Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
This 'little quiz' could become addictive !!! rolleyes

#77490 - 12/16/03 06:49 PM Re: not all americans are stupid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I "tested" one of my coworkers today, also an "American", is about 55 years old, as educated as me, upper management-type, and he first scored 13 out of 20 and got a good laugh at the explanation of his knowledge at the end of the quiz. He played it until he FINALLY got 19 out of 20 and then the explanation for his success was rather nasty and condescending to 'Americans'.

What's a "Blinkered"? At the front page it says
Quote:
For too long the rest of the world has laughed at Americans for being ignorant, crass, and blinkered.
"Blinkered" isn't even in my dictionary or... maybe I'm just stupid - or maybe my 'American' dictionary is stupid. hehehe.. wink

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#77491 - 12/16/03 11:45 PM Re: not all americans are stupid
JoeSambuca Offline

Loc: New York City
Hey Madridman,
if you inverse "American dictionary is stupid"
you have "Stupid is American dictionary."
WEIRD!
eek

#77492 - 12/17/03 01:48 AM Re: not all americans are stupid
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
12/20 Arrrrggg!

#77493 - 12/18/03 09:15 AM Re: not all americans are stupid
PisoMadrid Offline

Loc: Los Angeles/Madrid
I'd just like to say that the test obviously originates in England and that I felt the questions were "British centric". I got 15/20 just doing it once. To me the site is insulting and the Authors obviously would love it if all Americans were stupid. It would reinforce their world view. I hope we can trust the results.

#77494 - 12/18/03 01:20 PM Re: not all americans are stupid
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Just another meaningless test that has absolutely nothing to do with the real world, and takes the time to slam the U.S. one way or another. The authors of the test failed, spelling "realize" wrong in their "evaluation" if they were intending to make it sound "unbiased," and equal for Americans.

Of course that never was their intent, was it? So who gives a rip? laugh
-----------------------------------------------

You answered 19 questions correctly out of 20.

You have an impressive understanding of the world for an American. It is likely that you feel intellectually isolated in your home country, and often have to hide your opinions from others. Deep down, you realise that your country is the single biggest threat to world peace in modern times, but you have not yet summoned up the courage to emigrate.

-------------------------------------------

Wolf

#77495 - 12/18/03 07:36 PM Re: not all americans are stupid
Gloria_dup1 Offline

Loc: Casper, Wyoming
15/20 Hey! No Fair! I tanked on the math questions. That's why I'm a Spanish teacher. Duh!

Gloria

#77496 - 12/19/03 01:32 AM Re: not all americans are stupid
Roe Offline

Loc: california
Check out the comments on the main page, it shows how (most) people out there can take a joke but also recognize that the site is irrational and immature in it's attitudes towards Americans.

#77497 - 12/19/03 05:24 AM Re: not all americans are stupid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Another thing, a person in Great Britain registered the domain name which hosts the site. Aha! wink

Happy Holidays, Everyone! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#77498 - 12/19/03 05:58 AM Re: not all americans are stupid
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Many years ago, when I was in college, and had just recently completed an IQ test, a professor stood in front of us and gave us our scores. When he was through he told us that we did very well. In fact we were the highest scoring class he'd ever had.

Then he smiled and said; "Your test results prove you know a lot about things that don't mean a damned thing!"

I found out, as time went on, that he was right. We were just in the beginning of our learning curve, and whether you get a low or high score on general knowledge doesn't mean anything if you don't have the real skills needed to learn something of substance. After all, how many jobs do you know out there that people spend their time taking general knowledge tests?

Still, they should be fun, and this one was because of that pesky bar at the top that made you think quick or start to hyperventilate! laugh

Wolf

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments