MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#72995 - 09/16/03 03:25 AM Philadelphia Dinner
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hey everyone --

I have yet to see a Philadelphia gathering planned although there are many members from the Philadelphia area.

So, I am going to test the waters here... I will be in Philadelphia over Columbus Day weekend and would like to propose a dinner for Friday, October 10th. Last time I was in the city, there werenīt any Spanish restaurants (to my knowledge) although things are changing quickly. There are several cuban-inspired restaurants that have opened over the past couple of years and rumor has it that a tapas restaurant will be opening in Old City (that is insider information folks!). One of my favorite restaurants is Tierra Colombiana, although it isnīt Spanish and itīs location might turn off some of our suburban members (North 5th Street).

I know that there is a relatively new (couple of years) Spanish restaurant in East Goshen/West Chester area. Perhaps some of our local boardmembers...El viajero, Eddie or Diana can echar una mano here.

Anybody up for dinner on the 10th? I am going to try and gather up some of my stateside friends as well!

#72996 - 09/16/03 02:21 PM Re: Philadelphia Dinner
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Chica, this is a great idea! Unfortunately I can't make it on Oct. 10, but I hope you'll get enough interest to make it happen!

The Spanish restaurant we go to is La Encina, on route 3 in East Goshen. Its web site is http://www.laencinarestaurant.com/index.htm
You can read the menu, check out prices, get directions, etc.

The food is very good! The tapas are excellent, as are the entrees and desserts. The olive oil sorbet is unusual but delicious!(And the recipe is a secret.) The tarta de Santiago is out of this world. The pulpo on the aperitivos menu is probably the best I've ever tasted, anywhere! I've had it on two separate occasions, and I highly recommend it! The paella IS good, HOWEVER -- a word of warning - it is spiced very differently than your standard Spanish paella. If you order the paella hoping to get a taste of Spain, you may be disappointed. If you order it to try a new twist, you'll probably be impressed. The menu offers a great mix of traditionally delicious Spanish dishes and the chef's own excellent creations based on typical ingredients used in Spain.

Hope things work out!

#72997 - 09/19/03 03:17 AM Re: Philadelphia Dinner
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Hi Diana --

Yes, La Encina is the restaurant that my stateside friends frequent and have become friendly with the owner. I know that they are anxious for me to try it out as well.

Sorry you wonīt be able to make it...

Any other Philadelphians? El Viajero, Eddie? Winston?

#72998 - 09/19/03 05:50 AM Re: Philadelphia Dinner
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Sorry, Chica! I don't get out very much. If I do dine out it is for the midday meal rather than the evening meal. I like a couple of Portuguese restaurants just up 5th street (other side of the Boulevard) from Tierra Colombiana. One is on 5th. (4900 block), the other is on Tabor, just off 5th. smile

I guess I am getting too old to keep up with the young Chavales. rolleyes

#72999 - 09/19/03 05:53 PM Re: Philadelphia Dinner
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Hey Eddie!

No problem ... although I donīt consider myself a young chavala anymore. wink Maybe some weekend some year we can plan a midday meal!! smile

#73000 - 09/27/03 09:59 AM Re: Philadelphia Dinner
el viajero Offline

Hiya, Chica --

I'd love to meet for lunch or dinner, whichever works best for people. Weekdays or weekends are great. (The joys of working from home!) I don't have a car, so something in Center City, University City, or relatively near one of those would be best. Tuesday evenings and Thursdays are booked, but any other day is usually fine.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments