Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#73624 - 10/29/04 04:20 PM Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
Americans Overseas for Kerry Offline

Loc: Madrid, Barcelona, Salamanca, ...
While the Embassy's "official" party at the Intercontinental Hotel is closed to the public. (even Americans living here,) there will be an election watch party at Chesterfield Cafe, beginning at 8:00pm and ending at 6:00am, this Tuesday, November 2nd, in Madrid. There's gonna be tons of press, the pink press, famosos, live music, DJs, free food...The party of the year. No need to RSVP...Everyone is welcome...Spaniards, Americans, the international community...

#73625 - 10/29/04 05:11 PM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
How typical that the ambassador (check out the slime in HIS past! Incredible) and his party's party would be closed to everyone (probably except Pioneers and Rangers!), and that the Kerry bunch would be open to everyone. I think this sums up the difference between the two canidates quite nicely.

By the way, where is the Chesterfield? What Metro stop?

#73626 - 10/29/04 08:25 PM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
Anonymous
Unregistered

#73627 - 11/01/04 08:35 AM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
MedicalMan Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Well.....I live in Madrid but I am not a Kerry man. I will watch from my living room.

#73628 - 11/01/04 08:52 AM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Be prepared for a long party. The Washington Times just reported that the Gallup POll, which usually has a clear leader in its final pre-election poll just said that the Bush,Kerry poll is even in the six key states! eek

#73629 - 11/01/04 03:41 PM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
I like to party as much as the next guy, but if you start the party at 8PM Madrid time, the west coast time will only be 11AM. As tight as this is going to be, the soonest that you will know anything will be about 3AM Madrid time. Besides all of you Kerry supporters will be doing is eating crow and putting on the black arm bands. :p

#73630 - 11/01/04 05:26 PM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Desert,

You might be hoping that the crow you're going to have to eat is prepared by Master Chef's out of the Sorbonne.

This one is way too tight to call, and might not be decided for a few days, if there are recounts.

As for the election watch in Madrid, that's one helluva party they have planned! It could last for days! Wish I was there to partake. It would be a blast hanging out, waiting for the results. Assuming there's a mix of Republicans and Democrats that can avoid getting into altercations. That's not cool.

Wolf

#73631 - 11/01/04 07:29 PM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
desert dweller Offline

Wolf:
It will be tight but I think Jr. will pull it out. I am like you it could take several days, and I enjoy a good party myself. Just hope those guys are peaceful rather than going for each others neck.

#73632 - 11/01/04 07:43 PM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
Pingüino Offline

Loc: Destin FL
I too, believe it will be a long party...
and after all the votes are counted and recounted ad nauseum , and should Kerry emerge victorious...after all the euphoria is over and the cognitive dissonance sets in...then we'll see that Pete Townshend was right when he said: "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

Cogito cogito ergo sum cogito

#73633 - 11/02/04 08:30 AM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
desert dweller Offline

Wolf, don't worry about the altercations, the La Gaurdia Civil has their way of keeping the peace. Trust me on that one.

I have been watching the papers from France, Germany and Spain for the last several months and there is not doubt that the "Three Stooges" ie. Chirac, Shroder and Zapatero are all in church today praying for Kerry. What none of the three of them wants to take into consideration is even if Kerry does get elected there is still the US congress that they have to deal with, and Jr had the blessing of the Congress going to Iraq.

#73634 - 11/02/04 08:59 AM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
and Jr had the blessing of the Congress going to Iraq.
Yes, after JR gave them false information. rolleyes

#73635 - 11/02/04 10:30 AM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
The crack about the Embassy reception was undeserved. The Republicans won't be there either! The Republicans Abroad are frolicking at the Hard Rock Cafe while the Democrats are at the Chesterfield tonight (where are the Greens and Nader supporters going to be?). Embassy functions are rarely open to just anybody who wants to come in (for security and fiscal reasons). The purpose of the Embassy function is to educate the Spanish about the US electoral process and most of the invitees to the Embassy election night function are not USCs. Doesn't sound like much fun anyway. :p

#73636 - 11/02/04 01:57 PM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
desert dweller Offline

Ignacio:
Once again you have gone out of the way to prove you know nothing about the US. The congress was provided the same information that was provided the President. I might ad your hero Kerry is on the intellegance committee and voted for the war in Iraq. rolleyes

#73637 - 11/02/04 03:44 PM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Good post, Desert Dewler,

Let's face it Saddam Hussein perpretrated the perfect hoax on the world regarding the weapons of mass destruction. He cried Wolf and the world believed him.

The Darfour report contends that Saddam Hussein had everyone convinced, including his own people, that he had these weapons. And since he had the weapons in the early 1990's, and these were well documented by the United Nations, no less, with massive reams of reports, who in his right mind would have doubted him?

Keep in mind that Hussein really feared the Iranians. Certainly all the intelligence agencies believed him, including the European ones, as the Darfur report details.

#73638 - 11/02/04 04:03 PM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Is anyone else planning "Election Day Parties" in Madrid or Spain?

(let's keep to the topic, please)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#73639 - 11/02/04 04:23 PM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
desert dweller Offline

Madrid Man: We are haveing an elections party, it is just that there are many miles between us and thanks to your generosity we have this medium to communicate. I raise my glass and salute you and to the victory of Jr. smile smile smile

#73640 - 11/02/04 04:43 PM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
I am, on Friday. Hoping to celebrate "kerrily", I mean, merrily wink :p

#73641 - 11/02/04 04:47 PM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
pim Offline

Well, it's a post election party, obviously... rolleyes

#73642 - 11/02/04 05:02 PM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
Wolf Offline

pim,

No matter who wins, it's grounds for a party. Either to toast the victory or drink away your sorrows.

Heck! That's the way to throw a party! You got it going! laugh

#73643 - 11/02/04 05:34 PM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
Anonymous
Unregistered

About the topic:

What will be better? Join now, or getting up early? Does somebody know if the place will be closed by the time the votation ends?

Desert dweller:

Sure, man. However, it seems to me that I may more about your country politics than yourself: Did you know that CIA officials have alledged repeatedly that they were pressed by Rumsfeld to find proofs that weren't there?

If not, maybe you should read some independent newspapers. :p

Thus, anyone reading those false files would get false information, the Congress, and in the first place the so called "intelligence" committee.

#73644 - 11/02/04 06:23 PM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
desert dweller Offline

Ignacio: Iam sure that ABC, El Pais and La Monde and Der Stern have all sorts of articles about this issue. If you read some of those rags, some are still saying that John Kennedy is still alive on one of Onasis' islands in the Med. living in a hospital. One of the great things of democracy is you are allowed to beleive anything you want to, you my left wing friend think anything that is anti-American is the gospel. smile smile smile

#73645 - 11/03/04 02:21 AM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

George W. Bush won the popular vote 51% and perhaps the election, folks!

Of the 538 electoral votes Bush needs 270 electoral votes, he has 269 as of 2:00 a.m. with a very close margin in two other states.If Senator Kerry wins the remaining states he too would have 269 electoral votes, a tie which the House would break. Ergo, Bush wins.

Regardless, it may take a few weeks to sort out Florida and Ohio.

#73646 - 11/03/04 05:44 AM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
Wolf Offline

It is over. Bush has won. What I'm taking away from all this is that part of the reason Bush won is due to the outside pressures from other countries.

To put it bluntly, Americans rally around their President when outsiders threaten our nation or him, in almost any way. The general attitude that "Kerry has to win" that we've seen displayed by what we call our friends just had to influence many voters.

Americans aren't very good at "knuckling under" to outside pressures, and since so many Americans aren't really worldy in their views, they see the outside influences as threats against our country - albeit wrong.

Last night, while sitting around with friends, we began talking about what was happening. Two of the five that were with me commented that they had decided to vote for Bush even though they had really preferred Kerry. Their reasons? Because, voting for Kerry would be a sellout of the people who died in Iraq, and Americans just plain don't do that. They felt the world repercussions were not something that we could afford as a nation, if Kerry unilaterally began withdrawing our people from Iraq.

So, in a way, those nations, and those people who so vehemently opposed Bush have to shoulder a little bit of the responsibility for him being back in office. You cannot force Americans to make a choice between their own nation, and the world nation, without it backfiring in our elections. Just like many of you are "Spanairds first," and world citizens second, the majority of people in the US are "Americans first," and world citizens second.

Just my opinion. You're entitled to your own.

Wolf

#73647 - 11/03/04 06:15 AM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
pim Offline

"....when outsiders threaten our nation or him...."
Who is a "threatener" here? (but "Mr. with-me-or-against-me")

"....they see the outside influences as threats against our country..."
OK, that might be more like it, but it's wrong, unless a threat is to say: we don't agree with you unilaterally invading and declaring a war against a country for dubious reasons and won't back you up.

"Two of the five that were with me commented that they had decided to vote for Bush even though they had really preferred Kerry. Their reasons? Because, voting for Kerry would be a sellout of the people who died in Iraq, and Americans just plain don't do that."
???!!!! That's just great. And, errr....who took those now dead people there in the first place?

Sorry Wolf, most of what you explain doesn't make much sense to me, just plain sounds like childish retaliation, and against whom?! I thought the "enemy" was that infamous invention, the "axe of evil"....

To think of the rap we took for voting for Zapatero!... rolleyes

#73648 - 11/03/04 08:08 AM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
Wolf Offline

pim,

Your response was about what I should have expected. But you're totally wrong. I voted for Kerry because I felt the war in Iraq was wrong. Once again, you've decided that I'm "pro-Bush" just because I related a discussion I had with others last night.

It's that bigotry of belief that too many people had against Bush that pushed others over the top, and nearly forced them to vote for him.

You said:

Quote:
Sorry Wolf, most of what you explain doesn't make much sense to me, just plain sounds like childish retaliation, and against whom?! I thought the "enemy" was that infamous invention, the "axe of evil"....
That's not childish pim. It's fact. These two men were essentially Democrats, not Republicans. In fact both of them voted for Gore the last time around. I'm afraid "childish" is being too engrossed in your own personal beliefs to take a moment to reflect on what may have caused the Bush victory. Blindly lashing out at anyone who doesn't "totally agree with your position" is childish in my opinion.

You might learn from that kind of diplomacy instead of blindly following a specific tack that isn't working. If you don't try to understand what actually makes things happen, you certainly can't correct the problem the next time around.

But, like I said in the first post on this subject, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Let's hope people take the time to reflect on what happened, and have the courage to fight the urge to lash out like you did, or the next election will result in another Republican landslide and more control in DC.

To each their own. But being bitter is not going to resolve the problems we have, and no matter how much we whine about the results they aren't going to change one iota, and probably won't in two years, if we don't approach that election with a clear mind.

And one more thing pim. If you're still American, did you vote? If not, you missed your opportunity to speak out and have your voice heard.

Wolf

#73649 - 11/03/04 08:36 AM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
pim Offline

#73650 - 11/03/04 08:59 AM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
Wolf Offline

pim,

Reference to someone's position on an issue as being "childish" is a slap in the face. Neither of these men (one of which served 3 terms in DC as a member of the House of Representatives - Democrat I might add - and left because he got tired of the back room dealings of politics, not because he was beat in an election) deserves to be insulted like you did them.

If you're wondering why we react as we do, just remember the term "childish." You did exactly what the Republicans would hope you'd do. People will vote against statements like that to prove they are loyal to their nation, and the person who throws out comments like that are foolish.

Like I said, try to understand the influences as to what motivates people how to vote. Running blindly at an issue and throwing insults at anyone who disagrees will push more people over to the other side than you'd imagine.

Why do you think that Bush won so many southern states which at one time were part of the "solid south," and purely in the Democratic column for decades? Because the Republicans have done their homework over the years, and flexed their positions on issues to reflect the concerns of the people in these states. In the meantime, the Democrats kept thinking that they had those states all wrapped up, and they didn't have to do a darned thing to keep them in house.

Learn from errors, and address the problems, and hope you don't let history repeat itself. But never, never, believe that your point of view is the correct one, and everyone else's point of view has to be wrong simply because you don't agree with it. You'll end up losing almost every time.

Wolf

#73651 - 11/03/04 09:23 AM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
pim Offline

Wolf,
I thought you said everybody is entitled to their opinions....mmm....I guess not me, uh? Why is that? Because YOU don't agree with me? Uff!!!, there we go again.... frown ....you're not realizing you're accusing me of doing exactly what you are doing, therefore this "conversation" is never going to go anywhere.

I do not believe I've insulted anyone, in fact, I know I haven't, never meant to, I was being honest and still think that specific motive you've talked about is childish, or simplistic if you will, and that behaviour is not necessarily related to age; now, if to you it's the most mature attitude possible, then that's fine, I don't have a problem with it! smile

"Your response was about what I should have expected. But you're totally wrong...."

"It's that bigotry of belief that too many people had against Bush that pushed others over the top...."

How is that for an insult?, when as far as I know you don't know me at all, heck, you even thought I could be an American! confused But I wasn't the least bit offended because 'no ofende el que quiere, sino el que puede'. rolleyes

"Like I said, try to understand the influences as to what motivates people how to vote...."

Indeed, I was asking QUESTIONS, Wolf, get it?

As I said, this is rather ludicrous, so I'm ending my participation right here.

#73652 - 11/03/04 09:26 AM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Soooo... to TRY to get us back on topic here in this Spain-related "Classifieds & Personals" forum, how was the gathering? How late did it last? How was the food?

Let's try to keep discussions about the election and its results to the "Non-Spain Discussion" forum. Thanks.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#73653 - 11/03/04 11:12 AM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the end, due to the doubts I said in my previous message, I didn't attend. Anybody was there and can comment? Tense? Fun? Many people? smile

#73654 - 11/03/04 11:18 AM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

There is a lot to celebrate at this party; first that democracy won. The people, by a large margin made their choice.

Record numbers of voters got out and voted, they fulfilled their civic duty well. It is aproud day to be an American and just this fact is a good fact to celebrate. Wish I were there!

Salud!

#73655 - 11/03/04 01:38 PM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
desert dweller Offline

As Booklady said it is a time to celebrate democracy. It is also time for us to all put our differences aside and get back to work. Our country needs for all of us to pull together and solve some of its problems. Jr. is not perfect I never siad that he is, and some of the problems that America has he has induced. The important thing is that we can all be proud of, that for over 200 hundred years now the voting booth has been the way we have solved the "change of the gaurd." This is not a time for arrogance and bragging, it is a time for conceliation. One of the problems that we all need to start working on our elected officals is to bring about a amendment to the constitution to eleminate the Electoral College.

Madrid Man, thank you for allowing us to use this cite to post our differences and put them out for the world to see. Lets all drink a toast to Madird Man. Most importantly drink a toast to the Red White and Blue, and wheater you like him or not, democracy put Jr. back in for another four years, heres to Jr.

Now everyone get back to work and take care of you own household economy, and the nation's economy will take care of its self.

Good luck to eveyone hope to meet all of you in person someday. That includes you to Ignacio.

#73656 - 11/03/04 02:39 PM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Well I went to the count party at the Chesterfield Cafe here in Madrid last night. It was a bit like a frat party, actually. The crowd was huge, pro-Kerry and wildly enthusiastic. That's the thing I often admire about US citizens. Their optimism. I was staring into the abyss (it might have been the gin tonics) by about 5 AM and all these Kerry supporters were still cheering and convinced they'd pull it off. I then got home went to bed and had a rude and not unexpected awakening. Now, will it be Hillary in 2008?!!!

#73657 - 11/03/04 04:43 PM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
JoeSambuca Offline

Loc: New York City
Hey Madridman,
I think we should move towards a democracy here on the Madridman board. I move for a vote to remove all topics in regards to political debate. I've been a member since 2000 and I think all these political debates (which are always the same) take away from the integrity of this great web site which I love.
If I want political debate, I go to CNN, BBC, bla, bla, bla. If I want Spanish insight, tips on travel, make new friends from other cultures...I come here.
ViVA LE RESITANCE TO POLITTICAL MUMBO JUMBO
VOTE NO!
wink

#73658 - 11/03/04 05:36 PM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Barry:

I had the suspect I had lost a great time. Confirmed now! frown

#73659 - 11/03/04 07:04 PM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

JoeSambuca wrote:
Quote:
Hey Madridman,
I think we should move towards a democracy here on the Madridman board. I move for a vote to remove all topics in regards to political debate. I've been a member since 2000 and I think all these political debates (which are always the same) take away from the integrity of this great web site which I love.
Yeah. I agree with you 100%, JoeSambuca, regarding your comment about it taking away from the board. I don't care for it either and added the "Non-Spain Discussion" forum for...well.. NON-Spain Discussions including political discussions. This particular thread is here in the "Classifieds & Personals" forum because it's a CALL for a Gathering but, well, you know how things go. People tend to pile on with their political views even though it has nothing to do with the WHAT, WHERE, WHEN details of the gathering itself which takes place IN SPAIN so it wouldn't really fit in the "Non-Spain Discussion" forum.

Saludos, MadridMan

#73660 - 11/04/04 03:21 AM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
Just been watching an interesting series of programmes....does this prove Mr Bush and Mr Blair have been lying to us?
www.bbc.co.uk/nightmares

#73661 - 11/04/04 09:35 AM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Bricamb wrote:
Quote:
Just been watching an interesting series of programmes....does this prove Mr Bush and Mr Blair have been lying to us? http://www.bbc.co.uk/nightmareswww.bbc.co.uk/nightmares .
As I said above in my most previous posting, postings like yours belong in the "Non-Spain Discussion" forum. This is a SPAIN-Related "Classifieds & Personals" forum. Thanks.

Saludos, MadridMan

#73662 - 11/04/04 09:40 AM Re: Election Night Party....Open to All (Madrid)
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Dear Bricamb,

I would like to ask questions, but feel it would be impolite to Madridman (see his post above)to do so in this the "Election party" thread.

Did you attend the party, by the way?

Saludos,
Carmen

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Atwaihb@aol.com, califbb, Texas Ybarra
Who's Online
0 registered (), 546 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments