Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#80711 - 04/24/06 09:53 AM The World Cup
The_Keeper Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
OK Guys and girls, just over a month to the world’s most popular sporting event and I want to know how you think things will go.

As usual Brazil are favourites and surprisingly England are second favourites.

Personally I hope England win (Three Lions on the Shirt and all that) but I think Spain are a good outside bet. I don’t know what the odds are but if I was a betting man, I should imagine you would get at least 10-1 for Spain to win and I reckon that would be worth a 20€ flutter. I base this on the phenomenal seasons had by Spanish players mainly in England. Fabrigas has had a great season, I don’t care that Rooney got Young Player of the Year, I think Fabrigas should have won that crown. Then there is Luis Garcia and Alonso at Liverpool, both quality players who are playing well. Casillas in goal, Puyoll in defense. And not forgetting El Niño up front.

Finally, completely un-scientifically, have you noticed the Spanish successes in sporting events over the last year, Nadal and Alonso. It always seems to go that when a country does well in one sport there seems to be a cluster of successes in a variety of sports.

For these reasons, I think it could be a good year for Spanish football.

It would be even better if Raul manages to injure himself before the squads are announced. IMO he cost Spain progression in the last European championships.

Like Books? Check out www.bookcrossing.com

#80712 - 04/24/06 12:14 PM Re: The World Cup
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
You may be right; Spain's got a couple of good wingers as well in Joaquin and Vicente. I wonder though, if they are lacking a top-class goalscorer now Morientes is seemingly no longer at his peak. Valeron too seems to have disappeared.
As for England being second favourites - this is with English bookmakers I take it? Whenever England have played decent opposition over the last few years (Portugal, France, Holland, Spain) they've ended up losing. The danger for England is now they're starting to lose too many defenders to injuries - Ledly King's got himself injured, Campbell has yet to prove he's back on top form (I fear he won't do so before June, but let's hope I'm wrong) and Ashley Cole hasn't played much lately. Fingers crossed that John Terry remains uninjured...

#80713 - 04/24/06 04:56 PM Re: The World Cup
Arturo Offline

Loc: New York, NY USA
I found a British Bookmaker site which has Brazil (11-4), Argentina (13-2) and England (7-1). They are followed by Germany and Italy at 8-1. Then comes the Netherlands (11-1), France (12-1) and Spain at 14-1.

#80714 - 04/25/06 02:32 AM Re: The World Cup
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
Spain are nearly always everyones dark horses. Can't see it this year much as I would like it.

England just aren't good enough. You need a world class keeper to win these tournaments and they don't have one. Furthermore with Owen struggling they really are weak up front and generally lack strength in depth. Add to that a negative manager who is leaving and I think they have no chance.

South American teams, and personally I rate Argentina more than Brazil as a team, find it harder in Europe.

Despite their poor current form, I think it will take a lot to put the Germans out at home and thats where my money would go. Hope I'm wrong though laugh

#80715 - 04/25/06 03:59 AM Re: The World Cup
The_Keeper Offline

Ahem Filbert. Whilst I agree that England have a habit of losing games they are expected to win I think I ought to bring up one or two factual inaccuracies in your post.

England has won their last four games. Only two games ago they beat Argentina 3-2, not mentioning victories against Poland, Uraguay and Austria.

France I agree lost 2-1. Potugal kind of... 2-2 lost on penalties, Holland no... 0-0 me thinks and Spain lost 1-0 buit the less said about that game the better (Rooney was a prat and unfortunately the game will be remembered for the treatment of some of the English players).

And Jamongris, I believe that for the first time in many years, England do have a world class keeper who is not renowned for momumentous blunders.

#80716 - 04/25/06 04:16 AM Re: The World Cup
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Inaccuracies? Out of the 4 I mentioned we lost 3 and drew 1. Ok, 1 inaccuracy. I do agree that we currently have a good track record against Argentina, but do you seriously believe this will continue if we come up against them again? England may get past their qualifying group, but I fear that a Brazil, Italy, France, Argentina, Holland or Spain will have enough nous to put us out. Still, if Owen does regain fitness we have a goalscorer's chance, and Rooney can always produce some magic. Vamos a ver...

#80717 - 04/25/06 06:54 PM Re: The World Cup
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
The Keeper states: "OK Guys and girls, just over a month to the world’s most popular sporting event and I want to know how you think things will go."

If you mean footie, who cares! the real event comes in June in Madrid, the Feria Del Libro! Do not miss it!!! It's fantastic!

#80718 - 04/27/06 05:18 AM Re: The World Cup
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
Well if your display name is anything to go by Keeper, you probably know more then me about this position.

I agree he's solid, watched him a couple of times recently v Man Utd and Arsenal and certainly no errors. World class though, no IMHO.

I also see another non Englishman is now favourite to replace Sven as manager. Anyone have any comments on this ?

#80719 - 04/27/06 07:41 AM Re: The World Cup
The_Keeper Offline

Scolari according to most commentators I have heard is the best qualified for the job so why not? I would've voted for Martin O'Neil but that would have been simply because he is the only nearly UK person available with any kind of track record that should bring him into consideration. Who else is there?
McClaren - hasn't done anything yet!
Allardyce - I like him as a person, but his speciality is taking foreigners at the end of their career and getting good service out of them for a year or two.
Curbishly - Took an poor to average nice London club and has managed to turn it into a poor to average nice London club.
Pearce - Don't make me laugh, the boy needs some experience first.

Thinking about it I think the last English manager to actually win the title (a minimum IMO or at least 2nd in the league) was Howard Wilkinson and even as a manic Leeds supporter, I don't believe he should get the job.

#80720 - 05/08/06 07:49 PM Re: The World Cup
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello boys.One month to go before the start of the Cup and as we all wait with anticipation the million dollar/euro question still lingers.Who,if anyone,will be able to knock off Brazil?Stay tuned.

In the meantime how about these matchups:

Sevilla vs Middlesboro for the UEFA Cup (this Wednesday)and......

Barcelona vs Arsenal for the UEFA Champions League(May 17)

It's Spain vs England on both and there will be a lot of passion in both countries for these matches.The Barcelona vs Arsenal match should be a dandy.

Enjoy!!! cool cool cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments