Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#7582 - 12/02/04 10:04 AM Madrid: Hotel Conde Duque - map and opinion
weekendaway Offline

Loc: Bristol
Hi, have got what I think is a really good rate at the above hotel which looks terrific on the website but anyone know about it. Also any ideas where I can find a really good online map of madrid so I can locate it - ie is it as close to the main attractions as it says it is?

#7583 - 12/02/04 10:26 AM Re: Madrid: Hotel Conde Duque - map and opinion
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
The 4-Star Gran Hotel Conde Duque (web: http://www.hotelcondeduque.es/ ) is located next to the San Berardo metro stop which is just west of the BILBAO metro stop on the Calle Alberto Aguilera. This is on the northern edge of "Old Madrid". The distance from here to, say, Puerta del Sol IS walkable but it's a lonnnng walk and not one you'd want to do late at night. In my opinion, it's not the ideal location but IS outside of the tourist zone so maybe that's a benefit for you. OR NOT(?). It's about equidistant from the Puerta del Sol as the Atocha train station is from Puerta del Sol.

You can see a photo of their address on the QDQ.com site HERE (choose the SECOND "Plaza del Conde Del Valle De Súchil" link) and a map of its location and take a virtual stroll around the neighborhood. There's also http://www.ViaMichelin.com - very good mapping site.

As for it being close to the main attractions, it's really not. That is to say, it's "CLOSE" in the relative sense of the word if compared to locations further outside the old center, yes, but you'll require some kind of transportation for most things to see. You could walk to the Templo de Debod and the Plaza de España but the Plaza Mayor, Puerta del Sol is quite a bit farther. And Huertas, Retiro Park, Puerta de Toledo, and the Puente de Toledo for example, would make you exhausted reaching them onfoot. Most everything is accessible by metro, though, but you probably won't want to use them late at night if you're too far away. Taxis are everywhere, however, and are much more affordable (even with the current, terrible exchange rate) than those in the USA and probably even cheaper for people from the UK like you.

This hotel's location is not the kind of place you'd want if you'd like to walk out your door in the morning and reach anything quickly, within a few blocks, or enjoy some of those great cafés for breakfast in the Old city center.

Best of luck and enjoy your time in Madrid!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#7584 - 12/02/04 10:40 AM Re: Madrid: Hotel Conde Duque - map and opinion
llewilli Offline

Loc: Washington DC
I have stayed at this hotel and I LOVED it. It is an easy walk to the metro and the hotel staff are SOOO helpful. I had my purse stolen while there and they were absolute godsends in helping me to report it to the police and in getting money wired to me. My 78 year old grandmother from Arkansas was calling the hotel for me very worried and they were so kind to her. I had a phone message on the last day after I had checked out and they hunted me down in the hotel to give it to me. The room was incredibly nice with French doors overlooking the little plaza where children play. The breakfast is great, the bar intimate. LOVED it. You cannot go wrong. In fact I can send you pics of my beloved hotel if you give me an email address. laugh

#7585 - 12/03/04 04:31 AM Re: Madrid: Hotel Conde Duque - map and opinion
weekendaway Offline

Loc: Bristol
thanks to both of you for such useful - and prompt - info: this website is brilliant, thankyou Madridman. The map link is great too. I have also used your metro link to print off a copy the system.

Will have to go back to the rest of my party to discuss whether the out of the way location is balanced by the feedback on how good the hotel is - which is what I have heard from other sources. Shame it isn't closer, maybe back to the drawing board - any other ideas? How about the Carlton? Cheaper, but scores well on hotelclub.net.

#7586 - 12/03/04 11:28 AM Re: Madrid: Hotel Conde Duque - map and opinion
llewilli Offline

Loc: Washington DC
i really didn't find the location a problem at all. the metro in madrid is so easy that it was a simply 3 block walk and 2 stop metro ride to the main part of the city. my spainard says Hotel Moderno is great -- it's in puerta del sol.

#7587 - 12/03/04 06:25 PM Re: Madrid: Hotel Conde Duque - map and opinion
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
The Hotel Carlton is close to the Atocha Train station and the Reina Sofia Art museum. It has a great breakfast, nice rooms and really great service. You can walk to Puerta del Sol, but some would consider it a bit of a hike. I personally prefer staying nearer to Puerta del Sol, but the Carlton is quieter at night.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments