Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7466 - 10/03/04 08:19 PM Spain in 9 days
tobbria Offline

Loc: chicago
my daughter and i will be landing in barcelona on 20th nov and returning on the 29th. we would like to go to cordoba, sevilla, granada, malaga, gibraltar,and back to barcelona for the last 2 days. we need suggations on a better plan? we have a plan to fly to sevilla first and from there take buses and trains. plus, we need recommendations on places to stay hostels or
hotels $35 to $50 per night with bathrooms with 2 beds. please, any suggestions will be very helpful! thanks!

#7467 - 10/04/04 01:51 AM Re: Spain in 9 days
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your trip will be tight but possible. Those southern provinces are close to each other.

Suggestion: reserve in advance. For 35 euros you may have sometimes problems for finding last-minute (quality) hotel accomodation for two persons (of course there are good "hostales" too), although it will be low season those days.

That could make you be closer to the upper part of your price band.

#7468 - 10/04/04 08:50 AM Re: Spain in 9 days
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
tobbria ,

Facing you on the computer screen under Post a Reply you will see the search function. Click on it - put in the name of a city you will be visiting and then click on the accomodations thread. You will get a ton of ideas for all the cities you mentioned. Be sure to check the dates on the posts - if a thread has not been active in a couple of years and you are interested in the hostel, re-activate the thread and ask if anyone has stayed there recently as you need feedback that is more current.

That should give you an idea of what you are after and that way it is also easier for us to ehlp you ....

#7469 - 10/04/04 12:02 PM Re: Spain in 9 days
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
As always, my advice for the first (jet lag) day is get as close as you can to where you're going. The day is about shot already: you arrive early AM and most Hotels or Hostals won't guarantee a room until mid afternoon. So you might as well keep going (i.e., fly to Sevilla).

You may have some difficulty finding accomodations in the price range you are looking for, especially if you are not a Spanish speaker. When I last visited Spain in June'04 I had already booked Hostals using the Internet (to locate them) and calling them direct to reserve accomodations. Don't use 'third party' services to locate and reserve places to stay. They're in business to make a profit and drive up the cost. The US Dollar's weakness vs. the Euro makes things bad enough. You don't need other people getting their hands in your pockets.
BTW
In June, I made an Año Júbilar Xacobeo visit to Galicia: I stayed 2-nights at a Hostal in VilaGarcia de Arousa (on the coast) and 2-nights in Santiago de Compostela. Double room (single occupancy) in VilaGarcia was 35-Euro /night and the same in Santiago was 30-Euro /night. Each was with private bath and each included (continental) breakfast. The one in VilaGarcia had an elevator; the one in Santiago did not.

I understand your desire to visit Sevilla, Cordoba and Granada (each city has something unique and special) but Malaga and Gibraltar?

#7470 - 10/04/04 12:22 PM Re: Spain in 9 days
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Eddie sez
Quote:
I understand your desire to visit Sevilla, Cordoba and Granada (each city has something unique and special) but Malaga and Gibraltar?
While I really like Malaga, Eddie has an excellent point! You are trying to do a lot if a very few days - Strongly suggest you eliminate Malaga & the Rock from your itinerary.

Unless you are totally set on Barcelona, I would hold that for a second trip as well. Or possibly do Madrid and Barca on this trip then see the southern part of Spain in-full another time.

Regardless, Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada, and Madrid will be more than enough for one trip in under two weeks.

#7471 - 10/04/04 09:50 PM Re: Spain in 9 days
tobbria Offline

thanks everyone for the helpful tips! we wont be going to madrid unfortunetly but then again, we will be changing some other plans. anyways, another question, did anyone use HOTELOPIA? if so, what kind of experience was it? i have looked at a few results and they seem pretty good. {they are per room not per bed and the rooms are like $60.00 a night and some with breakfast} thanks again!

#7472 - 10/06/04 05:33 AM Re: Spain in 9 days
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Welcome Tobbria,

In respect to accommodations, it may be well worth your while to look into the Bancotel system which allows you to purchase coupons that cost 50 euros per night for a double room in 3,4, and at times 5 star hotels over all of Spain.

As Puna mentioned, if you do a search of BANCOTEL you will find many threads explaining this fine system.

I stayed at the Suecia in Madrid a 4 star hotel for less than 50 per night.

saludos,
Carmen

#7473 - 10/07/04 11:41 AM Re: Spain in 9 days
tobbria Offline

Puna/Booklady,
Thanks i am looking in to that search i may will find some place in the center of the town for better price.I been to Egypt,China,Jordan,India,
Israel,Hongkong,and when u pay $10.00 to $25.00 per night.
With b/fast w/bath-R. the price in Europe is high.
Thanks

#7474 - 10/07/04 01:00 PM Re: Spain in 9 days
tobbria Offline

Booklady,
I am checking BANCOTEL the charges on most hotels one check twin room. is it for 2pp or one person?
what was your experience ?
Sound to good to be true and if it's true they have the best price.
Thanks

#7475 - 10/07/04 10:11 PM Re: Spain in 9 days
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hello Tobbria,

My experience was great. You pay per room not per person. I bought 3 coupon books, or talonarios, 15 coupons, and used 1 coupon per night at the Suecia Hotel in Madrid, the best location,very desirable and safe area. I stayed 4 days there, then I paid i coupon per night for the Peregrino Hotel in Santiago de compostela, and 1 coupon per night at the Gran Hotel of Salamanca. We splurged on our return to Madrid, and decided to stay at the Princesa because it has a Gym, and my son needed access to a gym. There I paid 2 coupons per night, but this was a 5 star hotel, and you were treated like a princess!

I purchased one Bancotel coupon book here and it was delivered to my house. I purchase two other books at Halcon Travel Agency in Madrid, off the Calle de Alcala. I highly recommend them, as do others on this board. If you do a search you will find that several members have recommended them.

It's a deal, for most hotels all you pay is 50 Euros per night for a room in a 3,4, and sometimes 5 star hotel.

Saludos,
Carmen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments