Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#80904 - 10/07/03 09:24 AM Classroom performance rubric
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
I need a rubric for evaluation of daily classroom particpation and performance.

It would not be used to evaluate one specific performance, but instead is needed so that I might give a "participation grade" at the end of each quarter or at the end of each week if requested by the administration.

I have the writing rubric that is used by NYS.

Please help me, I am in a pinch and need a rubric quickly. I am starting to compose one, but could/would benefit by a rubric that has been "tested tough" and has been used successfully.

Please post your rubric on this site for me and for anyone else who could use it.

GRACIAS.

PS: will anyone from this forum be at the NYSAFLT conference in Rochester, NY, October 10 - 13?

#80905 - 10/07/03 08:39 PM Re: Classroom performance rubric
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
A rubric sounds as though you are planning on sitting yourself down to grade students on participation "on the fly"....while class is going on. I have never been able to do such a thing! A colleague,however, used to make up index cards with student names on them, shuffle them up, then draw names. The student knew the answer, didn't know it, or knocked your socks off. Then you tally up the +/- grades to see how well the student participated.

Don't get yourself in over your head. If you won't be able to manage a rubric daily with everyone, there's no point in doing it. And adding another rubric to your life can be pretty time consuming.

#80906 - 10/08/03 01:02 AM Re: Classroom performance rubric
nevado Offline

Here's a link to tons of premade rubrics, perhaps one will fit the bill:
http://teach-nology.com/web_tools/rubrics/

For participation, I've been doing the same thing for years; I use a seating chart on a clipboard and simply mark a tick when the student participates, comes prepared, or is on task. If the student is off task, I put a dot. After two or three weeks, I simply give them a score based on the ticks and subtract the dots to come up with a grade. (I give grades from 50%-100%)

#80907 - 10/08/03 08:31 AM Re: Classroom performance rubric
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
Nevado, TÚ ERES MI SALVADOR.

The link you provided has generated an awesome rubric that evaluates: attendence/promptness, level of engagement, listening skills, BEHAVIOR (boy did I always want this to be rated) and preparation.

I have been told by my administrators that I must evaluate the classroom performance. The rubric that I was writing is going in the trash can now. What you have provided me with is perfection. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Sofia, the sad little Spanish teacher from the lovely Finger Lakes of NY (sad because work is work, and it is difficult).

#80908 - 10/09/03 01:02 AM Re: Classroom performance rubric
nevado Offline

cool, glad I could help!

MM- see, you're teacher talk IS valuable to us (we just work so much we can't take full advantage of it)! smile

By the way...to the contributer of the verbix site- my students love it! Thanks.

#80909 - 10/09/03 06:27 PM Re: Classroom performance rubric
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
laugh This is great to see. And to think it only took a poke with a stick to get it going again. hehehe.. wink

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#80910 - 10/22/03 02:24 AM Re: Classroom performance rubric
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I do the tick/dot thing, too. I'm amazed that after two months, though, students are still not bringing their texts to class.

I'm considering daily book checks from here until the end of the quarter and failing them if the book check % is less than 85-90. We have a "diligence" grade built into the overall, but it's only worth 10% of the overall...

Anyone have a good/bad experience with this sort of thing? This just seems to be the worst year as far as "coming to class ready".

#80911 - 10/22/03 01:18 PM Re: Classroom performance rubric
liatris Offline

Loc: Glenoma WA USA
I, too, suffered from unprepared students who needed another trip (on MY time) to the locker to get book, pen, assignment.....so I established a policy wherein unprepared students are marked tardy.....understanding that 4 tardies in my classroom earns an afterschool detention. After all, being prepared for work is a life skill. This system isn't perfect, but at least I feel that I have a tool to work with other than "Oh no! Not again." Remembering materials for class HAS improved immensely.

#80912 - 10/22/03 01:20 PM Re: Classroom performance rubric
nevado Offline

CaliBasco,
I do something similar I call "supply check." The students must have their text and their bellwork notebooks in class daily. I do random supply checks and it's credit/no credit (you have them or you don't)! smile I have the first guilty student I come across roll a die to determine the weight of the supply check (1-6 points). I count participation for 20% of the grade and coming to class prepared falls under that category. In reality, it doesn't count for much but usually parents take care of the problem after seeing a zero on the student's grade report!
Also, this way you don't have to do it daily if you don't feel like it.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments