Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 27 28 >
Topic Options
#79610 - 09/02/05 06:23 PM Re: Who will help us!!
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Fernando,

To be honest, I haven't found any source of news here in the U.S. worth paying attention to. The entire media is so involved with bashing the current adminstration, that good news like the international effort to help the recent flood victims, would only distract from their efforts.

From what I've seen from what little news I do watch, mostly before I go to work, are people outside the Superdome of New Orleans, still without food and water and slowly being transported out of the area, and looters shooting at the rescuers. I would love to get more information than this, like to be shown a map of exactly where the devastation is, why vehicles can't get close to the place, why aren't Navy hoover craft being implemented, etc. but our lousy media just is infatuated with scenes of human misery and violence. A similar analogy could be drawn from the media's coverage of the Iraq War.

I'm very grateful for the international effort to help us, but this is the first I've heard of it. I just don't believe the media feels that it would be in their best interest, to show that the rest of the world can overlook it's utter hatred for the Bush administration during our national crisis. It would put egg on their faces to show that people of the rest of the world are willing to give up their petty squabbles with the U.S. during it's time of crisis. I'm afraid our rotten media sees this as another occaision to destroy someone, and intends to use this opportunity to their advantage. That's it in a nutshell.

#79611 - 09/02/05 07:22 PM Re: Who will help us!!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Some people talk about the problems, and some do something about it. My wife is a "doer."

Just like she did after 911, she became embroiled in raising money to help the victims of Katrina.

Over the last 48 hours, her little group at work has raised over $7 million dollars in disaster aid, and its all guaranteed, because it came from checking accounts and credit cards, not on empty promises.

They intend continuing their efforts throughout the entire holiday weekend, and keep right on going, as long as they can.

Yes... she's not part of the problem... she's part of the resolve.

Before we start turning this into a political volleyball, let's take a damned good look at how much each of us is actually doing to help these people in their time of need.

Like they say; "Put your money where your mouth is!"

That makes a hell of a lot of sense to me.

Wolf

#79612 - 09/02/05 08:48 PM Re: Who will help us!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Wolf wrote:
Quote:
Like they say; "Put your money where your mouth is!"
100% in agreement. This afternoon I too made my donation to http://www.RedCross.org . You can pay online through a secure server using any credit card. PLEASE give as much as you can. And you can printout a kind of donation voucher which is tax deductable. For anyone out there, like me, who is enormously stressed and emotion about this horrendous disaster, please donate directly. At the VERY least, you can feel as if you've done SOMETHING. And this effort, no matter how small will give you some peace of mind. It's a small part of what they need, it will go towards food, water, and personal attention which we all take for granted everyday.

Do SOMETHING! Do ANYTHING! JUST DO!

http://www.RedCross.org - http://www.RedCross.org

http://www.RedCross.org - http://www.RedCross.org

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#79613 - 09/03/05 01:04 AM Re: Who will help us!!
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Well said Chica.

#79614 - 09/03/05 07:13 AM Re: Who will help us!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Well people, I have just one more thing to say about this issue: I really admire the ability americans have to work shoulder by shoulder when things go wrong. Keep it helping and maintaining that spirit.

Just be sure that the rest of the world will lend you a hand or two when needed. smile

I hope that the people of New Orleans are rescued as soon as possible, and that the rebuilding doesn't take too long.

Fernando

#79615 - 09/03/05 08:13 AM Re: Who will help us!!
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Well put Fernando.

Events like this humble us and remind us that we live in one world.

For a Londoner's view and well-wishes on this event (and on other matters), and links to how people in the UK can help, please see here The Londonist

#79616 - 09/03/05 02:09 PM Re: Who will help us!!
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
As much as I enjoy this group, there are moments when it also sickens me! :o World events and catastrophies are easily turned into heated political arguements, flinging s#^% at each other and pointing fingers as if their opinions and ideologies were pearls of wisdom.

Should we view this as an "American tragedy" or simply as a tragedy? Likewise when disasters befall other countries do we view them as such or do we view it from a political slant first?
Personally, I don't view them from the latter. What good does it do? What help does it offer?

The only thing that matters is getting help to places that are in trouble. Unfortunately, politics does get involved but our focus should always be on the victims that need our help. Can the US handle this crises on it's own? Yes it can. Does that mean that we refuse or shun offers of assistance from other countries? No! Help has already been offered from across the world and from countries we would never have expected assistance from such as Cuba! A wealthy country such as the US may not require as much aid as for example the nations that were struck by the tsunami, but we are grateful to anyone that is willing to assist.

Im very proud to say that Americans open their hearts to anyone needing aid, regardless of political opinion and especially when we as people suffer tragedy we step up to the plate. We're a big enough and wealthy enough country to take care of our own. Kudos to other countries that rush to the aid of other nations in need.

Could rescue and relief efforts been better handled? Damn straight, but now is not the time to bicker about that, now is the time to act, to help and find ways to provide for these people.

Large kudos to my home state of Texas for opening up is doors to their neighbors, even as far as Dallas and San Antonio! California has also offer to take in refuges. Dozens of locations have started collection drives and just since yesterday, close to a million dollars have been collected just from private citizens here in Los Angeles and Orange County!

This is what I want to hear and read about! Those of you that just want to spew condemnation and ridicule...keep it to yourselves! Of what use is it?

"For where jealousy and contentiousness are, there disorder and every vile thing are." James 3:16

#79617 - 09/04/05 07:12 AM Re: Who will help us!!
Pia Offline

Loc: Finland
Really stupid to even think that a tragedy like this would affect europeans less if it takes place in the US. People are people. All my condolences to the victims and their families.

#79618 - 09/04/05 02:17 PM Re: Who will help us!!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Floridians:

To help those evacuees that have reached our state of Florida, Catholic Charities just posted this for all concerned who wish to help the evacuees in Church bulletins this Sunday:

Quote:
Catholic Charities regional ofices in Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Gainesville and Lake City are reporting many evacuees from Louisiana and Mississippi. Some are here with family and friends, but many are here with just their shirts on their back. The Red Cross has set up emergency shelters in Jacksonville, and Gainesville and motels in Lake City (on Interstate 10)are full. Catholic Charities is providing food and, when possible financial assistance for lodging, transportation and other necessities.

WHAT CAN YOU DO?

Contact Catholic Charities in Jacksonville, Florida and make sure that the monies are designated for Hurricane Katrina Relief:

Send checks to:
Catholic Charities Central Office
Attn: Cathy Damone
134 E. Church Street
Jacksonville, Fl 32202
Or, call:
904-354-4846 x 232 to make donations by credit cards.

Donations online can be made directly to Catholic Charities/USA http://www.catholiccharitiesusa.org .

All funds collected will be used to assist hurricane victims in Louisiana and Mississippi.
Here is what Catholic Charities is doing around the nation to help the Katrina evacuees:
Quote:
Hurricane Katrina: Catholic Charities Respond Across the Country

Alexandria, VA—
As the devastating impact of Hurricane Katrina continues to take its toll along the Gulf Coast, Catholic Charities agencies from around the affected region and well beyond are actively responding to those in need. Catholic Charities agencies are working to meet the immediate needs of refugees, as well as planning for the process of providing assistance for long-term recovery efforts. Catholic Charities agencies in the impacted area are also continuing to assess the extent of the damage and work with other relief organizations to respond.
In addition to providing emergency services to refugees, Catholic Charities agencies will provide assistance that will help hurricane victims and communities recover in the long-term. While Katrina's damage is still being evaluated, based on past disasters, the long-term services that Catholic Charities may provide include temporary and permanent housing, mental health counseling, direct assistance beyond food and water to get people back into their homes, job placement counseling, and medical and prescription drug assistance.

Snapshot of Local Catholic Charities Relief Efforts

Catholic Community Services of Baton Rouge and Catholic Charities of New Orleans are coordinating services in Baton Rouge. They are working with all of the appropriate recovery partners, including FEMA, Red Cross, and Voluntary Organizations Active in Disasters. In any disaster situation, Catholic Charities focuses on long-term recovery efforts. The agencies are currently assessing the extent of the damage and how best to respond. As they focus on long-term recovery efforts, the agencies are also working hard to identify resources, refer victims, and stage material assistance that will be used in the weeks and months ahead. At the same time, they are trying to restore the services we provided before Hurricane Katrina knowing that they will be needed more than ever. The Baton Rogue agency has also set up a grief counseling line and staff from the New Orleans agency are providing counseling at the city's Louis Armstrong International Airport to those being evacuated.

Florida
Teams from the Catholic Charities agencies in Florida and the Florida Catholic Conference are already providing advice and guidance to agencies in the impacted areas. These teams will be going to Mississippi and possibly Louisiana in the next couple of day to start proving technical assistance on the front lines.

Tennesse
Catholic Charities of Memphis, Inc. is just one of the local Catholic Charities agencies working with other groups in the community to assist the thousands of people who have come to Memphis for refuge. The agency is providing shelter at one of its facilities for families displaced by Katrina. In addition to shelter, it is also providing clothing, food, and counseling services for approximately 100-150 people. St. Peter Ministries, the community outreach division of Catholic Charities of Memphis, is coordinating the registration process for families who need shelter.

Texas
Catholic Charities of Galveston-Houston is providing assistance to displaced persons by getting them to shelters immediately. For those in transit from the disaster area ( i.e., traveling to stay with relatives, etc.), Catholic Charities is offering one or two nights stay, often at a hotel, and providing them funds for food, gas, or transportation to their destination. They are also coordinating with the Red Cross to find longer-term shelter for those with no relatives to go to as well as providing food to these people.

Thousand of evacuees have been transported to San Antonio. Catholic Charities of San Antonio is partnering with the city to provide intake workers to process the evacuees as they arrive. In addition, the agency is providing food, clothing, and personal items to victims of the storm. It also is the agency responsible for matching victims with host families in the community. The agency is working with all the partner agencies in the faith community.

Washington, D.C.
Meeting the long-term housing needs of hurricane survivors on their way to the nation's capital is the immediate priority for Catholic Charities of Washington, DC. Up to 400 survivors of Hurricane Katrina may arrive at the D.C. Armory this weekend. Other survivors are already making their way to the national capital area. The agency is working with the 140 parishes of the Archdiocese of Washington and others in the community to find property owners or real-estate agents who can donate vacant housing units.

Arkansas
Catholic Charities of Arkansas has established a hurricane relief office and is asking that all parishes throughout the diocese appoint a volunteer or paid hurricane relief coordinator at the parish level. The agency will provide disaster relief, case management, and resettlement training to all parish relief coordinators so that direct services can provided at the parish level. The Catholic Charities hurricane relief office will be responsible for the overall coordination and support of parish efforts and the coordination of efforts with other relief agencies.

Chicago
Catholic Charities of Chicago is gearing up to shelter about 50 refugees that have been airlifted out of Louisiana by United Airlines. The Red Cross is putting them up until Tuesday.

As always, prayers...bring comfort to the suffering.

#79619 - 09/04/05 03:51 PM Re: Who will help us!!
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
There are many shelters open here in Austin, and they are all full, more are being opened today. They are flying people in. Local schools are taking in the kids and registering them for school w/no fees etc. Yesterday I was at Target and there was a line of people waiting to pick up basics like socks and underwear that Target is donating to local evacuees. The University of Texas is also allowing students to enroll. I'm a grad student in speech pathology and im sure we will being seeing some of these kids in our campus clinic. Another interesting note, right now in the Austin area they are looking for people to be "foster" parents for pets of evacuees who are at shelters and cant keep their animals with them there. i cant imagine having lost everything, being in a new city, at a shelter and then having my dog, the last thing taken away. My relatives were eventually evacuated and reunited in Houston, they are now trying to book a flight to my family's home in Illinois. They say they will just stay with my fam til they can go back to New Orleans.... but part of me wouldnt be suprised if they ended up settling and staying there.
kelly

Page 5 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 27 28 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments