Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#75793 - 11/02/02 10:17 AM Re: Thank you France.
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
WOOHOO and YIPPPEEEE for MM's comment about respect.

#75794 - 11/02/02 03:41 PM Re: Thank you France.
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
People just seem to want to be along for the ride, then complain about everything after they didn't vote.
Another shot from the hip Wolf confused

And by the way, many political scientists argue that the lack of voting could be attributed to the satisfaction with the status quo. Aaaand, even pollsters cannot psyco-analyze their respondents as to "why" they didn't vote. We must then look at both Psycology and Social Psycology as to the "real" reasons people don't vote. I would put my educational bet on Maslow and when people are satisfied, voting does not become a high priority.

(I believe that Spanish voting percetage has gone down, still higher than the US but DOWN)
cool

#75795 - 11/02/02 05:10 PM Re: Thank you France.
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Toddy,

Maslow's pyramid. How do you know you want lobster unless you ever ate it? How do you know you want to live in housing that isn't rat infested if you never lived where there weren't rats everywhere? Great theories from a time gone by, but let's face it, with modern technology, and people being brought into more of the world outside their own little zone each day, core needs change based on what they see others having.

You can use Maslow's theories as a guide, which I do, but not as the bible for all things political. The problem is, the people who need the most help from an imperfect society are the ones who should vote, to insure their candidates are in office. Still, they have the least percentage of voter turn out. Then the complaints start, about how badly they are treated by society.

That's why I push from the AARP aspect of getting senior citizens out to vote. The issues on the table effect us nearly as much as they do low income families. Everything we worked and saved for is at risk, when we don't make our voices heard. "When people are satisfied, they don't have a high priority for voting." True. That's a given, not a huge discovery. Sorry. We're back to core needs.

Wolf (By the way, Maslow was a UW student like me - laugh )

#75796 - 11/02/02 06:16 PM Re: Thank you France.
toddy Offline

Quote:
The problem is, the people who need the most help from an imperfect society are the ones who should vote, to insure their candidates are in office
But, remember, if you're a recent immigrant or a felon, I don't think you can vote (legally).
I really believe that people don't vote because it is not even close to a high priority in the United States. And remember, from a political philosophy point of view, atleast one of our forfathers thought the elite were the best to run our country and not the masses. smile

#75797 - 11/03/02 10:58 AM Re: Thank you France.
SRedw Offline

#75798 - 11/03/02 11:25 AM Re: Thank you France.
toddy Offline

Group hug con yo tambien laugh
And now back to France.
What interest does France have in delaying the Iraq vote. Why can't they accept that even California surpassed their economy last year (they barely beat us this year). I say the UN kicks them OUT of the inner circle. Orrrr maybe they can start paying for defending Europe instead of the US. jao(french laugh) laugh

#75799 - 11/04/02 10:06 AM Re: Thank you France.
big jamon Offline

Loc: boston area
oh yeah i really stepped in it didn't i...good thing i enjoy my time spent as a provocatuer...
am i sorry for what i said?...NO WAY!
for someone to openly state their disloyalty for this country they invite abuse...
hell i HATE most of the policies of our government...but i would never consider myself disloyal to this country...NEVER! my parnets went through too much to get here...in spite of the US gov't turning its back on them...
and chica, what SRedw said about not showing any loyalty had NOTHING to do with being an informed voter...
and if my post was offensive...too bad...i find what SRedw said offensive...
..."As a minority in the US, my view is different than many whites..."
i have news for you, as a minority i found them EVEN more offensive...and that last statement extremely patronizing...
so it's time for me to ride off into the sunset...diplomacy never was one of my strong points...nor do i suffer fools gladly...
guess i'll just spend my time here in the spain- specific discussions and leave the politics alone...

#75800 - 11/04/02 10:29 AM Re: Thank you France.
SRedw Offline

#75801 - 11/04/02 10:45 AM Re: Thank you France.
big jamon Offline

Loc: boston area
shawn...
to tell you the truth our politics are probably closer we think...
my anger is strictly in the disloyalty statement...like i said my parents/relatives went through too much to get here to even entertain thoughts of disloyalty...anarchy maybe...
not liking a government's policies is no reason to be disloyal...angry and outraged, yes...but disloyalty brings up all sorts of things like treason and sedition...and in the political climate these days it could be very easy and unpleasant to be painted with that brush...
..."maybe one day we can have a discussion where anger isn't involved"...you know we probably could...i'll check my attitude at the door...
larry

#75802 - 11/04/02 10:55 AM Re: Thank you France.
SRedw Offline

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 800 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments