Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#75133 - 06/16/08 03:02 PM Re: Nicknames
Yankaluz Offline

Loc: SoCal, USA
In my case it's a combination of where I come from and what I am.

NO&DO is an emblem from Sevilla that means "No me ha dejado", "Did not abandon me, did not betray me or did not desert, did not leave me"

Apparently King Alfonso X had some power dispute with his heir and some cities took sides on the revolting side but not Sevilla which stayed true to the King and sought refuge and protection there.

In order to understand it you'd have to know that the Spanish word for wool skein is "Madeja" which is simbolized by that peculiar number-eight-looking-thing symbol "&"

So, in Spanish "No&Do" reads "No madeja do" which sounds very close to the propper "No me ha dejado" with the meaning above.

Pretty easy, eh? It's everywhere in Sevilla.

And the Yankaluz is a combination of my own for Yankee and Andaluz. Yankee's still almost a synonym to an American from USA regardless of how deep in the woods of the south you might be from,,, ironic but true,,, so there you have it. No&Do Yankaluz (Sevillano Americano-Andaluz) o algo asi,,, hahaha.... but you can call me Tony for short, OK.

Tony.

#75134 - 06/17/08 06:25 AM Re: Nicknames
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
FLIPPIN HECK i need a lie down after that answer confused confused confused

#75135 - 06/17/08 11:03 AM Re: Nicknames
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
I took a cake decorating class with some friends and discovered edible cake 'sparkles'. Kind of like glitter that you can eat. Needless to say it went on everything I made...

So I am now sparkalina!

#75136 - 06/19/08 06:20 AM Re: Nicknames
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Maybe someone can answer me a question ... Why is it that forums / discussion boards use these nicknames .
I've met quite a few people from this message board when they've come to Madrid and have usually had a quick initial introduction .. names etc... And it confuses me ! I'm not sure which "real" names fit which message board nicknames !
Maybe i'm just getting old !

Steve .

#75137 - 06/19/08 07:42 AM Re: Nicknames
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

a lot of it is to hide the identity of the person writing the post, we have a cricket forum going at home and the people write stuff just to cause an argument on the forum and then hide behind the nickname calling clubs/personal ,get everybody annoyed and then never post anymore topics, or relog in as another name and start all over again

#75138 - 06/19/08 10:29 PM Re: Nicknames
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
I became the Admiral of the Sunken Fleet because I was sinking ships to build artificial reefs. So, I added a year when a lot of ships were sunk in the past, just to pay homage to those who had gone before me.

#75139 - 06/23/08 08:51 PM Re: Nicknames
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Well I guess steve robinson will not get confused if we ever meet. smile Vicki is the nickname for my given name Victoria. That is what all of my friends call me so I picked it for this forum. Terribly uncreative on my part.

#75140 - 06/26/08 09:47 AM Re: Nicknames
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
Man, putting up a post just to start an argument? Those lads need to get some therapy, work out some issues, and grow up. Just a suggestion.

#75141 - 06/26/08 09:58 AM Re: Nicknames
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

am i missing something? confused confused confused

#75142 - 06/26/08 01:40 PM Re: Nicknames
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
admiral44, to whom are you referring??? confused

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments