Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#785 - 11/29/00 06:51 AM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[originally posted by KCarlo - please reply to his question here in order to continue the thread]

I've learned of the Bancotel checks for good hotel rates through a post here.

I was able to reserve the Palace Hotel for my 10 day stay in Madrid. If I'm calculating correctly, it will come to approximately 137 Euros per night (about $120 US). That sounds to good to be true based on what I've read about the Palace.

I'm a bit nervous about this. Has anyone had recent experience using the Bancotel checks and their reservation system. I'd hate to show up at the Palace and find I have no place to stay.

Thanks!
KC

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 11-30-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#786 - 11/29/00 08:16 AM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Did you calculate the right number of cheques the Palace requires? That is amazingly cheap for the Palace, but if you counted how many cheques they require and they accepted the rservation, you are IN! (not all rooms at the Palace are sumptuous or huge, but it is still the palace!)

#787 - 11/29/00 08:25 AM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[originally posted by rgf]

The all-important thing to have is a confirmation (fax) or a confirmation NUMBER. It is a sheraton/westin hotel. They should give you a good old real confirmation #.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#788 - 11/29/00 09:15 AM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Hi KC! I just had a look at this hotel on the on-line booking page of the Bancotel website and even now they still have some dates free in December. This is the link to that particular availability chart http://www.bancotel.com/scripts/Infotel.dll/Cal?hotel=246&Format=Page&Type=2&Lang=0 You will need three cheques per night, which with the tax (which has to paid direct to the hotel) comes to, as you quite rightly calculate, roughly $120 per night. I don't know if you reserved the room on line with Bancotel, or by ringing their central reservations telephone number 906 300 401 (only from Spain?) or directly with the hotel, but certainly in the case of the first two you should receive a booking reference.

You would normally purchase at a travel agency in Spain where you will receive a voucher which is exchanged on arrival at the hotel for a book, or books, of 5 cheques. The hotel keeps however many are needed and you get the rest back to use elsewhere before the expiry date, which is at the end of March each year. I was under the impression that you could only purchase the cheque books through accredited travel agents, but I may be wrong on that point. If you have merely reserved the rooms without having purchased the cheques, then I would confirm that this is the case with Bancotel, if I were you, as otherwise you may have a problem when you get to the hotel without a voucher, as the hotels themselves cannot sell the cheque books direct to the clients. It says on the Bancotel home page that the sale of the cheque books (vouchers) is exclusively through travel agencies, so let me know if this is not the case, or indeed you can buy them at travel agencies outside of Spain?

I hope I'm not confusing you KC! I can assure you the system really does give you great deals and I have stayed in many places that would normally cost at least double what I have paid with Bancotel. Enjoy it!

#789 - 11/29/00 09:30 AM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

KC-- yes, do tell us how to get this cheques if we aren't in Spain at the time of reserving....

#790 - 11/30/00 02:40 AM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
KCarlo Offline

Loc: Livermore, CA 94550
Hi everyone! Thanks for all of the information. This is a great site. Thanks MadridMan!!

I got a confirmation number so I think I'm set!!

To purchase and pickup the coupons in person, you do need to go through a travel agent. Ismael from Bancotel said to go to the larger agency chains such as Marsans Viajes, Barcelo Viajes, etc.

You can also purchase the coupons with a credit card on Bancotel's website. They will send them to your home and charge a small shipping charge.

If there isn't time to send the checks to your home, they will have them delivered to the first hotel your arriving at.

The Bancotel people were very helpful and informative. I'll let you know how my trip goes.

I can't wait to be back in Madrid!!

#791 - 12/06/00 10:36 AM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
chpdx1 Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon, USA
Just got back from 14 days in Spain and had a great time. This site was invaluable to me. I used the Bancotel checks after seeing the post here. It was too short notice to have them sent to me here in the States, so had them delivered to my hotel in Madrid, which they were. Used them for a couple of nights at The Palace and for one at the Villa Magna. Both amazing hotels and affordable with these checks. Absolutley no hassles using them, not getting them. They do have other more moderate hotels available as well. Their web site is easy to navigate and if you have questions they are very friendly and are quick to respond. I know that alot of people on this site are looking for more economical accomodations than these two hotels, but as I say they do have a large number of other options as well. I am in the hotel industry so I stayed in a total of 7 hotels while I was there, both in Madrid and Segovia as well as Toledo. I will be posting my thoughts, suggestions and critiques in a seperate post. Again, thanks for the help in making my trip a success, and I do highly recommend these checks. Charles

#792 - 12/06/00 04:26 PM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Charles, you did us all a great service by reporting on the cheque system! We look forward to more or your advice, espec. since you are in the travel world. We are always on this board looking for new tips on making the most of our travels. Where do you work?

#793 - 12/08/00 07:50 AM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
KCarlo Offline

Loc: Livermore, CA 94550
Hi Everyone! I'm currently in Madrid and wanted to send a message regarding my experience with using the Bancotel checks. My experience was very similar to Charles.

Thanks to this message board, I am very pleased to have discovered them! I didn't have time to have them sent to my home but they were waiting for me when I checked in at the hotel. It was very easy and no troubles. I'm staying at the Palace for what converts to about $120 per night. The corporate rate I could have gotten was twice that...so, I could not have stayed at the Palace if it weren't for the information that the members here have shared! Thanks again!

[This message has been edited by KCarlo (edited 12-08-2000).]

#794 - 12/08/00 04:22 PM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Sounds great! so how are you getting to and from work?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 186 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments