MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#75195 - 01/16/08 09:05 AM Madrid Movie Club: "American Gangster"
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Let's arrange a move get-together sometime next week to see American Gangster , starring Denzel Washington & Russell Crowe.

We'll meet, as always, at the popular Version Original & centric Cine Ideal . Tuesday and Wednesday are best for me. Movie times are 4:00pm and 7:00pm but they may change for next week. I just hope it's still showing! It should be as it has been getting EXCELLENT reviews and was nominated for 3 Golden Globe awards including Denzel Washing for Best Actor.

The movie is about 2.5 hours long. I always prefer the first showing but realize almost no one (else) can get there THAT early. If we go to the 7pm show we'll get out at about 9:37pm, possibly allowing us enough time for a quick beer and tapa.

Plot Outline:
Following the death of his employer and mentor, Bumpy Johnson, Frank Lucas establishes himself as the number one importer of heroin in the Harlem district of Manhattan. He does so by buying heroin directly from the source in South East Asia and he comes up with a unique way of importing the drugs into the United States. As a result, his product is superior to what is currently available on the street and his prices are lower. His alliance with the New York Mafia ensures his position. It is also the story of a dedicated and honest policeman, Richie Roberts, who heads up a joint narcotics task force with the Federal government. Based on a true story.

http://www.americangangster.es/ (Spanish)
http://www.americangangster.net/ (English)

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#75196 - 01/17/08 06:30 AM Re: Madrid Movie Club: "American Gangster"
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

For those interested, we could even meet a little earlier before the movie for a quick beer. I'll have a non-alcoholic beer so that I won't fall asleep during the movie. hehehe... Doubt there's much chance of that though. wave

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#75197 - 01/17/08 09:36 AM Re: Madrid Movie Club: "American Gangster"
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
would love to but don´t finish work til 7pm!

#75198 - 01/17/08 11:50 AM Re: Madrid Movie Club: "American Gangster"
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
Unfortunately until April work dictates that, much as I would like to especially with this movie, I just can't make the Movie Club.

If you go to the earlier showing I could manage the beer first though.

#75199 - 01/17/08 12:35 PM Re: Madrid Movie Club: "American Gangster"
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

sallyanne, can't you duck-out a half hour early?

Jamongris, same goes for you!! hehee.. Don't worry about it you two. There'll be other movies - but likely at about the same hour. eek

If there are no other responses I'll go to the earlier show at 3:45pm and, Jamongris, might meet you for that beer. Stay tuned!

Saludos, MadridMan

#75200 - 01/18/08 02:40 PM Re: Madrid Movie Club: "American Gangster"
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

UPDATE: They've just posted movietimes for next week's showing of American Gangster. They include 4pm and 7pm. Remember, the movie is 2 hours 37 minutes long.

Saludos, MadridMan

#75201 - 01/19/08 10:45 AM Re: Madrid Movie Club: "American Gangster"
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
Hi MM,
I could meet you on tuesday or thursday for cinema and beers.
I'd love to see that film but may be we could choose another film then others could join us.
Why not "The Oxford murders"? It looks nice. It is in English with subtitles in Spanish. Times for this movie are 6pm and 8:10pm.

Guia del ocio
Los crímenes de Oxford

#75202 - 01/19/08 02:24 PM Re: Madrid Movie Club: "American Gangster"
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

We should stick to the chosen movie for now and then make another gathering announcement for the next movie on another day. I'm also planning to go see "I Am Legend" or "Soy Leyenda" starring Will Smith but might go see that one on my own.

ODD. I don't see "The Oxford Murders" listed on the Yelmo Complex Cine Ideal website but on the Guia del Ocio for the same cinema I do. I would think the former would be the most up-to-date but maybe not.

I have to admit that I'm not much of a fan of murder mysteries like "The Oxford Murders" - maybe that's why (in part) I disliked so much The Davinci Code movie (really bad, in my opinion, but enjoyed the book). Plus, I don't particularly like Elija Wood as an actor - never saw any of "Lord of The Rings" movies either.

Anyway, post your thread for that movie if you like for either this coming Thursday or sometime next week and we'll plan to see that one. It looks good.

For me, for now, I'm really looking forward to seeing American Gangster. It may turn out to be an Academy Award winning film for this year. We'll see.

Saludos, MadridMan

#75203 - 01/19/08 05:17 PM Re: Madrid Movie Club: "American Gangster"
Executive Member

Ok MM!
Let's see American ganster, we'll enjoy it for sure.
I prefer next thursday at 4pm.
It will be nice to meet you and Jamongris for a few beers after the movie.

#75204 - 01/20/08 06:47 AM Re: Madrid Movie Club: "American Gangster"
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Okay then! Start a new thread in this "Classifieds & Personals" forum category as soon as possible - or I will - for "The Oxford Murders", right? Just so you know, few people will be able to join us for the 4pm showing but really, at least for me, the earlier the better.

Saludos, MadridMan

#75205 - 01/21/08 04:47 AM Re: Madrid Movie Club: "American Gangster"
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
If you're going Thursday I could meet for that beer first. I could arrive maybe a shade before 3.00, assuming it will be near the cinema.

However, you've posted on another thread that you're going tomorrow, which at the moment is trickier for me. So I'll keep watching out and see what happens.

#75206 - 01/21/08 10:57 AM Re: Madrid Movie Club: "American Gangster"
Executive Member

I'm sorry, but tomorrow I only could meet you for the 7pm. showing. Thursday I am free the whole evening.
Saludos

#75207 - 01/21/08 01:20 PM Re: Madrid Movie Club: "American Gangster"
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I'll see the scores wink of you at tomorrow's 7pm movie! I just hope they have enough seats for all of us. hehehe... I just hope they haven't started showing this movie in one of the smaller cinema rooms yet.

Saludos, MadridMan

#75208 - 01/22/08 07:14 AM Re: Madrid Movie Club: "American Gangster"
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

By the way, we'll meet outside (or just inside the doors of) Cine Ideal at about 6:45pm at the latest.

Saludos, MadridMan

#75209 - 01/22/08 09:30 AM Re: Madrid Movie Club: "American Gangster"
Executive Member

Ok MM!
I'll see you in front of Cine Ideal. But I probably will arrive a few minutes late, please, could you get the tickects if I am late? Thank you very much.

Saludos

#75210 - 01/22/08 10:38 AM Re: Madrid Movie Club: "American Gangster"
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Don't worry. I'll get tickets if you're late. I just hope you arrive before the start of the movie. I'll wait until 7pm and then will go in - and then you'll have to buy your own darn tickets wink and I'll be stuck with an extra one. :p

We should go into the Madrid intercambio after the movie for a little while too. I've only been once and I think you've been there too but it'd be good to return for one drink before going home.

See you all at Cine Ideal! wink

Saludos, MadridMan

#75211 - 01/22/08 06:09 PM Re: Madrid Movie Club: "American Gangster"
Executive Member

I enjoyed very much American ganster. It is the best movie I have seen for a long time. It deserves to win an Oscar in my opinion.
After the movie I had a great time with MM and friends at the Intercambio place, very lively as usual.

Thanks to all of you.

#75212 - 01/23/08 01:23 PM Re: Madrid Movie Club: "American Gangster"
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

The movie was REALLY good. I never lost interest and won't be surprised if it wins more awards. In total, there were 5 of us at the movie: 3 Spaniards, 1 French, and 1 United Statesen.

Until next movie!

Saludos, MadridMan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments