...it is a different world and one worth exploring. (especially with a camera!!)

I will be thinking of you: drinking good Malbec, eating scrumptious steaks and empanadas and enjoying dulce de leche and medialunas. If you are staying at Posada Palermo again, enjoy.

Buen viaje. I cannot wait to hear all about it. If you are into good cafes, try Las Violetas . I know you will like it!.

#81411 - 10/24/07 12:59 PM Re: Argentina
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Esperanza

Long time no hear from you.

I will be ariving in BA Friday morning and starting my trip with something special.

For lunch that Friday I am going La Cabrera for steak and Malbec. I fiqure since I going to have bad or ok airline food why not to the other extreme. Have a wonderful Argentina steak and wine at one the best places in Buenos Aires to have it.

Also Sunday is election day in Argentina so hopefully I will be photographing election day.

I going horse back riding again same estancia and dinner at Casa Saltshaker. They remember me and that was only one visit. smile

I could not get a room at Posada Palermo so I will be staying some where else and will post a review here.

Since I made friends in BA on my last visit, I have a few dinners for the night with a few Portenos.

But next year my plans is to visit the Northern region of the country and I will visit Las Violetas.

Bill

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments