Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#805 - 05/19/01 10:35 PM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Thanks, Karen!! It's too late for me to get a book delivered now, but I have time to find one in a travel agency in Spain. I, too, got their book (what fun), but no CD!! There are some GREAT hotels in madrid and barcelona at basically one half off and, in the case of the lovely casa de suecia, about 2/3 off. No kidding!! I'll let you all know how the bancotel experience is for me.

#806 - 05/20/01 08:48 AM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Sorry rgf I had missed your thread til too late. I'm actually not using Bancotel in Madrid as I had found out about Hostale Persal and wanted to try that. But I know I had checked a monestary near Haro on my own and would have paid at least 2X. The Bancotel choices helped me choose an itinerary that worked!I'll definately report back,too as I'm going to some places not mentioned much on this board.

#807 - 06/14/01 12:55 PM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
lamar Offline

Loc: hillside, il usa
hi everybody!
we're going to madrid in august and plan on staying at the palace hotel using the bancotel scheme. does anyone know if my credit card is charged once i make the reservation or can i reserve now and pay once we arrive in madrid? also, if we need to cancel for any reason, will they reimburse us the cost of the checks? it's just that we would like to make our reservations as early as possible to assure us a room and to take advantage of the favorable exchange rate. i really appreciate any and all information. this is such a helpful and informative site. thanks all!! lamar smile

#808 - 07/08/01 10:47 PM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[originally posted by karenwishart on 7-8-01...]

Just got back and thought I'd give some info on our Bancotel experience.Segovia-Los Arcos:this was our first Banc. and it was satisfactory though in Segovia I would have much rather been closer to the historic section. The location was a little bit commercial and we had a little difficulty finding it as Segovia's layout kinda of forces traffic out & around. It seemed a little more designed for business travelers and staff wasn't overly friendly. Next was Tres Condes in Aranda del Duera. Once again this was not in the best of locations for ambience. It was away from the town center where all the shopping, bodegas and restaurants were located but the interior was charming and clean and a very sweet lady who spoke a very little English really went out of her way to give us info on the area. The man who replaced her the next morning was just the opposite..best forgotten! Also, AC was a small fan. Next came the jewel..If you have time and aren't looking for shopping & nightlife Hosteria Monasterio S.Millan (de la Corgolla) in the heart of Rioja was incredible. This was just so beautiful..simple elegance w/all ammenities, a great restaurant w/wonderful house wines set in some of the most beautiful landscape we traveled through. We walked along paths surrounding the monestary where lush gardens grew and sheep grazed and vineyards abounded. We were awakened by songbirds and sheep's bells and had there not been gorgeous marble bathrooms and piped in music to your room, you'd expect to look out you balcony window and see monks pacing the courtyard singing their morning prayers.Truly a beautiful retreat. Next we went to the coast of Cantabria to the resort town of Suance about 35 miles south of Santander and very near Santillana de Mer and Altimira. The town is a burgeoning resort town with beautiful beaches, clean water and because it was the last 2 days of June, delightfully uncrowded. Our hotel Cuevas III was very nice and clean. gorgeous flowers climbing all over it's stone construction, a little walk to the beach but free parking right on site and we had no problem driving down to beach area at night to walk around and have dinner.What the town lacked in old world Spain ambience was made up for by good beaches, really nice lodging and beautiful Santillana less than 10min away.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#809 - 07/09/01 01:51 PM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Hi Karen

Thanks for letting us know about Hotel Tres Condes in Aranda de Duero. We are commited to staying there for one night only, but want to make the most of it of course.

You say it is out of the centre, but is there anything at all around the vicinity of the hotel? Is it walking distance to the centre? Or easy to catch a bus? Is there a food shop nearby (for buying bread/cheese/jamon etc?)

What about parking? They advertise a car park.

Also, importantly, how did you manage to locate the hotel? I have not managed to get a map with it pinpointed, although I do have the address of course.

Did you find the Bancotel system easy and straightforward? Did you have all the relevant hotels already booked through Bancotel, or did you have some vouchers left to stay elsewhere?

Wow what a lot of questions - sorry! rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

Thanks.

Jo

#810 - 07/09/01 06:39 PM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Bancotel was easy.We had our coupons sent to us prior to leaving US and absolutely had no problem. Aranda is a small town so finding the hotel was easy. There are little advertising signs, yellow I think, as I came in from Segovia. If you go into town you've gone too far. You could walk to town though the first half wasn't much to look at soI would just drive in near to the center and park and walk which wasn't much of a problem. We parked on the street in view from our room but there is a garage. The street was easier and free at night.There's a rest. but we chose to eat in El Lagar,drive into town and park at church and wander around,you'll find it.Very nice,authentic local cuisine and good wine. They spoke very little English and just opened the gate to the wine celler and down we went on our own. With 2 teens, they loved the selfguided "tour" and it felt like a real adventure! I will write more in Favorite Places about side trips from the town. It's definately a great stopover...even with the grumpy man at the desk!

#811 - 07/24/01 08:40 PM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
I should have investigated Bancotel before I made my reservations. However, I cancelled them. I am staying at some of the nicest place hotels for half the cost. I am spending 2 nights at the Westin Palace in Madrid, 2 nights at the Hotel Conquistador in Cordoba, 3 nights at the Hotel Alfonso VIII, and the a final night in Madrid at the Hyatt Villa Magna. Total Cost $ 607.00, that is $ 75.87 a night for double occupancy. I was able to make my reservations and purchase my checkbooks online, and they will be delivered to home before I leave on August 22,2001. What a deal!

#812 - 07/25/01 04:37 PM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
I ordered my checkbooks with Bancotel on Sunday evening, they arrived UPS this morning, less than 72 hours. Great.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 189 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments