Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 27 28 >
Topic Options
#79580 - 08/31/05 03:39 PM Re: Who will help us!!
Chele60 Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, California
Bill ~ Actually, the kids have already been thought of. The refugees from the Superdome are, as I write this, being evacuated to the Houston Astrodome whose schedule has been cleared through December. Austin and Dallas have both stepped up to the plate to offer places for refugees to stay and to allow the children of refugees to enroll their children in schools in those areas. This is for "as long as it takes." As well, surrounding parrishes not as badly hit and whose schools are still functional have stated they will take the children of refugees as well.

As far as clothing is concerned, that is something the Red Cross does provide for. And that is just one charitable agency. There are other charities that also provide clothing. People can also donate clothing to their nearest thrift stores to help out.

Will the victims ultimately be forgotten? I'm certain they will be. That's just the unfortunate truth. What makes it off of the front page news is often forgotten just as quickly. However, I can remember seeing the destruction caused by Hurricane Andrew - even from 3,000 miles away. Not all of us forget, but it is sad that most do.

#79581 - 08/31/05 08:07 PM Re: Who will help us!!
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I am in Austin, and there are various shelters opened throughout the city. Most of the hotels are full of residesnt who fled the hurricane. Please lets pray for those affected. All of my extended family is from New Orleans, some were in the superdome, at this point they are all safe in hotels in Houston. My heart is breaking, New Orleans is such a special special city, so many memories there. Here in Austin, those who are here are being allowed to attend the local schools, as it looks like they wont reopen schools, at least in New Orleans for at least a couple months, if even that. Please lets not argue politics, thats not the point right now.

Kelly

#79582 - 09/01/05 12:41 AM Re: Who will help us!!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA

#79583 - 09/01/05 05:04 AM Re: Who will help us!!
The_Keeper Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Going back to the original post.

A couple of links to articles on the aid from various nations:

Regarding Venezuela:
http://www.forbes.com/---/afx2199612.html
A dozen or so others:
http://www.journaltimes.com/---/doc43165e0a13de8099133083.txt

Your patient and beloved neighbor to the North:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/---/Front

From the homeland of the 9/11 terrorists:
http://www.forbes.com/---/afx2199722.html

And from the UN, to whom our government can't be bothered to pay dues:
http://www.alertnet.org/---/N31102720.htm

All this from the first hit on a simple google...
Shall I continue?

Like Books? Check out www.bookcrossing.com

#79584 - 09/01/05 08:45 AM Re: Who will help us!!
TJGuy Offline

Loc: Florida
Yep, Chica was right! Took about three posts for her predication to come true.

#79585 - 09/01/05 08:55 AM Re: Who will help us!!
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I have talked to several friends and acquaintances about supporting the relief efforts. Some have expressed doubts about where their money goes and others have expressed concerns about whether or not the organizations are bonafide charities.

As a former fundraiser for a well known charity prior to my Spanish life, this are my recommendations:

• Before making any donation, make sure that the organization is a registered 501(c)(3) with the federal government. Don't be afraid to ask the charity for the registration information. If you are making a significant contribution ($250 or more) the charity is required by law to send you a letter acknowledging your contribution with the registration information and tax deduction information included.
  • "Restrict" your financial contribution or specify where the money is to be spent. For example, if you write a check, in the memo portion indicate that it is for the (Katrina) hurricane relief efforts.

Non-profit organizations' budgets are complicated There is the general operating budget and the designated (restricted/project) budget (among others). All non-profits need money to support the general operating (if it's a good non-profit, it will be efficiently run so that more of your money will go to help pay relief efforts rather than overhead). In the end, the money that you donate to a bonafide non-profit will be put to good use whether or not you decide to "designate" your contribution. However, if you are really concerned then by all means designate your gift. What is important is that the Gulf Coast is revitalized.
Lastly, I thought I'd share an interesting email that I received today with you all, it helps to put perspective on things. While we may not agree with what we see on the news, or how the government has handled issues (domestically and internationally) I think this email sums it up nicely:

Quote:
I commiserate with you all. I think good old Katrina was obstreperous... real baaaad. And yes a lot died.

However, hours before the hurricane came the mayor, the governor gave advance warning. Those goodtime lovers even celebrated hurricane parties, ignored the warnings.

Don't get me wrong a lot of innocent folks
didn't quite make it out. Some didn't have
transportation, Some didn't have enough gas, some just walked... many reasons to dwell on.

But lets set all the priorities now, make plans, write protocols, we have a lot of work to do including burying the dead, and putting the looters in jail.

Those who lost properties wil be compensated. Those who missed their Social security checks will eventually get them, retroactive. Things will come out even.

Remember, no matter how dark and stormy the night, the sun is sure to follow. Can't deny that, it's a fact.

Let's work. We have cities to rejuvenate. Let's put people to work. Get them employed. Pay them salaries, let them spend, let them re-live.

Can't you see a replay of what Roosevelt did after the great depression? God is good. He will turn our economy. I believe and have faith in the American technology and savvy.

I really do feel bad at the aftermath of Katrina
Maldita. But I will not let my moroseness revail over good future. Come on you can see better if you wipe the tears.

You can have faith, more faith, more faith but the book of James tells me that faith is not good if it's not backed by work.

I am confident, those lost cities will rise again
rejuvenated, strong and technically advanced.

God bless America.

#79586 - 09/01/05 09:42 AM Re: Who will help us!!
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
I've re-read my post and fail to see where I've wished ill on anyone...
My point was that as America is a rich country they probably don't need aid from elsewhere; if you did you can be sure that even us evil types in Europe would try to help.
After the recent floods in Germany, >Czech republic, Poland etc where people also died, I never saw anyone on any website or bb sneering that the Americans weren't offering to help. My reply to this thread was because I felt it was not worthy of yr great nation to sneer at countries who were not perceived to want to offer help in this case.
Not only am I grateful to the US to be able to contribute here on the internet and specifically on this board; I am also grateful for the contribution America has given to help mine and other countries remain free.
However I view aid etc not as something to be racked up as a debt, to be paid back later. I feel sad that one or two do feel this way. However, as someone else pointed out, this is probably not the best time to make political points so I'll take off my comments bout possible causes of global warming.

#79587 - 09/01/05 09:58 AM Re: Who will help us!!
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Quote:
I've re-read my post and fail to see where I've wished ill on anyone...
My point was that as America is a rich country they probably don't need aid from elsewhere; if you did you can be sure that even us evil types in Europe would try to help.
That right we do not need help! Americans spends over 25 billion dollars a year buying pet food. We have the money to help rebuild.

What I think and always think that the rest of the world should help out in places where the U.S. does not care about.

When the term "refugees" can be use to describe the plight of fellow Americans who do not have a home and a place to return to makes me sick and ashamed! We need help from the rest of the world to help the U.S. with it refugee problem?

What are we now a third world country that just happens to have the most rich, well of people in the world.

Bill

#79588 - 09/01/05 11:09 AM Re: Who will help us!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
It seems it has been a complete disaster (I hadn't readen a newspaper for days, save those on the Internet). I really hope everything begins to be solved in the next days and weeks. I'm very sorry for the victims frown

As for the topic, the thing is that the US have the resources to manage this disaster. I'm sure of it.

This summer we have had horrible fires in our countryside which resulted in 20 dead. Spain didn't asked for help because no matter how bad it was, it could be managed (well or worse) with our resources.

Portugal had also fires, but their resources were surpassed by the size of the fires, so they asked for help (France, Germany and Spain sent helicopters and planes to help put down the fires).

As an analogy, I think that the US will do just what needed, and that if your government needs help, they will ask for it, and other countries will help as needed.

There is a curious tendecy to isolationism in the US I must say... that leads to authocracy, to a close minded vision of World affairs and in the end, to nothing good.

Fernando

#79589 - 09/01/05 11:30 AM Re: Who will help us!!
jabch Offline

Page 2 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 27 28 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments