Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#80819 - 01/26/03 01:21 PM Madrid: English teaching certificates?
Polete Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Hi there.
I want to teach english in Madrid but I don't know what is the best english teachers certificate to get (ESL, TEFL etc etc). Could someone please suggest one and if possible provide your experience at teaching in Madrid

Muchas gracias

#80820 - 01/28/03 03:26 AM Re: Madrid: English teaching certificates?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi Polete --

ESL stands for English as a Second Language and is not a teacher certificate, rather a general classification of teaching English to non-native speakers.

TEFL and CELTA are the two basic teaching certificates that you can get. The TEFL is American based and the CELTA is British based. Either certificate is broadly recognized here in Spain although Bristish academies and institutions lean more toward professors with the CELTA.

I have posted extensively on the English teaching scene here in Spain, try doing a board search. I have copied part of a previous post for your benefit:

Quote:
As an English teacher here in Madrid, I agree with SRedw in that having certification is a good thing, particularly when you may be lacking in real life experience, however, it is not the only thing that will land you the top paying jobs.
I have landed some excellent corporate teaching positions paying extremely well for the market although I donīt have certification. I do have over 10 years of professional experience in corporate America, a training background , bilingual (extremely helpful if you are teaching elementary learners), and an advanced degree in Education. A corporate background and the ability to interface at all levels of the corporate ladder are also great attributes to have, even if you donīt have the certification.

However, remember, teaching (a language) is challenging work. Be prepared to explain the idiosyncrasies of the English language, have a firm grasp on the grammar rules. If you are lacking the professional experience, by all means get the certification. Just because you can take a picture, doesnīt mean you are a photographer. Just because you speak English natively doesnīt mean that you are automatically a teacher.

With regards to finding teaching jobs, I have gotten all of my jobs through the internet....specifically at infojobs.net. While most jobs are still advertised in papers, there is such a demand that I have more than I can handle through the internet. Apart from the private academies, donīt forget to look at the consulting agencies (consultores) that subcontract English teachers for their corporate clients. However, be prepared for a quick turn around. I have had interviews on one day and found myself with the teaching job the next (and signing the contract an hour before the class). It has happened to me twice so far.

If you are serious about teaching English for a long term job here (not a 3 week stint to pay your trip through Europe), both Academies and consulting agencies will consider you more seriously.

Do take into consideration your interest and ability in teaching adults and children. The teaching techniques are not the same and each present its own set of challenges.

#80821 - 01/28/03 11:50 PM Re: Madrid: English teaching certificates?
Polete Offline

Hola Chica

Thanks for your help. I am going to get the certificate. I want to work in Madrid if possible and I have experience teaching strategic planning in India as I'm an urban planner. But I am Canadian without a work permit so what do you think the opportunities are like for someone like myself?

Thanks again

#80822 - 01/29/03 05:57 AM Re: Madrid: English teaching certificates?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi Polete --

Your opportunities are hit and miss here. As professional teacher who pays my 200€ a month for social security and am registered under the "regimen autónomo" (freelance/self employed), Iīd be remiss if I didnīt say that it infuriates me the lack of seriousness that is given this profession. Companies and schools, looking for the easy way out in hiring native speaking teachers know that there are a wealth of "illegal" native speakers here who are willing to teach. So, they simply hire them illegally. Meaning, no permanent contract is offered, but rather some sort of "agreement" between the two parties...and this agreement does not hold water in court should the academy or company decide to stop paying you. Unfortunately, that has happened all too frequently recently here in Spain with the closure of Opening English, Brighton English Schools and Oxford English leaving thousands of students and teachers in the lurch.

But this is a long response to what should be a simple answer for you. If you are "selling", they are buying. Meaning that many companies hire while turning their backs on your legal status. There are some places that do demand legal status and working papers, but others that just donīt care. All they want is a native speaker (first), teacher (second) to be able to throw a warm body into a corporate classroom.

Apart from the academies and consulting agencies, your other option is to post signs (cartelitos) with your name and number and offer freelance classes that way....directly to individuals. Or take an ad out in a newspaper such as Segundamano announcing your services.

I also recommend that you check out Expatriate Cafe which is a website dedicated to teaching English in Spain. I am certain you will find the information there very helpful.

Good luck with your endeavors!

#80823 - 01/29/03 04:52 PM Re: Madrid: English teaching certificates?
Polete Offline

Hola Chica,

Well I dont want to work illegally. I am thinking about the ITC course but not sure if I want to wait that long to begin a course in Spain. My girlfriend es de Madrid and I am trying to get there somehow. For now this seems like a viable option for me. Why can't we just live where we want:) But I appreciate your help and I enjoy reading your lengthy posts.

Hasta Luego

Polete

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 754 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments