Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#7300 - 09/21/04 11:47 AM Re: Should we tip the chamber maid ?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Good points, MM.

If you are in doubt about giving money, you may want to give the chambermaid a nice recommendation at the desk, in front of the managers. Explain why her service made your stay so enjoyable. Praise is seldom eschewed in any culture.

#7301 - 09/21/04 03:04 PM Re: Should we tip the chamber maid ?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I'm with Ignacio:
Quote:
It's not customary in Spain. You don't need to do it, and I believe it's not one custom we should import. I hate having to tip in some places only because the tourists' customs have made it popular, like taxis or bars. Fortunately, an inmense majority of spaniards don't tip at all anybody at the hotel.
But I stay mainly in 'mom & pop' type Hostals at which the Owners or the Owners' family do the chores.

As for tipping in restaurants: If there is a 'Service' charge on the bill, my top tip will be about 5%. I don't know if that 'Service' charge finds its way back to the wait staff but I think it should.

I don't tip the bartender if I have a drink at the bar but I might tip a waitress who serves me at a table.

I really deplore the fact that Big-tipping (mostly American) tourists have led many Spanish service-providers to expect tips for just doing a small service, thus ruining things for those of us who prefer to follow the lead of our Spanish hosts.

#7302 - 09/25/04 02:35 PM Re: Should we tip the chamber maid ?
AJ_dup1 Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
MadridMan- I think you’re right and its more cultural differences. When I say super polite, it was basically stopping my conversation with companions and acknowledging servers by saying ‘thanks’, etc. when they bought stuff to the table. It wasn’t over the top fake or inauthentic but just remembering manners even when I was engaged in a great conversation with people at the table. Fwiw—I definitely don’t mind people being themselves, but when I’m paying for a service (here or aboard) I would like a soda served without literally slamming the glasses down on the table and a bad attitude.

As for tipping a housekeeper/maid, I think Booklady is on the mark since tipping isn’t the norm. I’ve never heard of praise not being appreciated worldwide. (especially in front of the boss)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments