Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#7921 - 03/07/05 01:25 PM Madrid: Quiet hostel?
Audrey2001 Offline

I am going to stay in Madrid for one week at the beginning of April. Now my question is, if anyone knows a hostel which is centrally located (Huertas?), but quiet at night at the same time. Does anything like that exist? Thanks a lot!!!

#7922 - 03/07/05 04:45 PM Re: Madrid: Quiet hostel?
ricardo4u Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
MADRID ; YES , The Hostal Oporto is VERY quiet, it is located just behind the courthouse of disputes, and is guarded 24/7 It is listed on MadridMan\'s hostal page .

#7923 - 03/07/05 04:53 PM Re: Madrid: Quiet hostel?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello, Audrey2001! Welcome to our ALL SPAIN Message Board.

In all honesty, I seriousy doubt there is any completely quiet hostel in Madrid. I say that because you cannot predict what's going to happen in the room next to you, where you'll be placed in the hostel (i.e. next to the reception area, next to an elevator shaft, next to a newlywed couple), whether or not there will be a lot of people in the street below your window on your particular night, etcetera.

I always recommend that people request a room as far UP and/or as far from the reception area as possible. Oftentimes, however, you cannot request a specific room and when you check in they'll put you wherever they have space.

Some newsly renovated hostels have double or triple-pane glass in their windows and this helps a lot but many many hostels have thin-ish walls and so you have that to deal with.

In Huertas there are nightclubs that open LATE which you may not notice during the daytime because they're closed then and THAT can be an issue when you're trying to sleep. There's A LOT of nightlife in Huertas so you'll always have people in the street, sometimes they'll be loud too. But all things considered, I'd rather be in Huertas.

Things will be noisier in the summer months than in the winter months and/or whether or not your hostel has air conditioning. You'll be there in April so you'll likely have your windows open during the day (when you're there) but closed at night. Streetside rooms can be noisier than inside air-shaft/patio rooms but those inside rooms can have their own noises of neighbors washing dishes or playing music while having their windows open.

So yours is a tough question, I'm sorry to say. Most all very central hostels are going to have some noise issues, I'm sorry to say. If you're a light sleeper you might consider taking ear-plugs. When I've stayed at hostels it has been during the months of April and October and I never had any noise problems - problems sleeping, that is - and I ALWAYS request a streetside room just because I love to stand on the balconies and watch the cars and people go by.

Have a great time in Madrid and Spain. I know you will.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#7924 - 03/11/05 04:56 AM Re: Madrid: Quiet hostel?
Audrey2001 Offline

Thanks for your answers! In the end I booked a room at Hostal Lopez and asked for a room not facing the street - we`ll see! But I am really looking forward to my Madrid-trip and your great homepage really helped me organizing this! Thanks a lot @Madridman!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments