Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#775 - 11/13/00 11:19 AM Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
You might like to try this for excellent accomodation at great prices. The company is Bancotel and the way the scheme works is that you buy a book of five "cheques" at a cost of 38.000 Pts. (You pay tax of 7% to the hotel too). The hotels in the scheme are at least 3 star and they require one cheque for each night, although some hotels require two and even three cheques (for example the Alfonso XIII in Sevilla or the Ritz in Barcelona).
A lot of places, especially in Madrid, only allow occupancy under this scheme on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, but there are many which accept Bancotel cheques any night of the week. Go to http://www.bancotel.com/hoteles/index_e.htm Here you can see the hotels in the scheme and even get on line availability. By the way, I don't have any connection with Bancotel (or indeed Ibercheque and other companies which run similar schemes). It's just that I have used them myself quite a few times over the last couple of years and I've stayed in hotels like the Gran Hotel Renacimiento in Sevilla(FIVE STARS!!), Sofitel in Madrid, the Parador in Cadiz, Beatriz in Toledo, Regio in Salamanca, Metropolitan in Lisbon etc etc. All of these are 4 star, very nice hotels and all cost about 8.000 Pts per night per room. That's about $40? Not bad at all! There are ten of us staying in the 4* Melia at Cordoba this weekend and we're using 5 cheques, so it works out with the tax at a total of 40.660 Pts for ten people!! Great value! Have a look at the site and see what you think.

#776 - 11/13/00 12:19 PM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Now THAT'S A GREAT POST!!! And since I am already a Member, you know I'm not just saying this. A super idea for top hotels (and they are) at GREAT prices. I bet the question in availibility....

#777 - 11/20/00 04:54 PM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
chpdx1 Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon, USA
I saw your post and am going to give them a try. Two of the hotels offered I had reservtions at already, but the prices through this service are 50% less than I was paying and those were discounted to begin with. As I am leaving soon I e-mailed them about delivery of the books. They were very prompt in reply and will deliver them to my hotel in Madrid. I must say I am abit apprehensive about not having them in my hand before I leave, but we shall see. Your ringing endorsement cinched it for me. Will let you know of my experiences when I return. This trip will be interesting as I have done all the planning and reservations for it all on the internet this time. Regards to all

#778 - 11/20/00 07:37 PM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'm usually EXTRA skeptical about 50% hotel deals etcetera, thinking that the prices are inflated by 50% in order to make up the discount. BUT, after hearing firsthand recommendations from Regular Members like Anchovy Front I have to believe it's true.

Thank you Anchovy Front for letting us all know about this and for making another board member happy, saving him/her money, and for sharing your knowledge with the masses. (Say, do you have a spare bedroom in your house there in Andalucía?? hehehe..)

Aren't we a 'SPECIAL' group!! I really love all of you. Call me a sap, but you've become like warm, understanding, helpful family members. Thank you all.

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 11-21-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#779 - 11/21/00 01:23 AM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
MadridMan-don't be skeptical, Bancotel reall does save!
I'm glad this actually got posted here, as our friend's father started Bancotel and we have used them before!

#780 - 11/21/00 05:57 AM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
nevado Offline

I've used all of the "coupon" books and yes, they are true. If Bancotel doesn't fit your needs, you can also try El Corte Ingles they have a website http://viajes.elcorteingles.es where you can check out the hotels. There is also Hotelcolor and Halcon viajes "weekend" coupons. (they are a bit more flexible- you can purchase just the coupons you'll need). Check them all out and compare- some vary in the number of coupons for the same hotels. The coupon books expire at the end of the year so plan away! I've found that they're even worth it if you have to "eat" some of the coupons. When I got married I had 15 rooms booked for out of town guests and it cost me less than $50 a night per room! The hotel was listed at 22000 pesetas a night at that time and I looked like a superstar. They have been my friend for many years.

#781 - 11/21/00 08:08 AM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for confirming how good this is chaps! I just hope that there will always be rooms spare now that millions of MM's regulars have seen this and are rushing out to make their reservations as I speak......

#782 - 11/21/00 12:08 PM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
connie Offline

I have used checks from Halcon Viajes and Ibercheque and it was great. However, the hotels have just a limited number of rooms available for these checks. That means that even if theoretically you travel during a time where they accept the checks generally, they might tell you that they can just offer you a room at the general rate.
The advantage of the Halcon Viajes checks is that you do not have to buy an entire check book, but they sell single checks, too. The disadvantage is that (unless they have introduced arrangements on a webpage now) you have to call the hotels yourself in advance, unless you convince someone in a Halcon Viajes office to do it for you what they do not really want, and if they do, it could happen that they charge you, because I think the idea is that you are supposed to call yourself.

#783 - 11/21/00 12:38 PM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

That sounds more flexible. It's often the case where we would like to go away for just a couple of nights but don't want to buy a whole book of cheques, especially when it's coming to the end of the period in which you have to use them. How much are the Halcon Viajes cheques connie? Is there a site where you can see which hotels accept the them?

[This message has been edited by Anchovy Front (edited 11-21-2000).]

#784 - 11/21/00 01:18 PM Re: Luxury accomodation...cheap! (Bancotel)
connie Offline

There are three different categories of checks (according to hotel category and location), I think it ranged from 5.500 to 7.700 each one(it might be 1.000 more, I am not sure right now). I have stayed in 4-Star-Places which were really nice.
I just picked up a free booklet at a Halcon Viajes office which contained all the available hotels of the three categories and the periods of eligibility. With help of this booklet, you can call the places and see whether there is any availability before you buy the checks.
They have a homepage http://www.halcon-viajes.es or www.halconviajes.com , unfortunately, it does not contain information on these checks, but there is a service number and maybe you can convince them to mail you the booklet. I think the program was called talones weekend plan or something similar (although it is not restricted to weekends).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 189 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments